RE: air awning versus normal poles

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 9:03 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 995 Posts

It tends to be with awnings etc that you get what you pay for.
If you want lightweight materials that you can almost see through and will only last a season or so you can pay a couple of hundred pounds.
If you want sturdy, strong materials that you definitely can't see through, that will last a decade or more then you can pay £1500 and there are all sorts in between.
You can buy cheap and consign yourself to buying again in a couple of years or pay a lot more and be fairly certain you won't need to buy again.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 9:37 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

I hear what you’re saying and agree to a point but over 300% more from a vango Ellwood air awning to a Kampa pop air is still going some. I was even starting to think about it till I hear/ see they can’t cope with a few undulations. I mean I’m not pitching on a mountain side, the pictures I’ve added are just our normal sites

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 11:17 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

As a Puck owner I have not much choice of awnings. It does make me wonder why have one at all. If you're not going to sleep in it why not have a separate shelter, it doesn't need to be attached to the caravan just the sake of saving stepping through a gap of 2 feet.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 11:37 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.110 Posts

hi Monoboard

I didn't mean to put you off the PopAir with the photos of our bad experience in Aberdaron but that is the only time with have tried it on grass.

The "pitch" was far worse than the pictures of your pitches - it was really just an undulating meadow with a line of EHUs. There was no defined pitch really and no sign of any laid pitch with chippings or anything similar.

However I do understand your reluctance to pay £800+ for something that may not suit your purpose.

Why don't you look at getting someone to run you up something that you could attach to either side of your Shadow and then put a decent windbreak in front? Or even get a decent windbreak and run it down the side of the Shadow any rain is coming from. If there is just two of you looking to sit out you can usually find a spot that is dry to sit.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 14, 2021 9:08 am
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

Monoboard,
a couple of years ago I posted about this from Decathlon https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable...le/_/R-p-310023 Some reviews were.variable from memory.
I considered one but at the time was still doing longer pitch times per site so a standard awning made better sense. There used to be a photo link on the Decathlon site where you could see how owners had used this with an Eriba as well as a free standing and independent unit. As it is free standing any sight slope would not be an issue, what would be is if on a C&MC site they would say it has to be used as an awning attached/linked to the van

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 14, 2021 9:44 am

We've used a Khyam Motordome on CMC sites without attaching it. We've never been pulled up on it.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 14, 2021 12:36 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

Does anyone now much about this awning good or bad. I preferred the look of the earlier version but apparently the Monarch is the replacement all be it in darker colours. I suppose all awnings that slide onto a awning rail (Preferred way) are going to have a problem but with the Tunnel bit, i mean the joining up section between the caravan & the main bit of the awning you would imagine there would be some give. Might end up looking like a twisted sock!! I do like the fact that it look light & airy and you can see out.
CampTech MotoAir Monarch

Last edited Fri May 14, 2021 12:45 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 14, 2021 1:23 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

I had swung totally to air awnings as major concern is i would not won't do damage my caravan putting an awning up/down or in wind. But i a gather some awnings with poles have adjustable poles where as air ones don't. The poled ones from what i can gather are a lot lighter to get through your awning rails so it might be finding an awning that has high quality adjustable poles + i like something that doesn't totally smother/obliterate my eriba & is nice and light inside with side windows

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 14, 2021 1:32 pm

I'd suggest going for a good quality awning, maybe porch size to save weight, but buy used. Generally they're in excellent shape and the price is tiny compared to brand new. We've had several Isabella and an NR awning secondhand and they were like new but only cost £200 or so.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 14, 2021 1:41 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

First thing is finding a model I'm happy with be it new or second hand. It would be so good to see a load actually set up on eriba's

Last edited Fri May 14, 2021 1:43 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 14, 2021 3:30 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

There is a good selection of awnings on the gallery to look at.

g8-Eriba-Awnings.html

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 14, 2021 4:05 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

Thanks I've spent ages going through them. the one i wondered about after going through them was the CampTech MotoAir Monarch
but presume with being an air awning it might have the same problem. I actually preferred their earlier version ( https://www.bowenawnings.co.uk/awnings/camptech/motoair.html ) with lighter colours but i think id like to actually seem some in front of me on an eriba.
Bugger, i've just edited this post, disregard this above, i'ev just read some reviews on trust pilot & there certainly not favourable, anyone can get an odd poor review but there appears to be quiet a few

Last edited Fri May 14, 2021 4:42 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 14, 2021 5:17 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

Awnings are a personal preference with style and functionality. I have got a steel pole and an air beam awnings, whilst on uneven ground they both have their problems. The air beam is static so it suffers slightly with reach, the steel pole can be moved up and down however the awning material can become a bit short. I have had severe pooling with a traditional pole pitched roof
awning and that is also something else to consider.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
monoboard and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 14, 2021 10:17 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

I have just erected our 2008 Unicorn Verona awning which came with the new to us van, fits nicely but I think it will be saved for trips abroad where it will be
more suitable to erect and we will get the benefit of the removable sides and front. and we will stick to the Vango Kela 3 for this country.

SOULBLUESMAN68 and monoboard like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 17, 2021 10:39 am
by monoboard | 350 Posts

I Nipped in quickly to one of the local caravan places at the weekend when passing for glance at awnings. One thing struck me in particular was the size of the packed air awnings in there bags, some where huge

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105591 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4