RE: Preparing for the end of lockdown

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 19, 2020 7:33 am
by WendyT | 89 Posts

Thanks everyone. Some excellent ideas here.
But to clarify... as ex tent campers, we have several corkscrews in the kit 😂

marmite likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 19, 2020 8:29 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Bottle opener for if the wine runs out, heaven forbid. And talking of wine, now you have a caravan and greater payload you must make the most of this on your continental trips. We quickly learnt wine boxes are the way to go as you get twice the volumn for the same weight and a very drinkable 3L is typically Euro 9/10. I've posted this picture before but it still makes me smile. The ballast is a great way of getting the weight low down in car and Eriba ensuring a nice steable tow. It also provides enjoyment over the following year before your next summer away.

P1010807 ballast-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Just reading back through your original post about wi-fi. I'm an untechie person without a smart phone but I do like the internet. I saw a wi-fi booster a few years ago being used in France and was impressed. I looked aroundfor deals on it but no luck. I bit the bullet and it's great. Our vavourite site in the Loire charges for wi-fi and it's only available at reception. Fortunately the municipal about 300m across the river through the trees has it for free and the booster easily picks it up. We've managed to stream radio and access wi-fi on my tablet and the lovely Mrs eribaMotters phone all at the same time. https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/ib...ctional-system/

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

WendyT likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 19, 2020 8:56 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 19, 2020 3:35 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

This reminds me of when we were tent campers and the children were young teenagers. it was the first time driving long distance again after my head injury and we had booked on a site at Bidart, near Biaritz. At the time we had a small Volvo 460 and it was loaded up with everything including 4 family bikes. We stopped overnight on the way but arrived in Bidart after a long and tiring drive. As we passed a supermarket I suddenly decided that we needed bread and some drinks.I had become good at making irrational decisions on the spur of the moment.

I got a trolley and the offers were fabulous. I came out with a trolley with a pile of wine & beer almost as big as Colin's. Kath had taken the kids for a toilet stop and an ice cream. I had loaded the drink into the Volvo where the children sat and there was now no room for them. My damaged brain wasn't at its best & I was not very popular with the family when I declared that we could squeeze everything in, and that I couldn't possibly leave the drinks. They were not in the best of moods after such a long drive.

I had to take the drinks out, fit the children in and then pile this gigantic hoard literally on top of them. We then had to crawl to the campsite fortunately only a couple of miles away on a minor road. We must have looked like exceptionally heavy drinkers as all you could see in the rear of the car was two sets of eyes and boxes of beer and wine.

This has gone down in family folklore and written off as a sign of my brain damage. Thank goodness it was a Volvo and not our previous Ford. My piles of beer and wine no longer resemble anything like Colin's stack of goodies! We live & learn.......MikeT

eribaMotters and WendyT like this post!
Last edited Tue May 19, 2020 3:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 19, 2020 7:46 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Colin, that wifi booster looks good but of course one needs a password for most networks, some are free like my neighbour's!

Just reminded me of a little incident a few years ago. Checking in to a C&CC site and waiting patiently behind the bloke in front. " Would you like access to the wifi sir, it's £3 per day?" Yes please says the bloke in front and the lady says " OK that's all sorted, the password is pond".
My turn......"Would you like wifi sir? "No , I'm fine thanks"

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
WendyT, Karisman and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 19, 2020 8:14 pm

I initially went for the booster when I saw how effective it was at over 100m from reception for the owner of one on site, when I had to sit at reception to use the free wi-fi. The municipal site across the river from where we were staying in the Loire had a nice cafe. I had my icecream and got the password. It has renmained unchanged for three years.

Coln

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 19, 2020 10:14 pm
by WendyT | 89 Posts

We’re very techie, so have all the useless gadgets 😆 although our corkscrews are multifunctional, with bottle opener functions included, so not so useless
We don’t need a TV, as we have laptops and tablets, and can download what we want from Netflix, etc, before we head off. That’s our normal for camping, so no need to change it, I think.

We live in the Netherlands, so very easy to pop down to Belgium/France for good cheap wine. From now on, though, we’ll take the caravan and make a weekend of it! Also to the Moesel in Germany for some reasonable German white wine - it is only about 3.5 hrs by car, so about 4-5 hrs with the caravan, I expect. More for a long weekend option.
It’s going to be much harder trying to get back to the UK after December I think. Hey ho, will have to see how it goes. Just hope we don’t have hassle with insurances, etc.

Someone earlier mentioned about dropping the nespresso for another coffee maker. I should clarify. I am a Brit. I drink tea, not coffee. Actually, I don’t drink tea like a Brit anymore, ( no milk or sugar) but the coffee point remains 😆. Anyway, the hubby has 3 coffee makers for the caravan. One press, one stove top, and the nespresso. Oh, and a grinder. I think he’s counting on all eventualities.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 20, 2020 12:03 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

We have a similar story involving a Volvo, large quantities of wine and 3 children. The Volvo was a 240 estate. When Neil suggested that the only thing to do was leave one of the children behind I’m not sure the Frenchman parked next to us realised he was joking. We did eventually fit it all in, 2 children on the back seat, the other child in the rear seat conversion with an extremely large mountain of wine. It’s amazing what you can fit in a Volvo estate. 😁

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 20, 2020 10:32 am
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Another good reason for a 12 seater LWB Land Rover.

holiday 051.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed May 20, 2020 10:39 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 20, 2020 11:24 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi julie
I think I may have also threatened to leave the children behind whilst I transported the beer & wine to the campsite - in fairness it was only a couple of miles away and they wouldn't have been left there for long!

The kids called this dark green Volvo 460 saloon "the Tank" for obvious reasons. The one thing that they did like was it was the first car we ever had with some rudimentary air conditioning.........that helped keep the beer cool! MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 20, 2020 3:01 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I think it was the Remoska that did it.

gallery_47107_969_4328.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Wed May 20, 2020 3:01 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 pm

Wendy, just noticed you are live in the Netherlands and your advice on the Mosell for the white wine. We were supposed to be there in a week or so. We've had to cancel our 6 week trip to Belgium, France, Germany and Netherlands. Hopefully next year we'll get to do the trip, taking in Bure/Tellin, Vilsberg, Oberweis, Aachen, Nijnsel, Vaassen, Delfte.

Colin

WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 24, 2020 5:31 pm
by Old Rocker | 496 Posts

Seeing as how lockdown has now cmee to an end are there any sites open tomorrow?

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Don't ask me nothing about nothing, I might just tell you the truth
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 24, 2020 5:37 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

Where did you read that ?

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 24, 2020 7:48 pm

I seem to recall July 4th has been mentioned. I hope this works out as we have July 5th booked in evon to visit our so and help with his small holding/ vegetable farm.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 29, 2020 6:23 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

100977723_1048985808829023_2962513276497297408_n.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
eribanaut, Randa france and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 40 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2