RE: QUALITY ISSUE - Caravan & Motorhome Club - Eriba Troll review - June 2018

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 31, 2018 10:31 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 31, 2018 10:43 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

So we are now looking at probably a 2018 van and Hymer have still not addressed the unsuitable plywood issue used in carcase work.
This was originally brought to light 5/6 years ago.
What is wrong with the company. Do they want to wreck the good name of Eriba?

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 31, 2018 10:52 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #31
A recent example of poor quality...../
I must have got hold of the wrong end of the stick; I thought he was having a grump about the velcro

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 31, 2018 10:55 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I don't do any of this social media malarkey. Can someone paraphrase the content?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 31, 2018 11:02 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #34
I don't do any of this social media malarkey...
Ditto

Last edited Thu May 31, 2018 11:06 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:22 am
by swa49 (deleted)

Eriba Touring '60', less than a year old, with the common overhead locker door hinge issue. It looks like the locker door has been coming down in transit, and has ripped the hinges from the carcass. There at least appears to be carcass damage. The Velcro 'strap' has been used to secure the locker at the top. This is effective but very ugly.

We have a continual battle with the hinge screws coming loose, and tighten them regularly, but luckily we've never had a locker door fly open and cause further damage. I've removed some of the screws and wrapped PTFE tape around them to give better grip. Only time will tell if they hold any better. If they don't, I'll try the old matchstick trick. Some vans have had aluminium strengthening strips applied under warranty, where the hinge meets the carcass.

Triton 430GT + Golf mk7 2.0TDi DSG

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:23 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:37 am
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

Might be worth getting some sort of poll together? Without the full picture it is impossible to know if problems are wide spread or isolated.

There are clearly a number of recurring locker and toilet door issues but these may be from a vocal and justifiably disappointed minority or a much bigger problem. People will post when their locker comes loose, people won’t post when their locker stays firm as expected.

For the record, I have had a 2018 Troll for just 1 month with no real issue. I’ll reserve judgement until my first 1 year service, but very happy so far.

~ N

~ 530 and proud

Williebraveheart likes this post!
Last edited Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:37 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:39 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

I'm perfectly happy to be proved wrong, but I really don't think that unsuitable plywood or screws driven in wonky is the cause of this locker hinge issue.

I don't doubt that they're contributory factors, but I'm pretty convinced that the main reason for the continual loosening of the screws (accompanied by and caused by) the splitting of the locker edge to which the short side of the hinge is attached, is that the hinge is the wrong kind.

Once that particular hinge opens beyond 180º the door exerts a lateral force on the two screws in the locker edge.

That lateral force will loosen the screws unless you hold the locker door all the way through its opening movement to prevent the hinge opening beyond 180º.

If you forget, and let the door drop the last bit by itself (and that's easy enough to do at any time) the hinge binds and pulls the screws sideways, so the loosening action is repeated even in what you could quite justifiably call 'normal use'.

If the catch fails in transit and the door falls open, the effect is greatly exaggerated and the locker edge will likely as not start to split. And the screws become looser.

There's a hole in my bucket, Dear Liza, Dear Liza...

Earlier vans (including ours) have cast articulated hinges which, by design, don't allow this to happen. There is no unwanted lateral force imparted to the fixing screws with an articulated hinge. It doesn't bind on itself like those horrible cheap things do because it allows the door to move beyond the vertical when fully open. There's slightly fuzzy picture of one here:

P1040100 (Large).JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The screws on those have never shown any signs of coming loose. Ever.

The carcase material on earlier vans is the same balsa, cuckoo spit and micro-veneer ply as the later ones, but because they use the proper hinges, the screws don't loosen.

All carcase material, wherever it's used, has to be as light as possible and for obvious reasons. That isn't a problem as long as the correct fittings are used with it.

The later hinges are completely wrong in that application. They aren't designed to do that job. It's as simple as that. It's cheapskate cost-cutting and no more.

The workshop bodge (and that's what it is, a bodge) of fitting an aluminum strip to the locker edge works not because it stops the screws from loosening per se, but because it prevents the screws from being pulled sideways by the hinge, and that's what loosens the screws.

None of this would have happened if Hymer had stuck with the proper bloody hinges instead of trying to save a few Pfennigs by buying a giant economy box of the crappy cheap ones.

