Preparing for the end of lockdown

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 17, 2020 9:05 pm
by WendyT | 89 Posts

Hubby and I received our new 550GT back in April, in the middle of lockdown 😂
We’ve done a weekend in the garden to test out the beds - super comfy, but super cold back in April
We had our first outing (apart from work) since 7 March to go to the camping shop on Friday. 10am so nice a quiet , but still too many people for me to feel comfortable, lol
I think I prefer lockdown to normal now 😂

Anyway, we picked up a fire extinguisher, and discussed what other safety things would be good to have. We have a fire blanket somewhere, and are preparing an updated first aid kit (the camping one was getting a bit old) that we are going to use, but does anyone have any other safety items that we should think about? I think we’re covered security wise with a wheel clamp and a towbar lock.

For general camping, we have our bedding and blankets, crockery and cutlery, glasses and beakers, sharp knives and spatulas, pots n pans, tables and chairs, fairy lights and bunting (most important items of course ☺️) We just bought a new cadac bbq, and we have a traditional small coal bbq. I have a camping kitchen (table with cupboards below) for the bbq or prep when outside. We have caravan kettles, ( electric and stove top versions) nespresso machine, and various lamps - gas and battery powered.

I have a hanging foldable cupboard that I used to use in the tent for clothes. I was thinking of adding a rail to hang it from in the bathroom over the toilet for when we’re on sites, as we shall use the shared toilet facilities mostly. The rail will also allow me to hang a few dresses for warmer holidays in Italy, Spain, etc. And winter coats for when we go to Scotland and Scandinavia. Has anyone else done this?

We also bought a small WiFi router that can have a SIM card. In Europe, we should be fine with our phone sims, but outside Europe ( if we venture that far) we can buy a local sim.

I was wondering what else we need. Does anyone have any suggestions for us?
Im wondering if it is worth taking a toaster and egg cooker? We do like our eggs on toast for breakfast 😁

Scroll up

RE: Preparing for the end of lockdown

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 17, 2020 9:08 pm
by WendyT | 89 Posts

I’m also wondering if I posted this in the wrong section? If so, my apologies. Feel free to move it if that’s possible.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 17, 2020 9:17 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Remoska, the standard 2L size is perfect for two, 2nd hand if you can as from UK dealer Lakeland they cost an arm and a leg. If new go here https://www.alza.co.uk/remoska/v3490.htm I thought them a gimmick until gifted one by my eledrly mother. At 470watt they are excellent and can be used with no problem even on low wattage European sites.

Colin

ps, corkscrew.

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 17, 2020 9:18 pm
by WendyT | 89 Posts

That looks cool. Is it like a slow cooker?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 17, 2020 9:22 pm
by WendyT | 89 Posts

I’m now thinking we should take a small rice cooker...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 17, 2020 10:04 pm

It is best decribed as an oven. I've roasted a chicken, baked scones, cooked a sponge, warmed my morning croissants, cooked my garlic bread, pasta bakes and done fantastic baked potatoes. It re-heats meals perfectly. With the exception of crispy roasting I have yet to find a thing it will not do that your oven at home will do. If something takes 40 mins in a normal oven allow 60 mins in the Remoska.

Don't bother with a rice cooker, either buy the boil in the bag or use the absorbtion method. Fow two, one tumbler glass of rinsed long grain rice to two tumbler glasses of water. Good pinch of salt, bring to the boil, drop to a simmer and leave for 10 minutes with lid on. Do NOT stir. Turn heat off and leave a couple of minutes.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

WendyT, , cruickie and PooleDweller like this post!
Last edited Sun May 17, 2020 10:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 17, 2020 10:05 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

We have a small radio, we like to listen to it during the day. We have had a few rare occasions where we stayed on a site that was an ex quarry and the telly didn't work..

