refreshing a 1973 Familia interior

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:53 pm
by nick13 (deleted)

I have a 1973 Pan Familia that is in original condition. I like the fact that it's authentic to its era, but I don't like the fact that it's now a bit faded and lacklustre inside. The previous owner made some colourful 70s style curtains and I'm planning on making some new cushion covers that will brighten it up. While I'm at it I was thinking of doing something with all the faded dark woodwork to freshen it up and lighten up the interior.

It goes against the grain to paint over veneer (excuse the pun) but it would be a relatively simple way of adding some colour and light to the inside. I'm interested if anyone else has done something similar, and also whether the old school aficionados would consider such a thing sacrilegious :-)

Thanks

Nick

Scroll up

RE: refreshing a 1973 Familia interior

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:59 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Hi Nick and if you check the picture gallery I'm sure that you will find many pictures of things that others have done

Tom and Margaret

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:53 pm
by nick13 (deleted)

Thanks Tom, Margaret. Yes I've looked through the gallery for inspiration, and lots of different styles on there. But all have kept the veneered woodwork which is what I'm thinking of painting or otherwise brightening up.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:39 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

Nick,
welcome and nice to see your are bringing back to life an older Eriba I would not be worried about originality as you are giving your van another life
As regards painting the inside, I don't see why not unless the 57 year old timber is light in colour and immaculate. I doubt it is, so give it a light sanding, a good wash and degrease and use some good quality acrylic/water based paints. These are far better than oil based as they are easier to apply, dry quicker, brushes wash out easily, are better for the environment and don't fade or yellow with age. The only drawback is the inability to get a high gloss, but why would you want a finish like tis that shows every mark. Stick with an eggshell finish.
Upholstery foam will need replacing with something nice and firm. Fabric choice should be easy, but I'd be thinking something more 50's or Scandinavian as it would be brighter and claner looking.
Don't forget to bring the electrics up to date while you are at it.

Best of luck - Colin

ps - another thought on woodwork. People stain and polish mahogany to bring out it's natural beauty when in reality they hide it under a red glup.
When the timber was first imported into the UK it was as ballast for boats returning home. It was painted for it's first furniture use and this is still a good way of finishing all but the finest boards. It paints extremely well.

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:43 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:01 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

One option maybe to bleach the woodwork. https://www.liberon.co.uk/product/wood-bleacher/ is an example of this type of product. It may be worth giving it a go before finally committing to paint.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

Last edited Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:02 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:38 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Well on our last one [a 430] we removed the gas heater, to create a storage area, then removed the toilet / shower, to make a good sized wardrobe, then dismantled front of the cubicle and pushed the wall back 8" to give more room in the living area, then turned the double dinette at the rear into a permanent double bed, amazing what you can do with these vans, unfortunately it got wrecked in Italy but never mind I've just started on this one just removed the toilet yesterday, just got to rebuild the inside now.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:10 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:52 am
by granddadgrape | 1.560 Posts

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:38 am
by nick13 (deleted)

Thanks Colin for your advice, and Steve for the wood bleaching suggestion. Great info, I shall look into both options. Sorry to hear about your wrecked van Dave after putting so much work into it. Good luck with the new project.

eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:27 pm

Nick,
I've tried wood bleaching several times and only experienced moderate success at best. This was with oxalic acid and needed a poisons licence for it to be obtained. It was not very nice to work with. I would strongly advise removing the timberwork from the van if you go this route as any chemical that finds it's way onto floor, wallboards or ceiling fabric would not be good.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:52 pm
by nick13 (deleted)

Thanks Colin, I've decided to go for painting the woodwork in any case to add some colour.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:47 pm
by Rhiannon (deleted)

Hi - I have a Triton 430 GT 2004 and I would like to remove the gas heater for more storage - can you tell me what was behind the heater (was there any wiring, pipes etc. which may have a compromising effect on storage drawer) and did it need a professional gas person to remove it. Thank you

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 pm

You need to get the gas disconnected by a professional. When we bought our last van, a 2006 Familia 310GT this had already been done from new, for the reason you state of extra storage. You could however safely disconnect your gas bottle, cut the pipe below the feed under the sink and strip everything out yourself before getting somebody competent in to cap the gas feed off. This would be my preferred route.
Once the gas heater is removed you will need to seal the rectangular vent hole in the floor. You will find some odd wiring and possibly water pipes/hoses dependant upon whether you have a larger onboard tank or water heater fitted. I tidied up the space by machining some sections of beech to suitable profiles and then fitted a shallow drawer directly underneath the wardrobe base. You should be able to box in or shelf out the area with little trouble, possibly adding a false back to your cabinetwork to hide any electrics etc. It would be worth looking at the likes of IKEA for drawers that you can adapt. I did this to one I have subsequently fitted under the sink of my current 430.
13 - kitchen drawer-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:00 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

I disconnected and removed mine [when we had a 2004 430 ] it leaves quite a nice big space but the wheel arch is partly in there, you need to make up a small hole in the floor and cap the gas pipe, from memory I used a 9mm brass compression fitting, then I used a cable tie on the under sink tap so that it could not be turned on by mistake, [belt and braces].
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:04 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

I’ve never been a fan of painting wood whether it be natural or veneer. Rub it down with good quality sandpaper to remove the old finish which will bring up the natural wood. To add a superb finish use table top polish which you can buy from Fiddes and Son (google it) and then see what a difference it makes to your tired wood finish.

Angie and Steve likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0