Towing mirrors - Am I going to regret this?

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:20 am
by Kam | 139 Posts

039B499F-C839-4B1E-9AA1-2A9A68EB2B19.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Towing mirrors. Do you need them?

I have been towing without towing mirrors for 3 years now. I know a lot of people say towing mirrors are a must, and I’ve been thinking about getting some, but am trying to take a less is more approach to kit.

I’ve always felt my view behind is fine. I tow my Troll 540 with a Volvo XC60. The Volvo is the same width as the Troll (virtually to the millimetre) and the mirrors stick out further. I am aware that it’s legally required to have a field of view that is 4 metres wide from 20 metres back. I seem to satisfy this requirement. The photo shows that I can see the grey Honda Jazz directly behind me and the white Skoda and the van are clearly visible on my right. The camera was held right against my eye in virtually stationary traffic (the car was using adaptive radar cruise control at the time).

Surely this shows that my view is adequate. Or am I missing something?

Last edited Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:22 am | Scroll up

RE: Towing mirrors - Am I going to regret this?

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:57 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I can't understand how these detailed measurements can be applied. The government website tells it much simpler:

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/trail...owing-equipment

mirris.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Looking at your image. I would say you cannot see down the full length of the side of the Eriba so limiting the width of view.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:51 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

Kam says... The Volvo is the same width as the Troll (virtually to the millimetre)

The Government says Fit suitable towing mirrors if your trailer or caravan is wider than the rear of your car.

Result ! according to the Government ..in this case Mirrors are not required. :)

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:06 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

Hmm. Just looked it up again and the Volvo is 1902mm wide without mirrors and 2177mm With mirrors. The 2006 Troll is 2000mm wide so according to the government website I think I may need towing mirrors.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:10 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I would say you do.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Mercedes GLA 220d 4Matic
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:11 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Regardless whether the law states this or that, when towing my 2002 Troll with a Volvo V70, I get a much superior field of view with towing mirrors - particularly when abroad and I need a different perspective that the cars mirrors aren't really set up to provide..

Eribanut, and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:36 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

In your example yes you can see what is in the outside lane but you cannot see if anything is behind the Troll. With Towing mirrors you would be able to.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:43 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

We towed our Triton with a Discovery 3 for twelve years without mirrors, all was ok. When we swapped to a Troll in 2018 we bought mirrors and attach them without fail every time we are towing. They don't really offer very much improvement but it is a) a legal requirement and b) does away with that excuse for being stopped by a bored policeman who hasn't fulfilled his quota.
Got ours from towsure for about £20 easy to fit , haven't fallen off (yet) and for peace of mind stick em on, you don't have to actually use them.

Denise & Phil

Stan Doori and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:12 pm
by Stan Doori | 214 Posts

Having towed a big white beast for 15 years with my V70 and then moved to my Eriba I agree that mirrors don't really seem necessary now. I've not towed my Eriba that much but reckon they are useful on dual carriageways and motorways where any extra visibility is valuable. And it's not really much hassle to put them on for peace of mind.

Thought for the day - hmmm......
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:56 pm
by Biljul | 51 Posts

What you need to ask yourself is: if the view out of the cars side mirrors is so good why do manufacturers fit a rear view mirror? If you find it helpful then similarly you will find extended mirrors helpful.

Triton 420GT and Kia Sportage 2.0 Diesel.
Stan Doori and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:12 pm
by atkinbrown | 62 Posts

Also, check with your insurance company. They will try and find any excuse not to pay out and not having towing mirrors might be one of them.

Eriba 530GT and Golf 2ltr Estate
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:44 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Does anyone remember the Burden Retrovisor

8222594-726x420.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Eribanut and rutts like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:13 pm
by Bryn | 993 Posts

if you need to ask the question then the answer is yes

Kam and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:33 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #12
Does anyone remember the Burden Retrovisor

It makes doubly sure the van is still attached to car

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:58 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

*Update*

I bought a set of Milenco Aero 3 mirrors and they do conclusively improve my rearward vision. I didn’t find them particularly helpful on smaller roads but they are really helpful on the motorway and make me feel much more confident about overtaking as I can now see 3 or 4 cars back and therefore am more able to plan my lane changing better. Thanks for all the good advice.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 39 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2