RE: Leaking window seals and appalling Lowdhams service

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:17 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #15
I wonder if any distributors bother to follow forums such as this. It would be beneficial to both parties if they did.

Colin

I heard that Cameron from AL sometimes has a look though I don't know if it's true or how often

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Leaking window seals

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:40 pm
by Captain Calamity | 348 Posts

Follow up to an earlier follow up post!

Our pride an joy is now sitting in Travelworld Stafford while the rear panel dries out. We were caught out by the window seal recall in 2018 and had the windows refitted by Lowdhams Nottingham. The last habitation service by Travelworld in 2019 showed extremely high moisture readings in the rear panel. It appears that the refitting was not carried our correctly (Travelworld’s guess). The whole rear panel is soaked and TW will only refit the window when the panel has properly dried out. The real gripe is that there was no problem before the recall.
First trip of the year is now cancelled - wish I could send someone a bill! Luckily the repair is under warranty (good reason to keep the annual service and habitation survey up to date).

Capn C

Bathchap and like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Leaking window seals

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:23 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.324 Posts

As Travelworld are re-doing the work then it has to be under warranty. A report should go to Hymer as they will be footing the cost. Would this not state that the previous work was not up to standard. As such could you make an out of pocket expenses claim.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:53 am
by marmite | 400 Posts

We had exactly the same problem with our 540. The van was subject to a window seal recall and seals were replaced at Leisure Vehicles in Tebay the rear window leaked and we took it to Travelworld in Stafford and they told us the seal had been incorrectly fitted causing the leak. We won't be going back to Tebay their service is terrible, we listed warrantly work to be done on the van when we first bought it,waste pipes not connected, locker doors split, washroom door not closing properly most of the problems were sorted but out of 5 lockers that needed replacing they only fitted one (this after them having 5 months notice to get the replacements) Next trip to Tebay to get the other 4 doors fitted (240 mile round trip and an overnight stay) we found they hadn't got them! 3 months later a parcel of 4 doors arrived at our house with no explanation as to why they were sent to us. Wouldn't touch them at Tebay with a barge pole extension kit. They have offered to do the next water ingress test for free (how kind) but we're going back to Travelworld where they actually listen andmake notes on a job sheet of what you need to have done.

Denise & Phil

Last edited Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:55 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:06 pm
by Harry m (deleted)

We had the rear window seal changed again at Lawdhams Huddersfield in March when we went to collect it, it was the start of The Covid lockdown.
I had taken a damp meter with me to make sure it had been dried out completely the readings on the paper work were around 24 and was told this was ok, when I checked it I found reading around 37 not being to impressed with this I asked for a Technician to check it the Technician then confirmed the readings I had got.
I wanted to leave it but was convinced to take it on the understanding that if it was still the same in 3 months time they would come to me to check it Covid has got in the way of that and I do understand. But I am still getting readings on the 16th June at 41,42,43,36,and 28 below the seating, I have emailed and phoned them leaving a message but as yet had no reply I see they are up and running for sales but don’t seem to be up and running for service.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:54 pm

Harry,
phone and e-mail them requesting a direct e-mail contact with Hymer. The service is not good enough.

Colin

I've just looked up my readings on the rear window, taken by Lowdhams Feb time each year. They are typical of readings across rest of the van:-
2018 - 10-14% - stored under carport
2019 - 10-11% - garage stored
2020 - 9-10% - garage stored

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:22 pm
by Harry m (deleted)

I am at that point but Hymer I’m told are shut down at the moment but you’re right service is not good enough even given Covid although we love the van it stacking up to be the worst we had quality wise we’ve been Caravanning for 30 years.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:37 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Harry

Not read this thread before - what an infuriating tale of incompetence and couldn't care less service. You must be so fed up.

Having been a member of the Forum on and off for a few years I am stunned how the dealers seem to get away with such shoddy service with what is seen by many as a quality product. The odd thing is the inconsistency. Some people seem to get terrible service from a dealer whilst others experience with the same dealer is OK.

We bought from AL in Poole and dealt with Cameron, who was superb throughout the process. However we live a day's drive away and so using them for service is impractical. We have used ALV at Tebay and the service we have had has been good but I have read on this thread, and on others, that people's experience has been less good and they have sworn never to use them again.

I wonder if part of the problem is that there are so few dealers that most of us have little choice who to use. Perhaps we need more dealers and this might drive up standards of servicing. A new dealer has apparently just opened in Southport, nearer to me than Tebay, so perhaps I will give them a try.

