RE: refreshing a 1973 Familia interior

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:15 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.324 Posts

Derek, sounds like a 21st century French Polish. The OP is fortunate in that the cabinet work is in fact veneered and not the photo printed stuff on modern vans. The difficult thing is every trace of the original finish would need to be removed to get an even finish. For that an abrasive route is not the best option and I would go for a chemical stripper followed by scothbrite as opposed to wire wool.
When I've tackled refinishing of an old surface I've usually gone down the Danish oil route unless the piece has been originally French polished and still has value. In these cases I've cleaned the surfaces back with mets, no abrasives, then given a couple of rag coats of French polish and sometimes a light waxing.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:25 am
by Derekcbr (deleted)

Colin, I’m probably ‘telling my grandma how to suck eggs’ so apologies if I offend. As you know modern technology has so improved finishes for metal, wood, plastic etc. and lacquers can now be bought in a spray can which can give a hard high gloss finish. Osmo can be brushed on to also give a tough finish and all these modern finishes require the minimum of effort in preparation so rubbing down with sandpaper is often enough to give a really good finish. I just offered my humble advice to look at the modern finishes before making a choice. I still think painting wood distracts from seeing the natural beauty of wood whether it be natural or veneer. After all veneer is a slice of natural wood. I do hope I don’t sound as if I’m a ‘know-it-all’ and my opinion does not offend anyone.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:48 am

Derek,
no problem. The great thing about a forum is we get get a variety of different opinion, tastes and methods. The more options out there to choose from the better.
I'd forgotten about the Osmo Oil. I'd tried the clear and a client wanted a whitewash Scandi effect on something so I tried the white one. It gave a nice effect.
IKEA do something similar but I've not had success with it.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:50 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:31 am
by Randa france | 12.881 Posts

Gosh, isn't that refreshing to see two gentlemen agreeing to differ in such a polite matter. They'd be scratching one another's eyes out on Facebook

OK, now the niceties are out of the way, what date, what field and what wepons?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:44 am
by Derekcbr (deleted)

Randa, you’ve hit the nail right on as they say. We are ‘gentlemen’ as I assume every one including ‘gentleladies’ are on this forum. As far as weapons are concerned Colin can chose any sword or gun or rifle, me I’m going for a Chieftan Tank! He he!

Randa france, eribaMotters and campnsnooze like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:10 am

Compressor driven spray gun and a 50-50 mix of old engine oil and creosote. I could do the underside of his van while I'm at it.

Colin

campnsnooze likes this post!
Last edited Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:12 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:23 am
by marmite | 400 Posts

Oh I do like this forum even the disagreements are polite - please can I have a go with the spray gun after I've tootled around in the chieftan tank?

Denise (bored to sobs in isolation)

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:52 am

It could also be used to give a good spray tan.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105761 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0