Window Sun Shades.

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 10:52 am
by Randa france | 12.877 Posts

I saw these on an Italian Eriba page today. They look rather strange to me. Can anyone tell me more?

italy.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)italy 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Photos by Francesca Savio

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue May 19, 2020 10:54 am | Scroll up

RE: Window Sun Shades.

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 12:32 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.320 Posts

No.

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 12:56 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Home made?

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 320GT
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Quote: Sportique wrote in post #3
Home made?

I don't think so. The OP suggests they are bought items and are used in the sun. Italian sun yes, but I would prefer the lightweight ones we use and keep the windows open thus shading the area around the window opening as well as the interior.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 2:00 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

[quote="Randa france" I would prefer the lightweight ones we use and keep the windows open thus shading the area around the window opening as well as the interior.[/quote]

Yours are a better design

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 2:02 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.320 Posts

The curvey cut base to the shades does look like a grey colourway of an old Soplair green material. I thought they looked a professional product but think they are a generic design, not just for Eriba owners.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 3:05 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.120 Posts

I think they look quite professional and the grey would go well with the GT silver. Also like the idea of them fitting into the gutter thingy - sorry having mental block.

Noticed a picture of Randa's the other day and thought how useful they would be in hot weather but didn't see enough of the detail. Do Randa's blinds fit in the gutter strip (ah the word has come back to me now) as well?

Cheers
MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 3:56 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

We had some prof ones which matched our soplair awning with our first van. I've got some fabric to make new ones for Marmite Too just need to get the beading to sew on the top. They slide into the awning rail and two strips of elastic sewn to the underside of the blind fit over the corners of the open windows. We've found that if you get them on early in the day they keep the van at least four degrees cooler than the outside temperature. We also used to fit them before putting the overwintering cover on the van as they were less likely to have picked up any grit unlike the underside of the cover which we wrestle with on a regular basis.

Denise & Phil

Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #7
I think they look quite professional and the grey would go well with the GT silver. Also like the idea of them fitting into the gutter thingy - sorry having mental block.

Noticed a picture of Randa's the other day and thought how useful they would be in hot weather but didn't see enough of the detail. Do Randa's blinds fit in the gutter strip (ah the word has come back to me now) as well?

Cheers
MikeT

Hi Mike. These are ours and many other folk have a similar idea.

portugal.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

We had a similar set made by Hymer/Eriba, that came with our van when we bought it second hand. They were a yellow stripe though so we copied the design onto some purple stripe fabric that we bought ( 7 Lidl table clothes to be precise ).

Yes they do hang off the awning rail by stiching a length of awning rail bead to each one (the front one is full length but the fabric is split into two) and as Denise Marmite suggests, the bottom loops over each window corner with some knicker elastic sewn diagonally across the corners.

Those Italian ones look way too heavy to me. The best way to use these blinds is with the windows open so the fabric casts a shadow over the window and the window opening.

Randa

Last edited Tue May 19, 2020 4:25 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 4:46 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #1
I saw these on an Italian Eriba page today. They look rather strange to me. Can anyone tell me more?

Aha. It would appear that they use them in Summer and Winter. For Winter use they insert a sheet of insulation behind them to keep the warmth in.

Randa

Last edited Tue May 19, 2020 4:47 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 5:46 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

We use our home made one's to keep the sun/heat out and provide a nice breeze.

pictures_u1725_GupRTEBZ.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 8:16 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Hmm. Unfortunately our older van does not have an awning rail at the front, back, or t'other side

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 320GT
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 19, 2020 10:13 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.120 Posts

Thanks Randa that's really useful information.

Now Kath has got her old sewing machine working again you never know what she might do. How heavy is the material? Are they like the thickness of a bedroom curtain?

Cheers
MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 20, 2020 9:19 am
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Quick technical point Randa.

The awning rail is about 100mm above the window hinge. So if the blind is made to the correct length when the window is shut, it will become baggy when fully opened?
Or, do you only fit the blind to a fully opened window?

Thanks.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 20, 2020 10:53 am

A good point Ray but we made them to fit when the window is shut. On both the original factory made ones and our replacements, there is only a small amount of bagginess when the window is fully open and certainly not enough for them to slip off.

Just done some simple trig and if we use your figure of 100mm (10cm) between top of window and awning rail and guessing the window is 800mm (80cm) deep the hypotenuse will only be 810mm (81cm) with the window in the perpendicular.

Randa

Ray Lawrence likes this post!
Last edited Wed May 20, 2020 10:55 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12534 topics and 105727 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2