RE: air awning versus normal poles

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 11, 2021 12:47 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

Has any one used the vango Elwood Air Low & any comments on how it fits to the eriba both on height, width + the quality of it etc would be much appreciated

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 11, 2021 2:26 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Hiya GT runner please could you put some photos up much appreciated Morphy

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 11, 2021 4:13 pm
by Doonhamer | 77 Posts

I have one for my Puck L, it's great & as you probably know identical - in all ways apart from colour - to the Vango Siesta low.

2001 Super Puck chasing a Skoda Yeti
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 11, 2021 4:30 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

Does your Ellwood literally just slide straight on to the awning rail or does it need any other strip / fillers etc. My eriba is the 320

Last edited Tue May 11, 2021 4:47 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 11, 2021 4:57 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

I have just erected our 2008 Unicorn Verona awning which came with the new to us van, fits nicely but I think it will be saved for trips abroad where it will be
more suitable to erect and we will get the benefit of the removable sides and front. and we will stick to the Vango Kela 3 for this country.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 11, 2021 5:39 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

Alan, the Unico is a very nice awning, but like you I and many more out there think these "proper" awnings really are only for those longer trips. A sun canopy and a lightweight camper van style small awning are perfect for shorter breaks or when touring.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

monoboard and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Tue May 11, 2021 5:56 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 11, 2021 7:00 pm
by Doonhamer | 77 Posts

Slips right in, no need for any adaptors.

https://youtu.be/GTfCzt9vN3Q

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 11, 2021 9:17 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.110 Posts

Hi Doonhamer

It looks a nice piece of kit. I particularly like the zip out mosquito net at the front.

That's something that the Suncamp Vareo doesn't have at the front. We have something similar in our Berghaus Air Pole tent and its great for when the mozies come flying in the early evening.

Does the front zip out to create a canopy with a couple of poles?

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 12, 2021 7:49 am
by Doonhamer | 77 Posts

Hi SOULBLUESMAN68,

I really can't remember if you can prop the front door up as a canopy as the weather was so poor when we have used it that it has never crossed our minds

There's a bit of chat about the Siesta on this Bondi Low thread, perhaps someone there could answer your question? There is also my Heath Robinson method of stopping water pooling on the roof.

Vango Bondi Low review

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 12, 2021 4:08 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

Does any think there's any other awning that comes close to the Kampa pop air 290 for a eriba 320. its going to be vary expensive for a one week caravaning this year & probaly not worth putting up for my two night weekends when i can get away from work. But But after reading posts up to present with the vango ones bending poles (possibility of caravan damage) for fun it seems the air version is best but even they seem to have their moments. One other observation from the pics I've seen, the Vango Ellwood appears to have just one blow up hoop (and a problem of water pooling) where as the kampa on from what i can see has two hoops with connecting blow up tubes which again appears to give it a higher shaped ceiling & one would hope no water pooling in it. The Kampa again appears to be a lighter more airy space to sit in bad weather. I would not except to buy a new awning & have to prop poles here & there to stop water pooling or to sort problems with it. I suppose you make your choice and pay, you don't mind paying for what you get even if it was double the price of the vango but fom £250 to £825 + extras is some difference!! And with everyone holidaying in blighty its a sellers market!

Doonhamer likes this post!
Last edited Thu May 13, 2021 8:50 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 7:53 am
by Doonhamer | 77 Posts

I completely understand.

Awnings are very much a personal thing & a balance between ease of putting up, size, cost, materials used etc.

We also have a Walker awning, but now that it is just the 2 of us caravanning we don't envisage the need to use it & the Elwood is a happy compromise for us.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 8:56 am
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

Monoboard, I've just seen this. Would it work for you. https://www.leisureoutlet.com/air-techno...4519756222541b4
Kampa/Dometic had brought out something simpler. https://www.justkampers.com/mh0002-kampa...rity%20products

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu May 13, 2021 9:00 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 12:22 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

A quick question with regards to the pop air, has any found being on a hard/gravel pitch detrimental compared to setting up on grass like air tubes rubbing though etc i presume most people just use the steel spikes, a bit like 6 or 8 inch nails.
one other thing I've never had a proper awning just a sunshade, do sites usually charge you more with a awning?

Last edited Thu May 13, 2021 12:24 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 12:48 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 995 Posts

There's not usually a charge for an awning, though it can happen. It's more usual that there are certain pitches where an awning isn't allowed due to size/proximity to neighbours/fire regs etc.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 13, 2021 1:26 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

I have found that a lot of sites charge extra for an awning. Maybe it's the style of the sites that I like.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0