RE: Music system for my Troll

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:43 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #15
I am finding it difficult to find a radio that can be recharged via USB 12V
What do you mean when you say USB 12V?

The standard for all USB power connections is 5V. The amperage may vary, but not the voltage.

Something which powers (or charges) anything via a USB connection will always output 5V, whether it's a charger you plug into 230V mains, a socket you connect to the 12V supply in a car or caravan or the USB outlet(s) on a laptop or PC.

If you want to charge a radio using USB, the radio must be able to accept a 5V input.

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:54 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I meant USB powered off 12V but to be pedantic just remove the "12V" and call it USB

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:55 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:01 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #17
I meant USB powered off 12V
Hardwired and plug-in

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:30 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Steve/Debbie,
the way I read your issue is not finding the power supply, but a radio that can be powered by a usb lead, ie a 5v radio.
I cannot recall seeing such a radio advertised for sale, but I do note the dc jack on the back of our John Lewis and Pure radios both say 5.5v.
If this is the case I suspect you are looking of a "usb to 5v jack lead", something like this Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-5V-Charger...8sAAOSw2lReWgz4 along with the power output in #18 above

Colin

The following contents have been linked to this post:

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Last edited Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:31 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:03 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Colin, Great, that gives me a lot more choice. Sorry for the confusing post

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:26 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:06 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

I am a bit like Colin inn that I have a massive collection of music (hence Soul Blues man user name). For years have used an old Samsung MP3 plugged into some Philips portable speakers - great sound. Recently replaced speakers with a Pure Evoke Digital radio. This setup sits nicely on top of wardrobe in Troll 540.

Problem is my eyesight not as good as it was and screen on MP3 tiny so at Xmas got bought a Kindle Fire to replace this and ancient Kindle. Speaker on the Fire is so screechy but sound OK when run through the Pure via small jack lead.

Currently having same problem as Randa reported (Feb 18 2016) in having to change recordings stored in Windows Media Player to format to fit Fire. Whenever we go on holiday I make CDs compilations of music I am currently listening to and use a Tascam CD Recorder to burn to disc (always from CDs I have already purchased). Then transfer to Computer Library so no problem putting in correct format.

Not used in van yet but very excited about possibilities. Envisage will need to charge the Fire through USB every day using standard phone charger/USB cable that fits into standard adapted USB /mains plug (that Kath uses to charge her Ipad). All very simple I think.

My children tell me to Bluetooth through my smart phone but being something of a Luddite I want to keep my phone for speaking to people and texting. Long live old technology as well as new. Mike T

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:26 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Good to hear somebody else who uses a phone for it's primary purpose, talking.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:18 pm
by Rhys (deleted)

After some research I think I solved my own question. Dug around in the cupboard and found my wife's Bose Sound-dock which was discarded when she got a new iPhone because it has an old iPhone 30 pin connector. Now I've found a Bluetooth receiver on Amazon which fits the 30 pin connector. So I will be able to Bluetooth my music from my phone or tablet and get great sound quality, once the Bluetooth connector arrives

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:20 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

I found an app on my phone which enabled me to enter a long string of numbers so that I could leave a message on somebody's answerphone. Can't see it ever catching on. I'll stick to text and whatsapp.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:28 pm
by PaulF. (deleted)

Hi Steve and Debbie

I use a pure Move 400d that works really well. The blurb says about 60 hours from a charge (usb). If the speaker quality is not what I need or I want more volume, I connect a separate speaker via the headphone socket. Not sure this model is still made as it's been superceded but the newer versions are available. It's a great little fm/dab rechargeable radio and doesn't take up any of that oh so valuable storage space. Hope this somewhat belated response helps.

I’m a Pontos pilot
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3