Solar roof panel

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:50 pm
by Threeberries3 (deleted)

Hi all, I know there are lots of forum posts about fitting solar panels to Eribas. But, I just wondered, after seeing a panel being fitted on YouTube, of course. They seem quite easy to connect up, the video I watched had all the bits in the kit, panel, Sikaflex, controller, cable etc. They connected it to the battery. Couple if questions, as the panel is generating all the time, can you leave it connected and generating when connected to EHU. Also, if I connected one to the CSV unit I think I have in my 2016 Troll, it appears there is a connection on the unit, is it just a case of connecting the 6mm brown and blue cables to the CSV unit. Sorry, but I’m the sort of guy who needs, connect cable a to terminal b!
Same question as before about having the panel connected when on mains EHU. Does the CSV unit use both power inputs or what happens to all the power being pushed into the CSV.
Sorry, non technical person talking.

Colin
Eriba 542 behind a AWD Renault Kadjar
Scroll up

RE: Solar roof panel

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:34 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Most solar panels will come with a controller which will prevent the battery from back discharging in to the solar panel. Thus the panel can be left safely connected to the battery even if the battery is being charged from another source.

I don't know the initimate details of your CSV, but it may include a built in solar panel regulator thus negating the need for a separate controller.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:46 pm

Thank you for the info. Maybe someone will know if the CSV needs the controller, I’m guessing it will need the controller supplied with the solar panel but I don’t know. The only reason I’m considering this is because of Covid and ablutions maybe being closed. We normally use fully serviced sites but I’ve seen a lot of talk off off-gridding and shower tents next to the van using the extendable shower tap, sounds exciting. Not sure the missus would be up for it though?

Colin
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:40 pm

I'm not sure I would go to the trouble and expense of a roof solar panel just for the Covid period. If you normally go for a fully serviced pitch then I would hang on a bit. C&CC are certainly offering sites already with toilets and showers.

Personally I prefer grass only pitches for more flexibilty in positioning the van and not being "all lined up" hence I use solar power pretty much exclusively. Solar power sadly does not empty the toilet or provide hot water for washing up or showering either, its just a small part of being semi independant.

Horses for courses of course.

Last edited Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:44 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:02 pm

I know what you’re saying and I agree. I’d like to go off gridding though but not sure my wife would agree. How’s your panel wired?

Colin
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:07 am

I use a cheaper and more flexible option of a folding 60W solar panel which is padlocked to the A frame with a 2 m chain. Thus I can change the position of the panel two or three times a day to maximise the output. I have recently re-wired the panel so that the output plugs directly in to the caravan's 13 pin plug and charges the leisure battery that way.
Previous to that I had a connector underneath the van, close to the A frame, and a pair of 2.5mm wires clipped up along the underside of the van and up to the battery through a small hole drilled in the floor.

This is one of many threads on solar panels that expands a bit.

Using Solar Panel to recharge the leisure battery

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:01 am
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #2
Most solar panels will come with a controller which will prevent the battery from back discharging in to the solar panel. Thus the panel can be left safely connected to the battery even if the battery is being charged from another source.

I don't know the initimate details of your CSV, but it may include a built in solar panel regulator thus negating the need for a separate controller.

Unless your panel has a built-in solar regulator then you will need one before connecting to the Schaudt CSV409A or the leisure battery.

There is indeed a connection on the CSV but the socket is designed specifically for the Schaudt LRM1218 regulator although any unit should work with the appropriate plug attached...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:12 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Hi

According to the CSV409 manual the Schaudt CSV409A does not come with an integrated solar charge controller but it does come with inputs for the connection of a controller: it does come with an integrated battery charger though which can supply 28A

The compatible Schaudt solar controller is LRM1218 but any MPPT controller can be connected (with suitable connectors/wiring)

When connected, the solar controller will always try to put power into the caravan battery irrespective of whatever else is connected but because of the way the MPP controller works the amount of power actually transferred from the solar panels will be reduced if other sources are generating.

If using standalone panels its unlikely you'd be bothered to deploy/connect them if you're connected to a mains system I guess : if the panels were permanently connected they would contribute little power whenever the CSV409 was hooked up to the mains.

If not connected to a controller (not recommended) solar panels should always have blocking diodes to prevent backfeed from batteries when they are not generating power from the sun: this means panels can be permanently connected irrespective whether the van is on EHU or the sun is shining

Last edited Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:38 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:05 pm

Sounds interesting and certainly possible, although I’m not sure I’m confident to undertake any installation myself.
Thank you

Colin
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 52 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4