RE: Removing the poptop canvas

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:14 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.740 Posts

Excellent work, Roger and Amanda.

When it's all sorted, don't forget to do a step-by-step guide for the 'How to................' section.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:09 pm
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

Sunbrella

We are led to believe thar Eriba use Sunbrella for its poptops. However, when I read up about the product, Sunbrella is an acrylic and their claim is that it is mould and mildew repellent. adding that any mould or mildew on Sunbrella is a result of it attacking dirt in the fabric and not the fabric itself.

It is also suggested that the UV stable colours in Sunbrella are added chemically to the acrylic before weaving and therefore it is not possible to successfully dye Sunbrella Fabric.

So, after all that rubbing and scrubbing of our poptop before taking it off and after two washing machine washes, why could we not remove the mould? After all they claim that the mould should disappear with the dirt and they also claim that nothing will dye the fabric yet the mould did.

So, two washes later at 30 degree C and a level full of "Vanish".and washing powder most of the fabric came up well but the mould spots were still there. Previously after experimenting with various products the only thing I found successful in removing a patch of mould was undiluted bleach.

This morning, using the top of our trailer as a scrubbing board, I tried undiluted "Vanish" following the instructions on the packet. After about half an hour there was only a small improvement on the patch I tried so there was nothing more for it than to use undiluted bleach.

I scrubbed about half of the affected area with a small paintbrush and then left it for 15 minutes before hosing it off. It looked good. Therefore carried on with the rest of it and after hosing it off went back to tackle a few of the really stubborn stains to good effect.

Back in the washing machine for a third wash with "Vanish" and washing powder and although still slightly damp (didn't tumble dry) it looks remarkable good.We just have to hope now that it doesn't fall apart with all that bleaching although in reality, I only used a cup full of bleach and washed it off with gallons of cold water.

Going back to Sunbrella, it was our secondary plan that Mrs R could make a new poptop if our attempts to recover the existing one failed. However we can't find Sunbrella material for sale in the UK for love nor money.

If all goes to plan, we intend putting the poptop back sometime next week as it's a delight to work on other projects in the van with all that daylight and fresh air. We hope to get the Eriba put under its covers before bl**dy Halloween and Firework month ( no longer Firework night I'm afraid ).

Silicone Spray
I know a number of folk use this. Do you think it would help in reinstalling the poptop and if so is this one any good (it says it's non staining) https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-sili...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:26 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:52 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

I notice that Sunbrella have specific cleaning instructions for each of their different fabrics.

https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/how-to-clean

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:45 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.740 Posts

Silicone spray will lubricate the channel and make it easier to slide the fabric into it.

If you don't fancy spraying it and risking getting it all over the place, could you something like Cotton Buds or a small paintbrush instead?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #18
I notice that Sunbrella have specific cleaning instructions for each of their different fabrics.

https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/how-to-clean

Yes, know it off by heart now. I've read it must be a dozen times in the past week and nothing they say worked, not at the strength they were advising anyway.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: Dilemma with my Sunbrella

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:50 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Hi R,

here's a link to Sunbrella, and their uk stockists:https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/fabrics/recommended-uses
here's a link to another company for attaching:kedersolutions.com

I am sure you if you contacted them and explained the end use they would be able to come up with a suitable fabric.

Mike.

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Skoda 2.0 TDi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:55 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

You could also try this company in Tiverton Devon. www.heathcoat.co.uk
They have a shop at their factory which I supply, don't bother with them, go to the sales dept at the factory, and explain your requirements.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:20 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Randa, if you stick with your existing canvas will you re-proof it?

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Yes but I'll do it when it's back in place as I'm worried about the amount of handling that has to take place to fit the poptop. I've already got the 303 spray. That's what I used last time and it proved to be good stuff.

Randa

Last edited Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:23 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:26 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Do you need to mask the rest of the van to apply the 303 spray?
You have the canvas in front of you so you obviously think it will be easier with it mounted up. Interesting

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:38 pm

Didn't have much trouble last time Ray. Up the ladder and some newspaper loosly applied to the roof curve. Most of the spray was quicly absorbed by the fabric and I quickly removed the newspaper and wiped the bodywork before moving on. It took very little time to complete the task as the canvas was held taut by the roof.

I can't see that any overspray quickly removed from a highly polished surface can do much damage. It certainly didn't effect our roof when I last did it.

Randa

Last edited Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:41 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:57 pm

Before:- sIMG_6566.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) sIMG_6585.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) After.

Randa

Julie Grafo, rs540, Big Al, Aaron Calder and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:46 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Hi Roger,
Result!
Your after pic is the same colour as our pop top canvas, which at 17 years old is about the same age as yours.
Now for the reconstruction!!!!
Bon chance .

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:27 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

hi Randa's
I am here fresh from the yummy pink pancakes, just shared in cookery.
battle of the bulge hahaha funny ;-)
but the second method is easier than the first.
screwed the bottom clip holder back on to secure the roof here,
used the outside caravan polish for the rail with a microfibre cloth, maguires, think is carabunga, or what ever that hard c wax stuff is. guesses on a post card teehee
(why bananas spring to mind is completely beyond thinking, swiftly moving on.)
its a tiny amount, so hopefully wont damage the sunbrella, but hopefully will aid slippage.
.did the 303 before fitting here, do what ever is easiest for you both,
nice result on the pop , mines the same colour as your clean one, just to confirm.
will run and hide till you shout eriba eriba

have fun,
regards A

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Last edited Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:53 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:10 am

Now here's something for you all to chuckle about on this cold and frosty Saturday.

Crepe Bandage

While worrying about how to protect our poptop from the condensation on the aluminium rail around the hole in the roof I thought of a removable cloth between roof fabric and extrusion.

Finally I came up with a idea of trying 100mm wide crepe bandage sweat band similar to the one John Macenro used to wear, about the same size too , about 8 metres long. This could sit over the lip of the extrusion and could be used during damp weather or storage and will be easy to remove for washing and drying.

Worth experimenting with it for a few quid.

Randa

likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12510 topics and 105561 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0