Eriba (NOT) Jacking points.

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:44 pm
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

There's a discussion going on at the moment on our Eribafolk Facebook page about jacking up an Eriba.

I know that some of us use the small box section welded under the sub frame behind the wheels, as a jacking point. I think the intention of these box sections was to maneuver Eribas around the factory floor during the build process.

However, I've been using an old Bilstein side Jack to lift our van for a number of years and I fear that although I also carry a bottle jack, The Eriba axle would be too low for a single lift with the bottle jack, should we have a flat tyre.

I've just discovered one of these on the interweb:- https://raceandrally.com/quick-lift-rall...JRii7oXvBcdaPXU

I'm sure the inside dimension of the box section is 22mm x 22mm but wonder if the max lift height of 53 cm would be high enough to get the Eriba wheel off the ground?

If so, a nice bit of kit for those of us who still wish to use the box section as a jacking point.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: Eriba (NOT) Jacking points.

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:28 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

My Puck came with this. I thought it was standard but if not it looks an easy mod.

DSC03707.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) DSC03709.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:34 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

Nice idea. If you could get the scissor jack on a wide base that could be the perfect wobble free safe solution.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:10 am

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #2
My Puck came with this. I thought it was standard but if not it looks an easy mod.

Interesting. How do you find the balance of the van when lifted as this "jacking point" is in front of the wheels?

Incidently, one poster on Facebook said that his classic Puck came with its "original" jack that IS to be used in the box section.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:17 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:15 am

It was still nose heavy when jacked up, but I left the steadies partially down as a precaution. The Puck doesn't seem to have the box section

DSC04001.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04003.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04004.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:17 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:47 pm
by addisb | 169 Posts

HI all,
Interesting topic. When eventually we are all 'allowed out' I intend replacing the tyres on the Eriba. I work beside a tyre dealer and thought I would bring the wheels into work one at a time and get the tyres replaced. I have never previously jacked up the Eriba and intended using a scissors jack. I did not realise that this may be problematic. Randa, looking at the details of the Toe Type Jack, would that require a specific slot in the chassis to insert the toe? I recall having a car , cant quite remember the model, with that set up at one time, ( was it an old Mini? ) you actually had to open the door to rotate the jack handle. Great job in that you don't have to go crawling under the vehicle but would it be suitable for an Eriba ?
Best Regards,
Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:14 pm

Hi Chris and Joan. Hope you are both well.

The Bilstein side jack discussed above, what you refer to as a Toe Jack, has to have a specific sized toe, I think 22mm square to fit into this box section:-

box section.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Whatever you use to jack the van up, be very careful of the "roll back" you'll get from the van after your apply the hand brake. Apply the brake and then push the van backwards so that the brake will lock out, the lever will click into a vertical position. Do this before you start jacking.

R and A

addisb, atkinbrown and highmiler like this post!
Last edited Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:17 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Chris,
I put the van on axle stands each winter. The method I use would be similar to your needs.
1 - hanbrake on and roll back as Randa above says.
2 - jockey wheel down.
3 - corner steadies up a couple of inches so you do not throw the caravan weight onto them.
4 - trolley jack under axle, other half leaning on the tow hitch to stop the van pivoting about the axle.
you will now need to crack the wheel bolts loose
5 - jack van up and slide axle stand under axle.
6 - release pressure on jack and remove.
you can now lower the corner steadies, with some blocks underneath them to make up for the rise in height and remove the wheel

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

cruickie, Randa france, SOULBLUESMAN68 and addisb like this post!
Last edited Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:05 am

"Randa above". An elevated position me thinks. Bless you, my son.

Randa

Sportique likes this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:06 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 4:12 pm
by addisb | 169 Posts

Hi Randa and Colin,
Many thanks for your replies and apologies for not coming back on this sooner but these are strange times coupled with treating my laptop to a direct fall onto a concrete footpath some time back means that I am only today crawling under the Eriba to see the optitions.
Firstly: it has the small box sections exactly as you photographed Randa but I dont as yet have a suitable jack. I have both a scissors jack and a small trolley jack, the latter however fully extended will raise the axle by perhaps only 20mm so I'd say thats a non runner.