Cooking wise I use the double skillet pans, they clip together to make an oven and are used on the gas hob,

http://www.thedoubleskilletpancompany.com

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

WendyT and like this post!
Last edited Sun May 17, 2020 10:17 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 17, 2020 10:36 pm

Cheap watering can and a 300mm long bit of hosepipe if you have on board tanks, whether they are under the sinks or a large tank fillable from the outside.
Get rid of the posh coffee maker and get a stove top Mocha pot (9 cup) like the Italians use.
9 inch electric fan if camping abroad.
500 watt electric oil filled radiator for pre and post summer trips as the gas fire is so hot.

Colin

WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 18, 2020 12:35 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Wendy
Just picked up on your thread now. Some thoughts from our experience as ex-tenters when we took the kitchen sink, to novice 540 owners 3 years ago.

Firstly the Ramoska. suggested by Colin. I had never heard of one until I joined this Forum. We got one last Spring and it is absolutely fabulous so much so that we have almost abandoned using the cooker in the van. They are like an electric oven and grill but use very little power.We use it outside in the awning or under the Isabella Shadow Sun Canopy, using the detachable table. It means that we rarely have any cooking smells inside the van. We have cooked absolutely everything in it. They are expensive but you can get them on the internet cheaper directly from the Czech republic..

like Poptop we also have a small radio - ours is a Pure Digital one and I use it also as a speaker to play a tiny MP3 player through

We could not live without our low voltage toaster for the morning.

Like Colin we have a oil-filled radiator to give background heat in the chillier months. We also take a fan heater for if it gets too cold or too hot.

Although the beds are comfy they are heavenly with a Duvalay mattress on top.

Hope these suggestions are helpful and that you soon get chance to use your brilliant Troll for real.

Mike T

WendyT likes this post!
Last edited Mon May 18, 2020 12:38 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 18, 2020 8:14 am
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

For safety items I would add a smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide detector.

The smoke alarm doubles as a burnt toast detector!

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 18, 2020 8:45 am

Ray,
the smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors are a standard dealer addition on all new vans now, so no need to worry.

Wendy,
As above the Pure radio is a lovely little thing. We have a One model, the smallest, with the optional [why is it so expensive] battery pack. We also sometimes plug the mp3 player into it if the rechargeable bluetooth speaker is dead.
Tech wise we have a small notepad to keep in touch and an Avtex tv/dvd. The matching suction aerial for this is very good, but replaced with a snipe 2 self seeking satellite dish when abroad. This was a giant step for us as no satellite tv at home, but worth it when away for 4/6 weeks.
Comfort wise your fixed? bed should be good, but you can make it even more comfortable. We've had many combinations, fixed domestic mattress, made up dinette and fixed bed, but have always used a foam topper. Presently we have a 50mm thick IKEA one, cut to profile and then re-inserted into the zip cover. Over a sprung mattress and slats this very comfy. Don't be tempted to go for memory foam as it will be too hot.

Colin

WendyT likes this post!
Last edited Mon May 18, 2020 7:05 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 18, 2020 5:17 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

I see no mention of corkscrew in all these lists, essential equipment IMHO 😁🍷

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
marmite, WendyT, SOULBLUESMAN68, Magpie, highmiler and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 18, 2020 5:42 pm

Please see #3 above.

Colin

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 18, 2020 7:00 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #6
It is best decribed as an oven. I've roasted a chicken, baked scones, cooked a sponge, warmed my morning croissants, cooked my garlic bread, pasta bakes and done fantastic baked potatoes. It re-heats meals perfectly. With the exception of crispy roasting I have yet to find a thing it will not do that your oven at home will do. If something takes 40 mins in a normal oven allow 60 mins in the Remoska.

Don't bother with a rice cooker, either buy the boil in the bag or use the absorbtion method. Fow two, one tumbler glass of rinsed long grain rice to two tumbler glasses of water. Good pinch of salt, bring to the boil, drop to a simmer and leave for 10 minutes with lid on. Do NOT stir. Turn heat off and leave a couple of minutes.

Colin

Rice... the Jamie Oliver Method !

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
WendyT and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 18, 2020 7:24 pm

I taught him well. Now on a serious note, he was brought up not all that far away from where I used to live and teach. His relatives went through the school and I think it was one of his nieces or cousins I taught food tech to.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 52 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4