by Steamdrivenandy | 1.007 Posts

Unless you're deaf.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Scroll up

RE: A call for site reports

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 23, 2021 11:41 am
by eribaMotters | 5.319 Posts

You killjoys.It is the only C&MC site I have on my list for this year. We are booked in for a few days early June on the way from York to Northumberland coast. I wanted somewhere as a base to visit Durham and Newcastle. Mrs eribaMotters wants to do some RHS gardens in the area. I use earplugs at night as I'm used to noise.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 23, 2021 2:22 pm
by Captain Calamity | 346 Posts

Actually we have just been to the Cathedral which it turns out is worth a visit. The Castle is closed but there is quite a bit of street life, cafes and such, in Durham centre. So all is not lost ....

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 23, 2021 2:24 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

The CCC site at Barnard Castle is excellent for visiting the Durham area, Colin.

Nice walk through the woods to the town, fantastic fish and chips, Bowes Museum - well worth a visit.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 23, 2021 4:44 pm
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Well, it takes all sorts. We stayed at Durham Grange last Summer and we found it very pleasant indeed.

Yes, there is road noise but we didn't find it that bad, probably because we were out during the day visiting the many places of interest that surround the campsite. The wardens were excellent and a joy to have around. So much so that we filled in a questionnaire to sing their praises.

Durham and supermarkets are only a ten minute drive away. The North Coast of England is not that much further in the other direction. By driving up the coast you can see many of the coastal towns before crossing over to Newcastle.

The Angel of the North is about 20 minutes north and you are able to park the car and walk up to the Sculpture. The town of Barnard Castle is only about 25 miles away. Great place to visit. Ask Dominic.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

and Captain Calamity like this post!
Last edited Sun May 23, 2021 4:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 23, 2021 7:38 pm
by Captain Calamity | 346 Posts

Don’t take my musings too seriously Roger. Just my view and I know the site gets many 5 star reviews. But it is a stopover site. Major exodus in the morning and a long queue of WWBs at 12.00 every day.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 24, 2021 9:20 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

No I don't Kevin. As I said, each to their own

As you imply, most campsites near Motorways are commonly used for stopovers especially by campervans. Furthermore Cand MC sites are easy to book (no deposit) and easy to accessible.

I suppose Durham is a particular favourite as the 12 noon arrival is quite flexible ( we were let in immediately the wardens had finished cleaning the toilets at 11:30am) so as a stop over sight it has easy access to the Motorway and plenty of time in the afternoon to visit Durham City and the supermarkets, before moving on the following day.

Although we had what some would call a primary spot across from the toilet block, we found that vehicle movement didn't bother us., probably because it's an open site so not a hell of a lot of trees, hedges and fences to negotiate. You know what a fuss some people make of those.

A very disappointing site for motor mover folk as you don't really need to use them

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon May 24, 2021 9:21 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 24, 2021 11:30 am

General update. When phoning around for CL's I've found many have no plans to open showers or toilets this year. You need to ask this if you are lucky enough to find one with a pitch vacancy.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 27, 2021 12:31 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

We’ve just had a week at West Runton C&CC, funnily enough the C&MC Incleborough Fields is literally next door. You can see them through the hedge. So we can report on both because we had a nosy.
West Runton has both toilet blocks open, cleaning 4 times a day. I used our own loo and the camping shower in the awning but Neil used the showers in the block. Spotlessly clean, normally empty. Only point of contention was a sign saying “maximum 15 people in the block”. Not sure how that would be policed and how can you tell how many are in until YOU go in, do you then count feet in cubicles under the door?
Incleborough Fields looked equally spotless but had the wristbands in the bucket of Milton outside each block, thereby limiting numbers.
All touch points on the site were regularly disinfected and all seemed very safe.
Slightly off topic, this part of Norfolk is to my mind under rated. The beaches are beautiful, lots of wide sand and there are so many footpaths. We walked everyday 6 or 7 miles, somewhere different every day. The car never moved after we arrived until we left.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Aaron Calder and sibillini like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 27, 2021 9:09 am

