RE: Leaking window seals and appalling Lowdhams service

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Some really interesting points about our vans and servicing that deserve some thought.

I just unthinkingly followed the Hymer instructions to get our Troll serviced every year by a dealer, roughly in line with the anniversaries of when we collected it from AL. As I have said above as AL was too far away for us took it to the nearest dealer which was ALV in Tebay.

Our neighbours who own caravans all use a local servicer who comes to them and are shocked at how much it costs to have the Eriba serviced, compared to what they pay. I always quote the water ingress warranty conditions as to why I will continue for the immediate future.

Whilst in my youth probably like many of us I did lots of things myself on the scooters and cars I owned. This was partly due to having no money to pay a garage. having read Colin's contributions above I am a bit in awe & wouldn't now dream of trying to get under the Troll to check things (partly cos I would really struggle getting out). For me this is why I need to pay a Hymer dealer to make sure everything is OK - I pay for peace of mind a guess. Probably after another two years of services I will look at an independent, but have to check that they know the Eriba's little foibles.

But Colin & Randa's exchanges above have also got me thinking about just how many miles we may have done in the Troll. I have no idea off the top of my head so will spend some time on this wet afternoon trying to work out a figure - I would guess that its far less than Colin's 4k average. We initially bought the Troll to spend winters away from the East Lancs rain in Portugal & Spain but.best laid plans & all that, it hasn't happened yet..............................

My guess would be that the cost of servicing per mile we have done will be very high. We will see

MikeT

After telling Kath about this thread last night she was all for us going out there & then to check that with this 36 hours of heavy rain that our van wasn't letting in water. I managed to dissuade her from venturing out in the dark with the strong winds and horizontal rain we were experiencing. It hasn't stopped yet but we'll have a look after dinner.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:09 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.324 Posts

My uncle who is now 80 was production engineer at GEC on the likes of anything from Jet engines to fridges. He moved on to become the principal buyer of white goods for Littlewoods the catalogue company. He always stressed that in his many years in industry he generally found if a product was to go wrong/fail it did so very early on in it's life. His advise was never take an extended warranty, service as stated in original paperwork for the warranty period and look after what you have. Whilst this does not cover all eventualities if you follow it you generally do not have many nasty suprises.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:23 pm
by Randa france | 12.883 Posts

In our case and the reason for our questions is that our Troll is now 21 years of age and we've had it for 10 of those years.

We estimate that it does between 5000 and 6000 miles per annum (we do in fact take the towed mileage as well as the solo mileage on the car). We therefore don't see the need to have an annual service so get a mobile service engineer to give it the once over every two years.

As for water ingress test, we've never had one in our time with the van and rely on our senses to see if there's possibly anything alarming going on.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

SOULBLUESMAN68 and FINNWOODY like this post!
Last edited Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:33 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Just given our van the once over. Took about an hour & would cost about £150 at Lowdhams.

vancheck29Jun20.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:55 pm
by Randa france | 12.883 Posts

Cor, when are you going to wash the bubbles off Steve?
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Poptop320 and PooleDweller like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:55 pm

I'm very impressed. Your diagram actually looks like an Eriba, which is something the generic Lowdham's one does not..

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:54 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

That's why I drew it. If you want a copy send me a pm with your email address.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

eribaMotters likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:54 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:16 pm
by Harry m (deleted)

After requesting a email contact at Hymer as Colin suggested, things have started to move, booked back in the beginning of September as we are away in August so with any luck we should get it sorted this time.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Hope it all works out. Unfortunately it looks like Eribas frequently have 18 months of teeting problems and then usually all is well for the vast majority.
I suppose we are comparatively lucky as many white van owners have long term problems.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:03 am

Harry
That's good news that things are starting to move and that you should get it sorted.

Re earlier thread. It stopped raining and so Kath dragged me out to check for leaks in our 540 & everything seemed OK. It also led to me getting the Warranty & Service docs out to re-acquaint myself with things. Our Service is due end of the month and this will be the 4th so 2 more with a Hymer dealer after this one, before consider moving to local mobile servicer.

SteveJoyce diagram was interesting and got me double checking our damp report from ALV. Nothing to be concerned about but interesting to see how they differed around the van with lowest min being 0.42 and highest max 9.3.

The other thing I checked was the mileage of the van following Colin's post of averaging 4k a year. We had a fun lunch trying to remember where we had been in our Troll. We were shocked to realise that we had done under 4k in total since we collected the van in 2016. In thinking about it this is probably because even though we sometimes go a distance we tend to stay on one site and travel round the area extensively by car or public transport. On top of that I have had two periods of hospitalisation with long recovery periods, when I have been unable to caravan. Then of course we have the Lockdown which has stopped us all.

This means we have done under 300 miles since our last service but we feel that we have little choice if we want to keep the Hymer warranty valid. However our tiny mileage compared to Colin's average has made us more determined than ever to get out and about more.

MikeT

Last edited Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:04 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:39 am

Mike,
some intrepid folk last year did 10K. For us two return tripsfrom Merseyside to Devon = 1,200 miles, add on 2,000 for a trip to central France and then 300 return trip to Lowdhams and it soon adds up.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:55 am

That's my man Colin................That's what Kath & I envisaged when we bought our Troll. We wanted to do a month in France to start with & the following year drive down to Portugal & Spain. Life and especially two lovely grandchildren got in the way.

Last spring at Dunstan Hill C & CC site there were 5 Eribas on site at one time. One little Pluck was owned by a brilliant older couple who we talked to a fair bit. They used to take their van down to Greece most years and had also gone through Scandinavia to the Arctic circle. Wow..........

They were cross because the insurance companies were demanding a fortune from them for them still to tow abroad because of their age. A great example for all of us.

MikeT

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:13 pm
by Harry m (deleted)

We are booked in for the rear window seal to be sorted, hopefully. I’ve been checking the damp readings on weekly bases the readings have not altered a lot they are in my opinion quite high 43 percent being the highest, given this has been like this since we took it in for repair in March I’m guessing the panels will be pretty soaked by now and are probably damaged, would I be right in thinking that they should be changed.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:04 pm
by Captain Calamity | 348 Posts

These are similar to the readings on our van after the recall work Lowdhams carried out. Travel World then remedied the problem, but the cure was to remove the rear window and let the rear panels dry naturally under cover for around six weeks followed by refitting of the windows.
If you are under warranty this should be covered. If not, the best I can suggest is to use, or borrow, a garage to let the panels dry out with the window removed. Replacing panels sounds very expensive to me!
Capn C

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:25 pm
by Harry m (deleted)

We are covered as this will be the 3rd time they have done it , it wasn’t right the last time I was convinced to bring it home due to them being closed because of Covid so we will see what happens I would sooner they dry it out than change the panels.

Thanks for letting me know they can be dried out, I will ask to speak to service technician and take a damp meter with me when I pick it up,

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105766 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5