Tracking Devices

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:47 am
by Edna III (deleted)

Hi all.

I just wondered if anyone uses a tracking device to reduce insurance premiums, I have just had an invoice for my devices annual subscription and it has doubled for some reason to £178 including Vat. (CanTrack)

I get 25% discount on my insurance as my insurance is only £300 per annum new for old I am wondering whether its worth renewing?

However Its nice knowing if Edna goes missing there is a chance she could be found.

Any thoughts? Or have I answered my own questions

Regards

Ray

60th Edition 530 being eased along by VW Tiguan
Scroll up

RE: Tracking Devices

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:49 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I'm guessing you are either very young, have little insurance history with a caravan or live in a high risk area to be paying so much after a 25% discount.
We are new for old, £25k, European cover, £100 x/s and paid £254 in February this year to Lfesure. Financially the tracker premium is not worth it.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:21 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

The thing to find out from the tracker Co, is what percentage of stolen vans fitted with a tracker are recovered,
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:02 pm
by Edna III (deleted)

thanks gents.....food for thought.

Current policy is new for old at 27k and awning at 2.5k. Towing history 2 years with current Eriba following 2 years with motorhome which followed 4years towing Eriba and Tab.

Edna is currently stored on a gold cassoa storage site.

perhaps I wil research insurance more

Ray

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:58 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

I would take a look at Adrian Flux. I’m with them and have found them excellent

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 7:09 pm
by zukipuck (deleted)
Last edited Fri May 01, 2020 7:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 9:03 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

What is it. What does it do?

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 10:35 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I can understand having a tracker on a car where it can be powered without the thief knowing it's there. But on a caravan the thief just needs to disconnect the battery, or am I missing something. I know it's probably got a rechargeable battery but how long will that last.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Fri May 01, 2020 10:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 02, 2020 2:14 pm
by zukipuck (deleted)

we actually have a few trackers that have 6 month batteries.

Zuki & The Puck - www.zukiandthepuck.com
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 04, 2020 7:49 pm
by Edna III (deleted)

my tracker has five year battery life and doesn't rely on the van battery. I can monitor battery level and the whereabouts of Edna any time I want. they have a recovery rate of over 91%

Ray

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 05, 2020 2:34 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

We looked at a tracker when we got our 540GT three years ago but we thought it would be something expensive in the long run.

We were strongly influenced after a good friend has their van nicked from storage the night before going on holiday. They were distraught.

It didn't have a tracker but Police eventually came across it a few months later in a rough area of Burnley on somebodies front garden, when they were chasing something else up.. Apparently it was disgusting inside..

It got us to thinking would we really want our Eriba back after it had been stolen and possibly abused. We just decided to do what we could at home to protect it and ensure that we had a new for old insurance policy. I think that we are fairly security conscious anyway.

I guess its a classic pay your money and take your choice situation. I think perhaps if we had a twin axle big white van with all the expensive gubbins on that was crying out to be stolen and moved on very quickly, then we might think an investment in a tracker more cost effective for us. (not that I would prefer one of these to Th 'Troll)

MikeT

Last edited Tue May 05, 2020 2:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 14, 2020 10:00 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Quote: Edna III wrote in post #10
my tracker has five year battery life and doesn't rely on the van battery. I can monitor battery level and the whereabouts of Edna any time I want. they have a recovery rate of over 91%

Ray

Hi. Interested in knowing what make your tracker is? Am considering buying one as there are only a small handful of Eriba's
in Ireland, and they all get a bit too much attention at times.

Colin.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 16, 2020 9:18 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Is it worth it ? Would you want your 'cherished Van' back after some 'scum' have used and abused it ! ?? If you have reasonable insurance cover, you have a better chance of 'starting again' with another van- either new or used - but surely better than living with your ex- van that had been abused and needing costly cosmetic repairs not covered by the insurance ! Just my way of looking at it :) :) . Feel free to say what you think ! :)

eribaMotters and Steve and Debbie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 16, 2020 10:20 pm
by Valjoneribafan (deleted)

I had a previous caravan stolen, not an Eriba, it was eventually found on a traveller site in Wolverampton. We had already been paid out by our insurance but were asked to go to positively identify it, it was in a terrible state and it was upsetting to see it like that, if they had found it earlier there is no way I would have wanted it back.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 17, 2020 12:01 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I don't want to tempt fate, however has anyone ever known an Eriba to be stolen? With them been a bit quirky they are not as desirable to the usual caravan profiled theives?

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 51 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2