Anyway, I watched it, not read it here with some amusement:
https://youtu.be/V1KuQ5yi0Z4
Very droll commentary...

Last edited Thu May 20, 2021 7:25 pm | Scroll up

RE: Dacia Duster tow car

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 20, 2021 7:54 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.305 Posts

Colin/Paula,
regarding a re-plate/upgrade. The issue is not cut and dry and differs from year to year on different models.It might be possible, it might not.
As an example, my now sold 2006 Familia had a body plate of 850kg. Other Familia were sold with a 900kg body plate. I looked at the axle and found it rated at 1050kg as Eriba had bought in standard axle/chassis at the closest match. I asked Hymer for a 1050kg body plate but they refused as the body chassis combination had only been type approved/tested to a max of 900kg. I paid the ?? Euros and they sent me a new sticky plate for the body that said 900kg.
If we skip forward to newer vans then you will find they leave the factory with an axle labelled the same as the body. My 2017 1200kg body plated Triton has a 1200kg axle. If I got under a 1300kg body plated Troll I believe I would find a 1300kg plated axle and not a 1400kg plate.
As such I do not believe it is possible to do a re-plate upgrade on newer vans.

I believe this discrepancy with older vans came about as a result of the different driving license laws in operation across Europe. In France a Triton could be ordered with a 1050kg axle as I'm guessing the train weight combination of that van was the max towable by the original owner with the intended tow vehicle.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 20, 2021 8:34 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

FCM's query about MTPLM upgrades really refers more to the situation with UK built caravans.

UK customers are deemed to be very weight sensitive. No dear it didn't mean you.

In fact it's a particular worry that has been brought on by the manufacturers themselves who make so much fuss about the lightness of their vans as if it was the holy grail. What it's meant is that UK manufacturers allocate a payload to each model. The UK trade body, the NCC, introduced a minimum payload formula to try and ensure a level playing field, so that certain marketing departments didn't go really silly with minute payloads, just to get a sales edge. The result has been that whilst the manufacturers are quite at liberty to provide higher payloads, none do for fear of looking heavy and thereby losing sales. The formula is based on so many kg per metre length, so many kg per berth plus 50kg for an assortment of gear. So you can almost guarantee a 2 berth van will have a 120kg payload, a 4 berth about 155kg and a 5 berth 165kg etc.

Obviously the resulting MTPLM's are a combination of MIRO and Payload. So, if a van has a MIRO of, say 1012kg and an allocated payload of 115kg, the MTPLM will be 1127kg. But no axle maker produces a 1127kg axle, so the manufacturer fits the nearest size above (1200kg). The plated and legally binding MTPLM is 1127kg, but we all know that the axle can stand 1200kg, but the only way the owner can access the additional 73kg of payload is by gaining the manufacturers agreement and a new plate with a 1200kg MTPLM shown. So, all it takes is a sticker and a bit of paper to increase the MTPLM.

The Continentals do it differently. They believe customers aren't so hung up on weight and tend to supply their vans with a fairly good payload as standard and they almost always make the MTPLM match the axle that's fitted. So that same 1012kg MIRO van would have a 1300kg axle fitted as standard and the MTPLM would match making the payload 288kg. Mind you not all is rosy on the Continental side because their basic 1012kg MIRO van will be poverty spec and to bring it close to UK spec. quite a few cost options need to be purchased and they eat a fair chunk of that extra payload.

Even with their large payloads, sometimes it's not enough, so Continental vans can have their payloads upgraded, but because the axle is at its limit, it has to be modified to cope with an extra 100 or 200kg. This upgrading usually means either strengthened and heavier rubber based suspension bushes and/or stronger wheels and/or tyres and it's for this reason that when you buy an Eriba upgrade (only really available factory fitted at birth) you get a net 90 or 190kg payload increase despite the MTPLM increasing by 100 or 200kg, because the upgrade itself weighs 10kg, in essence the MIRO increases by 10kg.