, Ray Lawrence, , granddadgrape, Eribanut and like this post!
Last edited Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:16 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:51 am
by granddadgrape | 1.560 Posts

So far we have only used our 2014 Triton twice but on each occasion I have had to tighten many hinge screws. Fortunately, nothing has fallen off yet.

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420

Last edited Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:52 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:49 am
by Clippie (deleted)

With our previous 2014 Triton GT and the issues that Blueyonder has all ready pointed out, I remember that AL had put a silver strip as a bottom trim that went all round the bottom of the over head lockers so that when the door hinges were refitted they actually stay screwed into the wood. Apparently (according to AL) this was necessary work-a-round as the wood/ply that was used to make the lockers was defective. We were not the only van so affected, if I remember correctly Frantone has the same problem.

All said and done I wouldn't want anything else!

Clippie

Gofer for 2014 Triton 420 GT & Landrover Discovery Sport.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:42 pm
by Smilesapart (deleted)

When I first got my brand new Eriba last year I was so appalled by the terrible build quality of my £25,000 Troll compared to my previous 5 year old Coachman that I posted my disappointment on here. I was trolled with so much anger from other Eriba owners furious that I’d dared to criticise the Eriba that not only did I have my posts closed by the monitor, but it’s taken me a year to pluck up the courage to come back.
I have now made friends with my Eriba and love it, but all my criticisms of it still stand. So in some ways this post makes me feel somewhat vindicated in what I’d said

Eribanut and Williebraveheart like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:16 pm
by swa49 (deleted)

The criticisms that I have read on this and other threads are largely justified, but I don't see anything changing, due to supply and demand. If people stopped buying due to poor quality, Hymer would have to react. What gets me is that many problems are recurring, locker doors, touch lights and washroom doors being the obvious examples. It just means that you have to constantly go around the van, tightening this and checking that. Problems which are well known and well understood really should be addressed in a subsequent model year or in any new model.

None of this stops me loving our van and the fun and freedom it provides, but it can be frustrating.

Triton 430GT + Golf mk7 2.0TDi DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:14 pm
by Grandad Super (deleted)

We have had the following problems with our 2017 Triton 430
One overhead locker door dropped off on the way home from the first nights use,
Five doors all found to be cracked around the hinge screw holes,
All touch lights faulty.
The above problems were sorted out by dealer , six new overhead locker doors were fitted and all six touch lights replaced by a different type.
Washroom door locating peg repaired by myself,
Door lock operates if door closed sharply - awaiting repair when caravan has its first service next month, otherwise ok so far.
It survived a 5000 mile trip to northern Norway on many rough roads with no problems.

PooleDweller likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:28 am
by Strathspey (deleted)

We have a 2017 Troll GT which we love but there are irritating issues that should not occur in a new 'van. Individually they are minor niggles, but collectively they combine to highlight design and quality control issues.

We find that...
1. washroom door - the plywood is thin and low density, the hinge screws are small don't "bite"; routine checking and tightening required; door needs to be held shut (by electric hook-up cable drum!) when towing.
2. overhead locker doors - one fell off when hinge screws worked loose! all screws checked and tightened open overhead lockers with care perhaps a simple "safety strap" is needed to ensure doors can't drop down too far
3. the frames for the settees/beds pulled away at front corners, on both sides strengthening required at corners and seat stays
4. the ceiling touch screen spot lights are unreliable; when hot when they will not go off and some come on intermittently (SO vexing when asleep!); using the electricity master switch is the only sure solution.

So, cabinet work and light fittings are sub par. Our (UK built) Coachman had zero faults; we did not anticipate quality concerns when we down-sized to a German built Eriba.

The response to Colin/erbaMotters from C&MC... and Hymer/Eriba?!... will be interesting.

Strathspey (snow on the high tops, geese migrating south and fine early autumn colours in Speyside!)

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:58 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Our 2017 Triton currently has 7 overhead lockers with split doors.

The front rail mounting the 2 overhead cabs has split.

The table fitting pulls the aluminium channel away from the front bulkhead on every use. Design fault due to how the channel on the table interlocks with the channel.

There are 6 flat head bolts on each slatted base. Nuts had dropped off some - all others were lose.

Half the blinds and fly screens need to be re-tensioned - and no we don't leave them down all the time unless we have to - you know, like, to keep flies out.

Touch lights used to come at at random intervals - those that were replaced now get bored and switch off as and when they feel like it.

I should have got that nice 230GT - I certainly would not buy another new model Eriba!

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1