We used to stay at this CL just north of Cromer when visiting Lizzies elderly godmother. https://www.churchfarmcottagesnorfolk.co.uk/ A wonderful little site. If you check the availability you will see many think likewise. Even pre covid it was busy.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 27, 2021 7:47 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

Anyone going Norfolk way I can thoroughly recommend East Ruston Vicarage Gardens it is one of the best I have ever seen but get there early as there’s so much to see we only had around 4 hrs so felt we had to rush. There is also a cafe there.

and sibillini like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 28, 2021 2:09 pm
by sibillini | 236 Posts

Tredegar House Country Park C&MC Newport

5 Minutes from the M4 with a very friendly reception and plenty of vacant pitches. Pick which one you like. Don't mind which way round you pitch as long as its to the peg. Roger must have visited.

Spotless loo block using three in at a time with three rubber bands kept in a bowl of water/disinfectant, take one out and hang it on the hook when you go in, very effective.

Bit of noise from the M4 and road along the side but the rest of the site backs onto Tredegar House Park with its lakes and parkland. Lovely Azaleas and Rhododendrons in flower.

Newport has its transporter bridge but to be honest little else. Cardiff is some 15 minutes drive with everything you could wish for in a small Capital city. The National Museum of Wales has the most important collections of french impressionists in the UK and is well worth a visit. All collected by two sisters named Davies. LinkYou also have Cardiff Bay and Barrage, the Vale of Glamorgan, Brecon Beacons and much more on your doorstep.

2002 Eriba Troll 540 (Elsie) + Honda CRV 2.2 diesel
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:20 pm
by Old Rocker | 493 Posts

Bridlington CMC site visited for 7 nights 4th May onwards, booked in still in your car card payment only. Toilet blocks open but showers closed but were due to open although limited Wardens rather large and quite brusque. Our friend and his wife were Wardens up to this year but have gone to relief wardens for sites with only 2 Wardens. Mainly due to the aggresive behaviour from some visitors, they were at Blackshaw Moor last year. Which makes you wonder if larger wardens are being put in charge of sites that may have had problems last year. Site is very spacious with a very good dog walk. Sewerby Hall and Gardens are just a 5 mins drive with North beach just a further 10mins away. All serviced pitches were taken most nights but other pitches probably around 75%.
A very pleasant site but on no account should you let your dog off the leash when the wardens are about we let Rosie off just a iin front of our awning to have a biscuit but were told off by a vigilant warden!

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:46 pm
by sibillini | 236 Posts

Hunters Lodge, Starcross, Near Exeter, Devon

An adults only site some 15 minutes drive from the A38/M5. The site is situated in a valley about 15 minutes walk from the centre of Starcross on the River Exe. A very friendly welcome from the owner and large hardstanding pitches comprising Paviours, Shingle and Grass. The grounds were immaculate. Only half a dozen units on site but with a regular turnover at a time when the C&CC at Slapton was heaving.

Only one shower and a couple of loos per sex but spotlessly clean. £1 / 7 minutes.

The site has two excellent pubs 15 minutes walk away at Cockwood Harbour, the ferry to Exmouth, train station and a decent Spar can be found in Starcross. The Exe Estuary Trail passes through Starcross or take the ferry and start in Exemouth and walk/cycle back. Dawlish and the "Devon Riviera" are on your doorstep.

Given the limited ablutions, I wouldn't recommend in high season as there are large camping fields.

C

2002 Eriba Troll 540 (Elsie) + Honda CRV 2.2 diesel
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:49 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

Just had a week at Greenway Touring and Glamping park Craven Arms Shropshire.
Lovely site, showers and loos available but not all open due to cleaning regime, those that are open are cleaned up to three times a day and one clean includes misting for covid elimination. Friendly owners, very helpful. Not full but reasonably busy. A choice of hard standing (some fully serviced) or grass pitches on a gently sloping site. We had no worries over covid precautions, felt almost normal, happily go again.
Jef

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 34 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12532 topics and 105723 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1