HTH

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

FINNWOODY likes this post!
Last edited Thu May 20, 2021 8:38 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 20, 2021 9:29 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

An education.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:39 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

[/quote]'Upgrade the MTPLM plate'? Always confused about this. I read somewhere that for small fee you can simply get a new badge/sticker and cert stating the upgrade without actually getting anything done to the chassis. Like living in denial or something. Interested to know how you went about that. ALKO upgrade I'm guessing.[/quote]

On some Eribas the axle is already rated for the higher MTPLM, Hymer plates it for the lower weight so that it can help to comply with various driving licenses without having to do a towing test. I think in the UK it's a combined weight of 3500kg of the car and van , after that you have to take a test unless like me you have grandad rights because you passed your test before a certain date. I contacted Hymer in Germany and gave them my serial number of my Familia and handed over €89 for the upgraded MTPLM plate.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:49 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Interesting to know that you can get a new plate direct from Hymer: my dealer advised it would cost me nearly £500 for them to do it

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:08 pm

Quote: Just_Chilin wrote in post #21
Interesting to know that you can get a new plate direct from Hymer: my dealer advised it would cost me nearly £500 for them to do it

I contacted Lowdhams where I bought my Familia from, they were very honest and told me it would be far cheaper if I did it myself and gave me the contact details.

Last edited Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:11 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:23 pm

It really does depend on your van.

Very few Eriba Tourings were/are supplied with axles that are rated higher than their MTPLM, though this is normal practice on UK built caravans. That's why Eribas have MTPLM's that are in exact '00's i.e 1200kg, 1300kg, 1400kg etc, because that's what the axle is rated at.

The dealer that suggested £500 would have been giving a price for fitting a heavier axle.

I suspect that getting a heavier axle fitted to most Touring's these days will cost a lot more than £500 and in most cases it's actually a lot cheaper to sell your van and buy an upgraded one, rather than go through the cost and angst of an upgrade.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:44 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Nope: that wasnt the case.

The dealer specifically said its just a plate change:)

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:59 pm

Quote: Just_Chilin wrote in post #24
Nope: that wasnt the case.

The dealer specifically said its just a plate change:)

I very much doubt it.

Axle upgrades currently cost £380 as a factory fit option and weigh 10kg. So if you order an upgrade of 100kg on a new van then you actually get a 90kg increase in payload.

To upgrade after the van is built requires stripping out the old axle and fitting an uprated one. it's a substantial bit of work and Hymer will not supply the upgraded plates and certificate of conformity unless the work has been validated.

UK built vans, on the other hand, have allocated MTPLMs and the axles fitted are the next standard size up. So if the MTPLM is, say, 1210kg, the axle will be 1300kg and a 90kg upgrade is possible just by issuing a new plate and certificate. On the other hand, if the allocated MTPLM is 1295kg, with a 1300kg axle fitted the upgrade can only be 5kg, which isn't worth having.

Your van's VIN plate will have the van's axle limit and MTPLM on it and in most cases on Touring models the figures are identical and therefore can't be upgraded without alterations to the axle.

Last edited Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:02 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:10 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.305 Posts

Andy, I believe the vans vin plate does not have the axle limit on it. The MTPLM on it refers to the max axle bodyweight combination.
My 2006 Famila had a bodywork/vin plate with a MTPLM weight of 850kg, whilst the axle plate stated 1050kg.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:48 am

I have been careful to say 'most' Colin.

Since 2013 when Type Approval regulations insisted on it the VIN plate has to have the MTPLM and the axle limit shown and on Tourings they're normally a repeat of each other. In fact Hymer had been compliant with that aspect of plating for decades before. When the regs came in most UK manufacturers got in a terrible stew with labelling, quoting some ludicrous figures for several months, Bailey being a noted example.

If weight upgrades on Tourings didn't require heavier axles why have they been listed as weighing 10kg according to Hymer price lists for decades back, a new certificate of conformity and VIN plate/decal don't weigh that much?

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:39 am

There is more information in this thread regarding the MTPLM plate upgrade

MTPLM upgrade

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:21 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Our 05 Troll 552 was plated as MTLP 1200 k, when I looked underneath the axle plate was 1300k, so I applied to Hymer to get an uprate, which they agreed to after giving them the VIN No and axle No to check that it would still conform, for a cost of €89, this consists of a new sticky back plate with all the relevant information on it, a clear sticky back protector to go over it, and they edit the information held on their system.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:48 am
by Bryn | 992 Posts

I remember when life was easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my skoda Octavia does everything I need

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 64 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12522 topics and 105646 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5