I do hope that you get this seal and damp problem sorted out sooner rather than later.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:01 pm
by Captain Calamity | 348 Posts

I’d like to repeat our experience.

Seal recall - back to Lowdhams.

Massive leaks through rear window.

Travelworld Stafford discovered the problem, removed the window, dried out the wall (over a number of weeks), refitted the window properly, valeted the van, on their own initiative ordered two new cushions which were lightly stained by damp. Regular email updates. Cost - £0 , all under warranty despite us not having purchased the van from them.

Maybe a little expensive, but I would not take my van anywhere else.

Capn C

Steve and Debbie, marmite and HDI163 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:02 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

we have only had our Triton for a couple of years and haven't had any damp problems (purchased from AL and last services at Lowdhams Nottingham). The damp warranty finishes this year so will probably go for a local mobile service (there is one locally who has lots of good reviews). However, I usually go by the mantra "if you want something doing well, do it yourself" so keeping an eye on the damp situation myself. Purchased a good meter with a remote sensor (much easier than the cheap all in one units which are too big to get into some of the window gaps) . Made a thinner extended probe to get into the gaps at the top of the windows which the remote sensor still wouldn't get into. Basically take readings at about 100 positions throughout the van and record them in excel with a record of what the weather conditions and storage was at the time.

All a bit pedantic I am sure but I give it a go every now and again when I feel like having a go (have plenty of time).

It will be interesting to see if and how things change over time. So far the results are good. Worse readings are usually at the bottom of windows between 10 and 16%. The results were very similiar to the result sheet from Lowdhams last year.

Hopefully I am just wasting my time.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:19 am

Sounds like a good idea. When my warranty finishes I will take it to an independant, not sure if it will be every year, depends on mileage. On previous vans I had them up on axle stands and crawled underneath each winter. I could clean and regrease as needed and inspect everything. I must admit I never took the wheels off as I could check brake shoe wear by removing the bung in the back of the drum.
I'll have to think about the damp readings as our van is always garaged stored, only coming out when we are off camping.

Colin

Last edited Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:20 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:45 am
by Randa france | 12.883 Posts

Reading Steve's point # 25 above has conjured up a question to members who have been Eriba owners for many years, especially if they bought them from new or nearly new.

Did you used to experience damp problems and need to get annual certification from dealers? I only ask the question because ten years ago, unless I'm mistaken, there only used to be two main dealers for new Eribas in the UK, Jandi and Letchlade.

The increase in Eriba ownership in the UK has gone mad over the past ten years especially with new van ownership, You only have to look around our recent rallies to see that the vast majoirty of vans are post 2010 whereas the rallies abroad show the opposite.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:17 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 am

Roger, our first Eriba was a 2001. I recall this had spaces in the front of the owners manual for warranty stamps and the Water Ingress certificates. II thought it had always been a condition of the 6yr damp warranty to have these inspections done by a Hymer/Eriba dealership.

To confuse matters further, when I bought my 2007 Troll direct from Belgium I was told I could NOT have it serviced in the Uk if I wished to keep the warranty. It had to be taken back to the country of sale. The arguement was I had a non UK spec van and as such it could not be serviced in the UK. The biggest joke of this was that they had inadvertently sent me a full UK spec van including exterior lighting, UK sockets, instruction manuals, fire retardent labels etc.
Hymer have always been a law unto themselves

Colin

Last edited Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:37 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:18 am
by Randa france | 12.883 Posts

Was the van nearly new Colin and if so how did you get on with the annual service, especially as Essex was a long way from a main dealer.

I suppose what I'm thinking is was damp a major problem in those days and did people used to bother with annual main dealer check ups and servicing?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:23 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 am

I owned the 2001 Lechdale Triton bought in 2003 until selling in late 2006. The 2007 Belgium Troll bought new I sold in 2009. A 2006 Lechdale Familia followed in 2011 and was sold in 2016. Of these vans only the Familia had a professional service , once, and suffered stub axle bearing/brake issues as a result. The rest of the time I did my limited bits underneath on all vans.
My 2017 Triton bought new has been serviced by Lowdhams of Nottingham. Earlier in this thread my comments on "hit & miss" quality can be read.

If a van is new then I think you have no option other than a main dealer. The consequences of a damp issue far outweigh the extra cost incurred.
Once out of this 6 year period I think if anything was to have gone wrong then it would have by then.
As vans increase in age sealants start to age and some running gear components will start to wear. Depending on mileage a good independant is obviuosly the way to go, but how frequently I don't really know. If I continue to do 4K+ a year I'll be tempted to make it yearly.

Colin

Last edited Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 am | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105766 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4