Poptop GRP roof wax/ polish

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 27, 2020 3:26 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I was washing the Eriba and thought I would also add some wax/polish to the roof. I took out my Auto Glym super resin polish and then looked at the additives, it contains petroleum which is no good for fibreglass, the next tin was Simonz original with carnauba, this has a turpentine smell and the instructions says don't use on plastic. The danger of using car products is that they are not made for GRP...
I think I am going to play it safe and get some Meguiars pure wax which is specially developed for fiberglass gel finishes on boats etc.

Has anybody used this product?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MEGUIARS-M5616-...ps%2C187&sr=8-2

Marine wax:
Blends pure Brazilian Carnauba wax with polymers and resins to provide durable long-lasting protection and extraordinary gloss
Uv Protection:. protects against the sun’s ultraviolet rays Use with confidence: safe, effective and easy to use on all Fiberglass gel Coat and painted marine or RV surfaces

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Wed May 27, 2020 3:45 pm | Scroll up

RE: Poptop GRP roof wax/ polish

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 27, 2020 5:37 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Interesting post, well timed for me as I'm looking at reviving my pop top.
I'm surprised at the objection to Auto glym super resin as that seems to be the go to product at the moment.

I'm only just understanding the difference between a "polish" and a "wax"

The product that you have highlighted appears to be a wax which is fine on an already good surface.
I need something to restore the matt finish of my pop top before adding a wax.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 27, 2020 6:25 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Interesting post. In 2011 we bought 2006 Familia that had been stored without cover for it's 5 years. The roof was dull and not far off becoming chalky. I T-cut the roor and then applied Turtle Wax polish. The roof came up very well and each year I applied the Turtle Wax to good effect. I never noticed any problems in my years of ownershop.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 27, 2020 7:28 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #1
I was washing the Eriba and thought I would also add some wax/polish to the roof. I took out my Auto Glym super resin polish and then looked at the additives, it contains petroleum which is no good for fibreglass.
I'm trying ever so hard not to be either ridiculously anal or just difficult for the sake of it, but the petroleum element of Autoglym SRP is naphtha.

Meguiars do a polish - imaginatively called Meguiars 45 - which they heartily recommend as being the dog's knees for use on fiberglass (sic) gelcoat. The solvent in Meguiars 45 is alkane. Petroleum is mostly alkane.

I've used SRP on the roof of our Troll several times without any deleterious effects whatsoever, and over the years I reckon I've probably kept Autoglym in business with the amount of SRP I've bought to use on umpteen cars.

It's brilliant stuff. There's hardly any abrasive element to it, and Autoglym themselves say it won't do any damage no matter how much - or how enthusiastically - you use it. It's also excellent at disguising fine scratches, but not by polishing them out in the way something relatively ferocious like T Cut does.

I hate to disagree with you Mr Top, but you're wrong. Just horribly, horribly wrong

It's safe as houses

Randa france and Doonhamer like this post!
Last edited Wed May 27, 2020 8:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 27, 2020 7:40 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Phew Mr Pew. I hope you're correct for since John's post I've been sitting outside staring at the roof of my van hoping that it's not going to melt.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 28, 2020 12:17 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi
I am nowhere near as experienced as you gents but I have been using the AutoGlym Super Resin polish on the pop top roof for the 3 years we have had our Troll and not noticed anything wrong.
MikeT

atkinbrown likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 28, 2020 7:28 am
by Doonhamer | 77 Posts

I have also found SRP to be fine on my roof, I do however find it too abrasive for the dimpled bodywork of my 2001 Eriba. I'll wash with Autoglym Shampoo & Conditioner, SRP the roof & only wax the bodywork. At the moment I'm finding Turtlewax "Wax It Wet" gives a decent finish & is fantastically easy to apply.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 28, 2020 8:29 am

I've had dimples since 2017, after 3 previous smooth skinned vans that I waxed. I now use Bobby Dazzler and I'm very pleased with the product. I'm now using it on the roof as well.
I wash the van, remove any tar spots etc, rinse it off and then using a 5/6L pump up garden srayer apply the Bobby Dazzler. I then chammy down with a big microfibre cloth. A very easy job to do and cost effective as the bottle goes a long way.
Admittedly my van is cosseted as it's stored inside, but the true test is how easy fly removal is from the front end after 600 miles and it passes this test with ease.

Coin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 28, 2020 9:52 am

Quote: Doonhamer wrote in post #7
I have also found SRP to be fine on my roof, I do however find it too abrasive for the dimpled bodywork of my 2001 Eriba.
I wonder if rather than it being too abrasive per se it's that you're inevitably concentrating the polishing effect on thousands of tiny high spots rather than one large and relatively smooth area.

Despite me having sung the praises of SRP, there's no escaping the fact that polishing does remove surface material, and it doesn't help that the paint on these things is only one molecule thick.

Last edited Thu May 28, 2020 10:37 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 28, 2020 10:02 am

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #8
I've had dimples since 2017
I bet kindly aunties pinch you on the cheek and say 'My my, how you've grown. You'll be in long trousers before you know it.'

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 28, 2020 11:07 am

Long trousers, hate the things. I looked back after my first year of retirement and worked out I'd worn them three times..And no, I don't wear a skirt.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 28, 2020 11:56 am

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #11
.And no, I don't wear a skirt.
We appreciate the candour, but it's almost certainly the answer to a question that nobody was asking.

Shady Pines, rs540 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 28, 2020 6:06 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Haha, that caused a stir, my thoughts are would it not be best using a product that is specifically designed for boats that also use GRP with a gel coat, rather than car wax/polish products that are developed for use with paint on metal?
I do use Bobby dazzler however the Maguire marine wax with carnauba is specially designed to restore the gloss on the gel coat and provide UV protection which is the biggest enemy to turn your Poptop to a big piece of chalk..

I am sure I saw on Eribafolk FB somebody had used Maguires on the roof and and it looked like a sheet of glass when they had finished.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Doonhamer likes this post!
Last edited Thu May 28, 2020 6:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 28, 2020 8:18 pm
by Captain Calamity | 349 Posts

Maguires is used by the majority of my fellow mariners on gel coat. I’m guessing it would perform well on the pop top. Inspired by these posts, I’ve looked out an old bottle of Carnuba wax and will try it and report back. The manufacturer has gone bust but I see the suggested applications include boats and caravans.
I seem to recall the other necessary component is a liberal application of elbow grease! By the by, how does everyone get up there to apply it

Poptop320 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 28, 2020 11:31 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

A good question Captain - I struggle a bit reaching the middle of the roof. Not as good at climbing now with my new metal hip joints. I had an extending thingy but broke it last time I used it.
MikeT

Last edited Thu May 28, 2020 11:31 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 52 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4