A related question if I may: My 310 is fitted with Alloy Wheels, the spare is a steel rim. I have an Eriba Handbook, it was not originally sold with my Eriba as it was originally sold in Germany and it is in English, however, it states:
" Alloy Wheels are fitted with 17mm Wheel Bolts. The Spare Wheel supplied has a Steel Wheel and comes supplied with 19mm Wheel Bolts"
19mm ?? The only Bolts I have are the 17mm x 4no. on each Wheel: nothing else was supplied. Should I have a spare set of "19mm" wheel bolts ? That seems a bit crazy .

On another note, I had 10 days, Sites booked etc. commencing Sunday 19th. of July. So on our lockdown rules here Sites are not allowed to open until July 20th. so as luck would have it and all going well we may get away for a holiday after all. One of the owners telephoned me to confirm that we are still on for going and she informed me that she is taking very many enquiries from folk who are looking for Sites as they have had to cancel other holidays. ( had to ? wanted to? Cruise Holidays ? ) Glad we had ours booked from the first day of re-opening and hopefully we can make it.
Best Regards,
Stay safe,
Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 5:24 pm

Chris,
you do need to get another set of wheel bolts. The seating of the bolt into a steel wheel differs to that of an aluminium wheel. The aluminium wheel is also thicker. If you uded the longer aluminium bolts they would damage the hub.
I've just checked the set for my steel spare and they have19mm a/f heads. The underside of the bolt head is radiused and not conical. The length of the threaded section that runs up to the bottom of the curve is 25mm long.

Colin

Posted elsewhere on the forum - I use a trolley jack at home and carry a Coram - Land Rover bottle jack in the van for emergencies

Last edited Sat May 30, 2020 5:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 6:34 pm

Interesting, my steel wheel bolts are 24mm threaded length but are conical. The alloy wheel bolts are also conical but with a 28mm threaded length.

Steve

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 8:30 pm
by addisb | 169 Posts

Well well. Many thanks for your comprehensive reply. Much appreciiated.
Now off tho search t'interweb for a set..
Best Regards,
Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 8:32 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Getting back to the topic - I also use a scissor jack, but, especially if there is any sloping ground to contend with, I would also recommend hitching the car to the van to stabilize the balance. This does make life much easier especially if you need to release the van hand-brake in order to turn the brake drum - to line up winter wheels for example.

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 320GT
Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 31, 2020 12:42 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.118 Posts

hi everyone

This post has made me scratch my head as I am not very technical, and I may be getting confused.

As I am no longer good at getting on the floor and crawling under things (and even worse at getting back up!) I always thought that in the case of a puncture I would do what I now do with the car and call out the AA and the job would be sorted, albeit after a long wait..

However these posts suggest that as our 540GT has alloy wheels and the bolts are different to those that fit the spare wheel, that the AA man would not be able to put the spare wheel onto the Troll.Am I understanding this correctly?It seems strange that Hymer would give you a spare wheel but you would not be able to fit it to replace your alloy ............

Does this mean that I should also try to source some alternative bolts just in case of a puncture, as other people have mentioned above?

This happened before with the AA on a previous Octavia Estate that suffered a puncture. I always had a spare tyre with my previous Octavia's but this one had one of the first standard fitted tubes of sealant and an air pump. Needless to say sods law applied and the puncture was too severe for the sealant to seal it. The AA man applied his own supa-dupa sealant to try but this only got us a mile down the road. Fortunately we were only a few miles from home and were able to park it up for the night. Fortunately next day our local tyre dealer who was a friend of my sons came out and within an hour put on a new tyre for us.

Since that time I have always paid extra to ensure that I have a spare tyre instead of a tube of sealant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It concerns me that I might now be in the same situation with the alloys on our Eriba. Is the view that I need to order some different bolts?

Thanks
MikeT

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105704 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0