RE: Cooking in a Caravan, preferably an Eriba!

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:38 am
by Randa france | 12.866 Posts

A Slow Cooker. Now you're talking.

Missus R chops a bit of this and a bit of that before bunging it in and switching it on before we go out in the morning.

By mid to late afternoon there is a wonderful aroma coming from the van, especially inviting on a cold or rainy day.

It's so easy. (look out, incoming .......)

Nobody seems to use a Halogen oven anymore, including us.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Crystal likes this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:49 am
by Crystal | 245 Posts

Hate to say it, but he's right especially if the weather is iffy. However, I much prefer to cook from scratch, outside, using one pan and our induction hob. So quick and you can do more complicated things like flat chips with meat and veg if you get organised. It's very easy to clean and wash up. Also we take a small toasty maker - makes amazing things with baguettes, and have also been successful with sausages - no splatter to clear up!

1999 Eriba Troll
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:27 am
by KeithDM (deleted)

Currently looking at buying a ceramic induction hob. Most seem to have a rating of 2000 Watts and on some the power level can be selected (as an alternative to temperature). On others it is just the desired temperature that can be selected. BUT I get the impression that they all 'pulse' the power level on & off. 2000 Watts means circa 9 Amps, so a potential circuit-breaker tripper on many continental sites.
Are people experiencing such a problem?

KeithDM
2019 Troll 540 & 6300 Canopy + G3 Residence Room
2015 Honda CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC EX
Emile the Second
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:33 am

No problems at all Keith. We've used a single hob "Andrew James" hob for several years and we've never experienced a power cut.

The Andrew James automatically comes in at 50% therefore 1000 Watts and you can turn the power down immediately to suit the campsite amperage. Mrs R normally cooks on 1000 Watts or less and has never had to use any more power whatever site we're on.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

and eribanaut like this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:34 am | Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:39 am
by KeithDM (deleted)

Thanks Randa. We are currently(!) looking at a number of hobs and the A. James one is on the list, however some user feedback comments criticise the noise level from the fan. How do you find it?

KeithDM
Emile the Second

Last edited Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:39 am | Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:02 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.302 Posts

We use this as it has a low start up wattage. It has not caused any issues on start up on 6 amp supply. https://www.johnlewis.com/tefal-ih201840...ion-hob/p592363

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Quote: KeithDM wrote in post #20
Thanks Randa. We are currently(!) looking at a number of hobs and the A. James one is on the list, however some user feedback comments criticise the noise level from the fan. How do you find it?

Cor, I ask you. Some people are not happy unless they are complaining. There is a fan noise but it's not that noisy and, I suppose, it proves that the fan is working . The hob should not be switched off until the fan stops.

This is our second Andrew James in seven years and the customer service is second to none. The first one when delivered, had a crack in the bottom (nothing that'd effect the use of the hob) and they replaced it within three days, no objection, and told us to dispose of the first one. We still have it as a spare.

Randa

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:33 pm | Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:37 pm
by KeithDM (deleted)

Thanks - good info. Unfortunately both A. James and Amazon are out of stock, so (as we need to make a decision asap) will probably go for the very similar-looking VonShef Induction Hob | Portable Ceramic Electric Cooking Hob with 180 Minute Timer & LED Display Panel | 2000W from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(is there no hyper-link function in the forum?)

KeithDM
Emile the Second
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:41 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: KeithDM wrote in post #23
Thanks - good info. Unfortunately both A. James and Amazon are out of stock, so (as we need to make a decision asap) will probably go for the very similar-looking VonShef Induction Hob | Portable Ceramic Electric Cooking Hob with 180 Minute Timer & LED Display Panel | 2000W from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017...=UTF8&psc=1
(is there no hyper-link function in the forum?)

Save £1 if you buy direct !

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Looks like the business Do you now need some induction hob friendly pots?

We bought and use these as they stack into each other to save space when traveliing. https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15894202/ou...-large-15894202

Randa

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:14 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I got one in Aldi during a promotion. Fantastic. We can use it on several power settings from 200watts to 2000. We use it at either 800 or 1000 without any problem. Perhaps takes a bit longer to cook but who cares???????

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
eribanaut, Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:23 pm
by KeithDM (deleted)

Zitat
Looks like the business Do you now need some induction hob friendly pots?

We bought and use these as they stack into each other to save space when traveliing. https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15894202/ou...-large-15894202

Thanks - we already have a set of stainless steel/magnetic pans suitable for an induction hob.

KeithDM
Emile the Second

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:23 pm | Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:50 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

We got this one a couple of years ago and we've yet to trip the leccy.
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01LNSP...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:36 pm
by KeithDM (deleted)

Okay Induction Meisters, as one is warned not to put an empty pan on the hob, how do you get the pan hot enough to sear a steak as soon as you drop it in the pan? Is a light coating of oil enough to prevent discolouration/distortion of the pan base whilst getting up to temp?

PS - our new VonShef (see earlier post) arrived just in time for me to try it out making spaghetti for lunch (even I can boil water!) to go with my wife's home-made pesto. All seems to work well :)

KeithDM
Emile the Second
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:24 am
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I don't eat steak so sorry, can't help.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105612 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4