How to reduce picture sizes for posting using Irfanview

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Wed May 14, 2014 6:48 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

Digital picture files, particularly those taken with top-end cameras, can be very large indeed and unless you reduce the file size they can, depending on your Internet connection speed, take ages to load to the forum. Similarly, if the person reading your post clicks on your unreduced picture, s/he too may have to be very patient while your file loads. Reduced picture files are also useful when emailing as they don't 'take over' the addressee's computer while they download. This can be very annoying.

Most of the pictures on this forum and other forums can be quite adequately viewed at smaller physical size and reduced file size. Here is an example. Picture #1 has been reduced to 200KB while Picture #2 has been uploaded at its original size as taken.

P1010380.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
This one took 3.5 seconds to upload at my connection speed (199KB)

P1010380.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
This original picture took more than a minute to upload. When it opens, click to enlarge it and you will see it at its original size which is too big to display on the screen. (3.5MB)

The following is one way of reducing picture files to a more manageable size for quick and efficient posting.

1. Go to Irfanview and download the latest version of Irfanview to your computer

2. Now go to PlugIns and download all the plug-ins and add-ons. (You will need the RIOT PlugIn that is part of this package)

3. In your Pictures library click on ‘New folder’ and create a new folder for your reduced pictures. I call mine ‘Reduced pictures for email’

4. Open Irfanview and click on ‘File’ at the top left of the screen

5. Click on ‘Open’ and using the little black down arrow in the dialogue box, find the folder where your original photo is located.

6. Double click on the selected picture and it will appear full screen in the Irfanview window.

7. Click on ‘Image’ then on ‘Resize/Resample’ in the drop down menu.

8. Click on the button next to the required size of your reduced image (I use 1024 x 788 pixels - see Picture #1 above) then click ‘OK’

9. Your picture will now appear at its reduced physical size (as it will appear on screen) but it still needs to be reduced from the original file size down to a more manageable number of KiloBytes (this can be anything you want but 200KB seems adequate for most forum and email purposes)

10. Click on ‘File’ and this time select ‘Save as’ from the drop down menu.

11. In the ‘Save in’ box at the top select your newly created folder (e.g. ‘Reduced pictures for email’)

12. You can give your reduced picture a name or just leave it with the camera-assigned number

13. In ‘Save as type’ select ‘JPG-JPG/Jpeg format’

14. Now for the final setting, in the box to the right of the picture tick ‘Set file size KB Riot PlugIn’ type in ‘200.00’ (or your chosen reduced file size) and click ‘Save’ at the bottom right of the box. That’s it. Whenever you want to reduce a picture in the future the program will automatically reduce it to 200KB (or the alternative size that you selected).

15. Finally, click ‘Save’ at the bottom of the left hand box and your reduced picture will be saved into your newly created folder.

To add your picture to a post, start typing and then at the appropriate point where you want your picture to appear, click on “Attach file”; “Browse”; double click on your reduced picture; “Upload” and then “Insert” and a thumbnail of your picture will appear in your post.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Thu May 15, 2014 9:43 am | Scroll up

RE: How to reduce picture sizes for posting using Irfanview

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Thu May 15, 2014 3:59 pm
by Old Rocker | 489 Posts

Thank you Brian, excellent tutorial
Or if you are using Windows open "paint" in the accessories open your photo.
Click on "resize"
Reduce horizontal and vertical to 50%
Click OK
Save your resized photo and Roberts your dads brother!

You're invisible now, You've got no secrets to conceal
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Thu May 15, 2014 5:39 pm

I just tried that, Mick, but although the physical size of the picture was reduced by 75%, the file size remained at 3.5MB.

The above method reduces both the picture size and the file size - or did I miss something?

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Fri May 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Just tried it on one of my photos which was originally 2.44MB reduced horizontal and vertical by 50% saved the reduced size picture and it comes out at 721KB[ [File:003a.jpg|none|auto]]
Likewise reduced 1.25MB to 171KB on a second photo
How strange

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 003a.jpg 

Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Fri May 16, 2014 5:57 pm
by Randa france | 12.865 Posts

Zitat

Yeh but how does it feel......

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:40 pm | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Fri May 16, 2014 6:08 pm

I've just used Paint to reduce this picture (originally 5.43MB) by 50% and it is now 406KB so, yes, your method works but it would appear that the size is determined by the program and not by the user and depends on the original file size.

P1000727.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

As I said, Irfanview is one method of reducing photo files.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Fri May 16, 2014 7:16 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Is this a subtle hint that I am doing it wrong?

My first railway painting and commission
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Fri May 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Quote: hampshireman wrote in post #7
Is this a subtle hint that I am doing it wrong?
Me subtle?

No I'm not getting at anyone, just suggesting that for normal purposes, such as illustrating a 'How to......" article, there is no need to post a huge file with a massive picture when a reduced file will do the job perfectly well.

A few days ago I clicked on a picture in a post and then sat back to wait for it to load. In the end I gave up and moved to another thread. If you have a look at my recent "Thetford Bog" thread, you will see that it contains three pictures that as taken total 13.64MB. At my connection speed (pretty slow, copper wires and quite a distance from the exchange) they would take four to five minutes to upload/download. I reduced the pictures to a total of 563KB and I think you will agree that not only do they show very good clarity that is suitable for purpose but they also upload/download in seconds.

When abroad, for example, and using site WiFi that you have to pay for on a time-used basis, upload/download speeds are important.

Although Xobor who provide this forum impose no limits on us, you will see that they have a maximum file size of 2MB and, so far as I'm aware, their software automatically reduces larger files to this size.

No one is being prescriptive but it makes sense to be economical with file sizes where high quality reproduction is not essential.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Fri May 16, 2014 7:34 pm | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Fri May 16, 2014 8:06 pm
by crow (deleted)

I use Irfanview as it retains all the information when resizing or reorientating an image,
I find it easy to use. Download all the plug-ins.

Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Sun May 18, 2014 12:26 pm

Yeh but how does it feel......
Could this be a fellow member with good taste in music? or am I "on my own"

Last edited Sun May 18, 2014 12:27 pm | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Sun May 18, 2014 12:42 pm

"Just like a rolling stone" ?

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Sun May 18, 2014 2:30 pm
by Randa france | 12.865 Posts

Zitat
Could this be a fellow member with good taste in music? or am I "on my own"

What, you mean "a complete unknown" ?

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:41 pm | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Wed May 21, 2014 1:24 pm
by hob (deleted)

Just to add a short note here for blog writers, there is no facility to post images in blogs and also no auto resize of images if hosted off forum so images for blogs hosted at places like photobucket need to be resized to max width of about 600 pixels or they will distort the page sideways at some of the lower screen resolutions.

There is a "how to" for posting images in a blog here

Posting images in a blog

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Wed May 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks, Neville.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 32 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12517 topics and 105602 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6