Canopies and pitch fees

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:55 am
by Ronnie | 68 Posts

When paying and reserving a pitch online is a canopy and windbreak classed as an awning?
Do people tick the box and pay the extra awning cost even though your using a sun canopy with windbreaks?

Scroll up

RE: Canopies and pitch fees

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:32 am
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

So far I have avoided sites that state an awning cost, but at the time of booking I say I may use a small open canopy. At a C&MC site this is a must as they class your canopy as an awning when working out which pitch to put you on. I believe it is to do with fire break distances.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
monoboard, Ronnie and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:26 pm
by Raconteur (deleted)

Always a win when someone asks the same question you are just pondering. Our new van has an omnistor and I was wondering if I needed to book an ‘awning’ pitch! Thank you!

Skoda and 540GT
Ronnie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:09 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 995 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #2
So far I have avoided sites that state an awning cost, but at the time of booking I say I may use a small open canopy. At a C&MC site this is a must as they class your canopy as an awning when working out which pitch to put you on. I believe it is to do with fire break distances.

Colin

But at least the CMC don't charge you extra for an awning pitch, it's just that they only allow awnings on wider pitches due to fire regs., so that the necessary safety gap between rigs is maintained.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:28 pm
by Ronnie | 68 Posts

I maybe wrong but I don’t think Motorhomes pay extra for winding out a canopy. I’m finding limited choice for sites at the moment especially when trying to include a Saturday so it’s difficult to choose another site to avoid the awning fee sometimes.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:48 pm

Ronnie,
I know Saturday is an issue as the working folk block book in advance and nab these slots. We have had success in finding sites using the C&MC CL network and smaller private sites, often adult only, found though UKCampsites website. I've lined up one starting next Sunday for 4 days and three for a two week trip end of August into early Sept. Best of luck in your quest.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Ronnie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:39 pm
by Ronnie | 68 Posts

Colin,
I’m a camping and caravanning club member, only ever used them for extra discount at go outdoors so far. Might have to join the caravan club ( as I call it ) as they seem to have nicer CL sites compared to the CS sites and more choice.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:38 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

From our limited experience the C&CC CLs are excellent value, and we have yet to be disappointed

Dave

Dave & Taka
Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Duo T
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:52 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.452 Posts

We joined the C&MC this year as we were expecting to be holidaying at home. So far we have not used any of their sites as they seem more expensive then the C&CC. We are booked on one next week so can report then, it’s cheaper as it has no facilities. Not bothered as I’m still not using them anyway.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:22 pm

For my next two trips 3 of the 4 sites I have are C&MC site CL's. They have electric hook-up, toilet, shower and free wi-fi. Two cost £15 and the other is £20.

Colin

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:10 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #2
Colin

I found that out when we went on CMC at York, we had a non awning pitch and asked could we put up our shadow canopy, we got a resounding no. However all the motorhomes in non the awning pitches were winding their Thule awnings in and out for fun and the wardens never batted an eye lid?

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:47 pm

I was given further clarification on the canopy situation at Brighton C&MC site. I'd asked for an awning pitch but one was not available. I said I'd put the canopy up and was told I'd need to take it down at night. I pointed to our Eriba outside reception window and explained the combined footprint of van and canopy would be less than the footprint of the average caravan on site. The nice lady looked out the window and told me she would not be coming around at night asking me to take it down.
As some will know I'm not a lover of C&MC main sites. They do have decent toilet blocks but are often densely populated manicured car parks.
The layout in the following photos will give you an idea of how C&MC pack the vans in. The area of the fields in the photos is similar.
a is Durham C&MC site at £30
b and c are Greenacres Carlisle an independent [adults only] site at £21.

a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)b.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)c.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:49 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:45 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.110 Posts

that looks like a good pitch you have at Carlisle Colin - see why you like it.

We are veteran members of the C & C Club from our tenting days and joined C & M C in 2016 when we got the Troll. We also use a couple of other private sites.

We tend now to probably use C & M C sites more than C & C C but we do need to explore more small CL sites.

We don't use our shower in the 540 and this has led to us tending to pick the C & M C sites as the shower blocks on the whole tend to be less busy than in the C & C C sites, where there are lots of tenters & campervan people who rely on the toilets. Many people with BWB and large motorhomes seem to use their own bathrooms. The two private sites we use both seem to have few people who use the bathrooms.

The big bugbear with C & M C sites is that people can book way ahead and don't have to pay a deposit. Some members seem to be in the mindset of booking at lots of different times and then they don't lose any money if they cancel. This partly creates the problem that Colin refers to of so many weekends being booked up far, far in advance. Being retired we often go Monday to Thursday anyway but it becomes an issue when you want to travel for further and longer.

I don't have any solid evidence of this but think that more places come up last minute at the C & M C sites as people have cancelled near to the dates. I have been shocked sometimes to look at sites that appeared full and then found later that there were some spaces available.

I also have found some of the most officious jobsbody wardens have tended to be on C & M C sites and some of the most helpful wardens on C & C C sites but this is a massive generalisation.

As to the issue of asking about whether you put canopies on certain pitches with an Eriba m y experience has suggested that you are often better just to do it anyway and claim innocence and appear perplexed if a warden does come to remonstrate with you. If you ask a certain type of warden it seems to give them the opportunity to "exercise their power" and refuse.

Good luck with bookings

MikeT

Ronnie likes this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:48 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:51 pm
by Bryn | 991 Posts

http://www.parklandsite.co.uk/ booked for 5 days end of July, (no kids or dogs) & Whitefield Forest Touring in the Isle of White for September, hopefully all will be ok, updates to follow

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:03 pm

We stayed at Whitefield Forest last September. It is nice site with the short access road onto a busy fast bend. Pitches work up through a series of terraces. The middle ones if you have a choice are nearest the very nice toilet block and reception. Free internet is only available at reception not across whole site but you may be lucky if close to the building. Pitches are mainly gravel, nice and level with space and lots of grass around. If you have not yet booked check with the site as some site/ferry combos are best booked direct with them. The site reception has a map of short walks that mainly start outside the main gate and turn left up a track and are undemanding and fairly scenic. You will find a very large Tesco off the main roundabout only a mile or so away. If you have not visited the island before then it will come as a nice surprise to find a lot of spots offer free parking for an hour I think. If you visit The Needles then be prepared for the opposite. You will have to use the designated car park and it's not cheap.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105583 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2