Precise measurements

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:25 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

I wish to get my 2002 Troll into an area that involves getting it through an opening that appears to be 202 cm wide. Far too close for comfort, I know. Getting over to measure the van precisely is a bit awkward at the moment, is anyone able to offer a 'true' overall width measurement of an earlier model Troll? The 200cm suggested in all the documentation can see on line sounds possibly a little 'generic' and may not include the additional width of the windows or mudguards etc. In fact, as I type this, I've just realised I have to factor in an Omnistore canopy as well. It's beginning to sound a little unlikely, isn't it..

:o(

Scroll up

RE: Precise measurements

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:39 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Hi Hugh. As the 2000 mm is measured across the waist line, things like the wheel arches, widows, marker lights etc should be OK because the waist is the fattest point.
The Omnistore does sound like a problem however :-(
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:44 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:51 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

You should be fine. Attached shows my 210cm Troll gong through a 212cm gap. You will however have to watch the side windows and wheel arches. I don't know about the awning.
Its a bit tight 010-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Its a bit tight 011-1600.jpg 

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:55 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:53 pm
by Paul Godfrey (deleted)

You are braver than I would be. Motor mover I assume ?

Bertie Berlingo [2019] pulling Dandy Dart at moment.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:05 pm

No mover on a 1300kg Troll. I did try a winch bolted to the floor but the teeth got wripped off, leaving the van wobbling neither in nor out.
Time moves on and we now have a 1200kg Triton with mover and would not be without it. Garage is now about 3.7m wide, so a bit more room to get it in.
Feb 2019 - 1-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:46 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: cabbie37 wrote in post #1
I wish to get my 2002 Troll into an area that involves getting it through an opening that appears to be 202 cm wide. Far too close for comfort, I know. Getting over to measure the van precisely is a bit awkward at the moment, is anyone able to offer a 'true' overall width measurement of an earlier model Troll? The 200cm suggested in all the documentation can see on line sounds possibly a little 'generic' and may not include the additional width of the windows or mudguards etc. In fact, as I type this, I've just realised I have to factor in an Omnistore canopy as well. It's beginning to sound a little unlikely, isn't it..

:o(

Just been out to our 2007 Troll and taken a look with tape measure. Its tricky to be accurate but think the van body is 200 cm. The windows are open on vents and protrude 4 cm the mudguards are 6 cm .We have a caravanstore on rail which protrudes 8 cm from body. So reckon you are looking at 6+200+8=214 cm total.

Mike

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:47 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:40 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Thanks all. I will have to have a close measurement before I start to head it towards the opening. Fortunately I will be able to control this with a motor mover, but will still have a couple of pals at each corner keeping an eye on things. One of the additional complications is I will have to run the van along a wall (within a cm or 2) for a while before it gets to the 'pinch point' as a result of 'alignment' issues. The Omnistore would have to come off, without doubt, but that is only held on with 3 brackets (from memory) and as long as the nuts and bolts come undone....

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:04 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #6
Just been out to our 2007 Troll and taken a look with tape measure. Its tricky to be accurate...
Find something to use as a plumb bob, tie it to some line and mark the ground beneath what you reckon are the two widest points.

Measure between the marks on the ground.

C'est ça.

granddadgrape likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:46 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

or bang a couple of stakes in the ground at the widest point either side and remove the van - measure the gap.... My van is sitting on grass at the moment with space round it so that is possible..

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:13 pm

Pepe, wouldn't this only work if the van was sitting true across the axle.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:04 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #10
Pepe, wouldn't this only work if the van was sitting true across the axle.

Colin
Glum face :-(

I've tried to sow a seed, that's all. I reckon others can water it as necessary.

Last edited Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:49 am
by Sulphurman | 82 Posts

I think I would mark it out on the ground and work backwards. Mark out a rectangle that is as wide as your desired gap and as long as the van, squared by checking opposite corners (like a chippy would square a frame), then sit the caravan in that and use the corner jacks to square it in the marked rectangle. You can then plumb bob to see what clearance you might or might not have. This is a bit of a faff and obviously relies on the jacks being precisely mounted on the van, but it must be the closest way to find out?

(Verity &) Steve
Esther the Puck and Bianca the BMW. Esther's Instagram
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:21 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Just use a plumb bob and chalk on suitable ground and mark out the max width - then measure?

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 320GT
Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6