RE: Oh Bugger!

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:09 am
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

My presence did grace the streets of Reading back in the day ! Being chauffeured around the area by Echo 49.. hence why I would feel at home with a wire protector on my Puck.

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:13 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Front or back?

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:23 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Seriously though, I think the only sensible protection you could offer to the front windows to withstand a high speed rock would probably be a polycarbonate sheet probably with a bit of foam on the back and some sort of clip to hold it to the window. Although I think the "issues" this would throw up would probably outweigh the advantages.

mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:55 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

front

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:47 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Looking on the bright side, the stone hitting your window probably saved your bodywork from what would be a more expensive repair..

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:10 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

UPDATE

Well, I'm now even more confused. The replacement window arrived this morning very well packaged but dirty, written on with some sort of Chinagraph pencil and marker pen and bearing three sticky labels of the not readily removable type.

Window01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Half an hour with methylated spirits soon had the window nice and clean although it could do with a good polish with special acrylic compound to get it pristine.

I then removed the original window. Dead easy! Disconnect the two adjustable stays and remove the plastic end cap from the hinge bar.

Window02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

One screw holds plastic retainer.

Then slide hinge bar out.

Window03.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I then had to swap over the catches. Here I was puzzled to find these plastic spacers that had been left on the replacement window whereas mine didn't have any.

Window04.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

It was then a simple job to fit the new window. BUT..........

1. The hinge bar on the new window is anodised a dark grey/brown where mine is bright alloy and
2. The plastic surround on the new window is grey whereas mine is a light bronze colour.

The mismatch is glaring so I decided to return the window for a refund and make an insurance claim to get a new one that matches my caravan. I emailed Automotive Leisure (12 miles or so from where we live) for a quote thinking I'd collect and fit it. No such luck. Would you believe that AL replied that they don't do windows for the Touring range of caravans?

By coincidence, Jean at Jandi sent me an email saying she hoped I'd managed to get the right one so I told her of my problems and of my decision to return the replacement for a refund. A while later she replied with a long and very helpful explanation regarding colour fading in Eriba plastics and the practical impossibility of obtaining colour matches in parts even after very short periods of exposure to sunlight.

Apparently, all the plastic bits were supplied in only one colour but the vans from the early 2000s faded worse than others. My windows started out grey but have since faded to their current bronze colour probably due to the effects of UV radiation.

This leaves me with a dilemma. The replacement window is now all parcelled up ready to go back but, apart from the anodised hinge bar, is probably as good as I'm likely to get. Should I keep it and look into swapping the hinge bars over and hoping that the grey will eventually fade to bronze? Can hinge bars be swapped reasonably easily and safely? (They appear to be pressed onto a rubber strip on the perspex so it should be possible, if a bit scary)

As I said earlier, bugger! Any suggestions anyone?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:52 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Apparently, all the plastic bits were supplied in only one colour but the vans from the early 2000s faded worse than others. My windows started out grey but have since faded to their current bronze colour probably due to the effects of UV radiation.

I don't believe that all window surrounds are same colour (grey) as I have had 3 Eribas, 2001 430, 2006,420 and 2006 540. The 430 had grey window surrounds, the 420 had a mix of both alternating around the van don't know why could have been the french fitter had had a good lunch then came back and fitted to see who would notice. I certainly did not when purchasing the van only after while towing noticed in rear view mirror that one front window was bronze the other grey.
Our current van has bronze surrounds and they certainly have not faded from grey.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:53 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:04 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Zitat
Quote Aaron Calder :- 1. The hinge bar on the new window is anodised a dark grey/brown where mine is bright alloy

Sorry Brian, when we talked earlier I though it was the hinge bar on the recently purchased window that was grey.

