Cooking in a Caravan, preferably an Eriba!

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:35 pm
by Daisy (deleted)

I am getting on a bit, been camping in tents, caravans and an Eribacar. It is pretty cramped for huge cooking sessions so I keep a few things handy and stocked up in the cupboards. Practice before travelling.

Firstly. Ainsley Harriotts cous cous. I like the roasted veg one Just boiling water and measuring jug for this. No cooking. Goes with most things. Great with sausages or any meats really. Even salads. Plain cous cous is a bit awful. aboutv75p.

Secondly. There are two min rice packets in Sainsburys and probably elsewhere. They state you need a microwave. Not necessarily. Just add a spoon or two of wAter to a frying pan. Squeeze the packet to break up lumps of the cooked rice inside and put it into the water. Stir until wAter absorbed. Couple of mins. Done. We like the brown rice.this method is an old way of doing this. Again practice before trip. Very cheap in Sainsburys. About 45p. Use with t8ns ofvcurrybforcexamp,e, chops, sausages.

I do not recommend cookingvCHICKEN when camping. Hard enough as it is sometimes and food poisoning is not funny.

More later

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Cooking in a Caravan, preferably an Eriba!

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:50 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.301 Posts

Daisy, get yourself a Remoska. If you go the new route then don't go to Leyland Plastics, try here:- https://www.alza.co.uk/remoska-r-21f-ori...on-d4589620.htm Keep an eye out on Gumtree, far cheaper than e-bay.
I love my cooking and thought them a gimmick, but now I'm a convert like many Eriba owners. Marvellous jackets, wonderful croissants, re-heats stews a treat. I've roasted a chicken, cooked cakes and baked scones. there is not a lot they will not do. Lightweight, low power consumption and easy to clean. When we arrive on site after a long journey our pre-prepared meal comes out of the fridge and into the Remoska. By the time we've set up our meal is ready. Brilliant.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Eribanut and like this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:48 am
by monoboard | 350 Posts

Toast.Any recommendations for for doing toast without a toaster. I've seen the little wire racks you put on top of a gas ring, didn't know if they were any good or read that some people put it in a skillet.

Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 am
by Phillip (deleted)

A small ribbed skillet pan I think is what I would look at as a substitute than the rack, you can experiment with patterns too

Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:29 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.073 Posts

Our RidgeMonkey does toasties and toast. We have the large one that can also do the breakfast fry ups and other clever cooking beyond my capabilities.

https://ridgemonkey.co.uk/product/connec...andwich-toaster

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:31 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

Hi Colin

Never having used a Remoska, is it very different from a slow cooker. I gather the heat comes from the top rather than a slow cooker at the bottom.

many thanks
monoboard

Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:56 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

Toast = wire pyramid on gas ring. Use the larger ring, turn frequently and open the vent / window.
Damp or soggy bread will curl a lot - hence the frequent rotation.
Wait for wire thingy to cool down before picking it up - no, really it does hurt!

Freelander 2 trundling MegaPuck 410
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:46 pm

On a Remoska the heat does come from the top, all 400/470W of it. It is not a slow cooker, although things do cook more slowly than your oven at home, eg jackets will take a bit over an hour.

Colin

A nice one with the optional rack has just come up on Gumtree, £50 https://www.gumtree.com/p/slow-cookers/l...ker-/1349206781

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:00 pm | Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:04 am
by Daisy (deleted)

I really do think as a camper of over fifty years practice that machinery all over the place, remoskas etc is unnecessary. a bit of imagination and simplicity. As I said before two minute brown rice is just that with tins of chicken korma, chicken in whites sauce. Other chicken tins. Beef curry tins. Irish stew with added tinned peas and baby carrots (in one tin) with french sticks is good. Add tinned potatoes. Beef casserole tins. Chilli con carne. Any meat or vegetable dishes in tins. This is only holiday food. You are not trying for a Michelin Star! Muesli for breakfast with toast ( a toaster in a supermarket is dirt cheap) get a small one. I could not do without ours. Small white and cheap. Use it for baked beans or egg on toast am. Eat out a couple of times. Stick to pubs. Usually good and inexpensive. More when memory allows.

WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:25 am
by Daisy (deleted)

Ps I do understand the Remoska but I cook Allsorts at home. French, Chinese, Italian, Indian and English. Therefore I am happy not to be a chef if camping. These days mainly travel by ship so irrelevant but this is what I found the easiest, quickest and tastiest with very little time when we camped. By tent, Caravan and finally motorhome. You walk a lot when camping I find so exercise off any fattening foods, it’s only for a few weeks, I prefer to be outside than tied to a cooker.
No doubt bbq’s are popular but beware a lot of people have no idea how to use one properly. Undercooked meats are dangerous. You need to know how they work and not just throw a bit of meat on and guessing it ‘looks’ done. Takes experience.a Spanish friend a bbq expert does not even put things on his until it glows red hot which takes some time although he will put spuds in tinfoil under the coals. Those one use things are not great! Nite nite.

Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:36 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Daisy, its horses for courses. I couldn't face chicken out of tin and have never poisoned anyone by cooking it camping. We take the remoska, an induction hob. Before leaving home, I sous vide proteins so I have vacuum packed chicken thighs, fish, sausages, i take a well equipped stash of onions, garlic, fresh fruit and veg....and we love shopping for local specialities . If we want chips, we get them from the campsite restaurant.....eating for us is a big deal......which is why I'm round and cuddly lol.
The remoska is not a one use gadget. Look at the cookbook on Amazon to get an idea. I took a lot of convincing too but since we've had ours, we use it all the time at home as well as in the van.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
eribanaut, highmiler and like this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:50 am

Daisy,
there are many things I like about this forum, and one of them is learning how we all have a different opinion and what works for one differs from another. What matters is we all enjoy ourselves and long may it last.

Colin

eribanaut, mr_underhill, Eribanut, campnsnooze and like this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:23 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

For us that wouldn't work, taking 90 days of tinned food? I'd need a Ford Transit just for the tins
We take herbs and spices and enough fresh food for a couple of days then buy and cook fresh as we go, although we do take a couple of emergency tins just in case but we usually arrive back home with them.
To us part of the adventure and fun of traveling too different countries is to discover and try cooking different foods and dishes.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Eribanut, eribaMotters, Crystal, highmiler and like this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:03 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

We bought a Ramoska with Collins link last year, we hardly use our oven at home now as we use it all the time... we bought the wire insert and then cut a chip mesh tray to fit it. This way can cook pies at the bottom with the oven chips over the top which stops them getting soggy. Also small items can be cooked on the raised wire rack. If you want to do the same here is a link for the chip tray. https://www.amazon.co.uk/zizzi-Quickachi...ps%2C168&sr=8-4

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:22 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

We use our Remoska at home all the time. I clocked it at 240C with an oven thermometer. We often use a bit of aluminium foil to shield stuff for half the cooking time just to prevent top singeing - esp for things like Samosas or similar.

Freelander 2 trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 36 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105611 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4