Bronze anodizing, if it is that, is a coloured dye added to the anodizing process. It seems very strange why they should use this process when all the other aluminium parts on the Eriba are just anodized. Is it possible to recreate the colour on the existing hinge or paint both hinges a dark colour?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:25 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Zitat
Quote Eribanut:- I don't believe that all window surrounds are same colour (grey) as I have had 3 Eribas, 2001 430, 2006,420 and 2006 540

I'm not sure about that Mike for Brian's windows (centre pic) look grey until the replacement window is put alongside them. They then show up as bronze. The windows on our van (RH Pic) which remember, is the first of the Eribas to have double front windows, are still grey which suggests the early (prototype?) windows hold fast. The one on the left which I believe to be Buzz Lightyear's van, is very bronze (His van is post 2005).

I know photographs are maybe not the best way to show up a colour and tint problems but if you're theory is correct then we are talking about two different shades of "bronze", light bronze, darker bronze as well as silver.

front windows.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:39 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:53 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

May be worth trying these people who are UK agents for Polyplastic. Would be interesting to see how their prices compare to those from an Eriba dealer.
Sounds to me like you may need to replace both windows to get a match. Whether your insurance would cover the cost to replace both though is anyones guess.

https://www.caravanwindows.net/services/...s/brands/eriba/ (based in Droitwich)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:41 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #39

Zitat
Quote Eribanut:- I don't believe that all window surrounds are same colour (grey) as I have had 3 Eribas, 2001 430, 2006,420 and 2006 540

I'm not sure about that Mike for Brian's windows (centre pic) look grey until the replacement window is put alongside them. They then show up as bronze. The windows on our van (RH Pic) which remember, is the first of the Eribas to have double front windows, are still grey which suggests the early (prototype?) windows hold fast. The one on the left which I believe to be Buzz Lightyear's van, is very bronze (His van is post 2005).

I know photographs are maybe not the best way to show up a colour and tint problems but if you're theory is correct then we are talking about two different shades of "bronze", light bronze, darker bronze as well as silver.

Roger I think that is the case as our Triton 420 had Grey Bronze Grey window surrounds alternating all around the van. If the plastic surround was changing colour due to ultraviolet light or whatever they should all have been affected. I think Hymer have used different surround tints over various years, I know the wheel spats and front A frame plastic on earlier vans were prone to ultraviolet discolouration but not the windows.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:41 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:52 am
by Bobb | 108 Posts

This is very interesting.
We bought our first (2006) 1 owner Eriba Triton earlier this year and it was some weeks later that I noticed that 2 of the windows were bronze rather than grey (back and 1 front) and I posted this ‘problem’ on the forum.
Although a tad disappointing that this has happened it’s reassuring to know that this is the effect of sunlight rather than odd replacements...
Bob

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 tdi ultra S tronic with a 2006 Triton 420GT
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:47 am

Zitat
Quote Eribanut:- Roger I think that is the case as our Triton 420 had Grey Bronze Grey window surrounds alternating all around the van. If the plastic surround was changing colour due to ultraviolet light or whatever they should all have been affected. I think Hymer have used different surround tints over various years, I know the wheel spats and front A frame plastic on earlier vans were prone to ultraviolet discolouration but not the windows.

I hear what you say Mike and if it were not for the fact that Jean of Jandi has it on good Authority from Hymer that they have never ordered or fitted bronze windows to Eribas then I would have to agree with you.

I wonder if it's not solely an effect of weather and storage conditions of the vans by their owners but more a manufacturing process problem that causes the colour change over time from one batch to another? I have to ask the question why my van is unaffected as it's one of the first to have the double window front and it has experienced long periods of time in hot conditions?

I recall talking to one owner on Facebook a few years ago who had the "David Bowie" look to the front of his van and he assured all that the part numbers on both windows were identical except for the left and right handing mark.

Randa

Last edited Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:44 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:07 am

I've managed to find a Facebook thread with photo. It was at last year's Halloween (not the thread I mentioned above).

David Bowie.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) David Bowie eyes.

This one shows the whole window as being bronze and not just the surround so "where are we now"? (see wot I did there? )

Randa

Last edited Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:23 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:50 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Just to clarify matters, the 'bronze' colour I mentioned referred to the dark tinted decorative areas outside the clear perspex of the window itself and not the transparent areas.

Window05.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:53 am | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1