RE: Government Mirror Warning

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:44 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

I have a puck which I tow with a Seat Ateca.

The Ateca is wider than the puck and I therefore do not need additional mirrors.

Simples!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:49 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Whilst driving on the M25 on Saturday, a Porsche tincan (or something like that) passed us in the outside lane, well above 70 towing a large Coachman WWB and no extending mirrors (caravan was much wider than the car). Must have been worth 9 points!

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:58 pm
by Bryn | 994 Posts

I always thought I had excellent rearview vision without extension mirrors, Skoda Octavia + Familia 320 until I fitted quality towing mirrors, the difference in what you see is amazing and safe?

SOULBLUESMAN68 and Ray Lawrence like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:50 pm
by Old Rocker | 496 Posts

I very much doubt that if you are using two mirrors when towing that
A you would be stopped
B if you were I doubt they would carry a tape measure and know the correct measurements

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:30 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I don't really think the key issue is about being stopped. It lies in doing all that is reasonably possible to make the towing experience safer for both yourself and others. That is, avoiding pranging your pride and joy.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Williebraveheart, eribanaut and Bryn like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:10 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

The other thing for me is on roads like the York ring road being able to see cyclists & motorcyclists under and overtaking you in between lanes, often at quite a speed.

The damage our Eribas would do to them and how they would damage our vans bodywork does not bear thinking about.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:08 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #8
Robin,
I typed "towing mirrors law" into my Bing search bar and the first thing that came up was:-
"Contrary to popular belief, towing mirrors are a legal requirement for the majority of cars including 4x4’s that are towing a caravan or trailer. The Law. The law is very clear on the subject of mirrors and towing – If your trailer or caravan is wider than the rear of the towing car, you must fit additional towing mirrors; Aside from breaking the law, if you choose not to fit them you run the risk of – A 3 point penalty on your licence; Being prosecuted by the police"

Colin

Thankyou Colin

Robin.

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing a 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel

Last edited Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:37 pm
by Sulphurman | 82 Posts

I'm not surprised at this, given the amount of mobile sheds for sale on ebay of late that are "ready to go" lol. As soon as the schools break up there will be a lot of people who are not savvy out there and there will be issues.

Steve
Esther the Puck and Bianca the BMW. Esther's Instagram

Last edited Wed May 18, 2022 10:45 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:15 pm
by Old Rocker | 496 Posts

2019 heading to Cornwall joining M5, car no extended wing mirrors pulling white box was in middle lane. Pulled back over to inside lane without seeing the car just in front of us. Luckily he slowed quickly as did we accident narrowly avoided. When we were behind the WB we couldn't even see the car never mind his ordinary wing mirrors. We quickly overtook him to remove ourselves from any other possible incidents

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be

Last edited Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:27 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

Now here’s a conundrum. The Freelander is 1.92 m wide excluding mirrors. The Eriba is 2.0 m wide ergo, according to this thread I need towing mirrors. The Landy is 2.2m wide over the mirrors. A pair of aero 2 towing mirrors add 16 cm to each mirror. The total width of the Landy is then 2.52m. This then exceeds the max 20 cm each side protrusion beyond the max width of the trailer by 12 cm. So if I do fit towing mirrors I break the law. Must find what the law actually says as I can meet the viewing requirements shown in the diagrams with the standard mirrors, just.
Jef

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:37 pm
by Andrew Carter (deleted)

What do you guys think… an Audi A3 at 1793mm towing a Puck L at 1800. An entire 3.5mm either side. I’m sure I can meet the viewing requirements, but technically it is wider than the body of the vehicle. As above, adding mirrors may exceed the max width!
Thanks,
Andy

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:33 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

Yes, it’s an interesting point isn’t it. I have yet to find a link to what the law actually says. I suspect it will specify viewing criteria rather than the general “if your trailer is wider…”
Otherwise as in these two cases we have a law that contradicts itself, not impossible but unlikely.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:11 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Andrew, the wording relates to the width at the rear of the car being wider than the van. The rear end of my Audi A3 is considerably narrower than the front of the car. You need to measure very accurately, or better still just buy a pair of mirrors please. You will not regret the purchase.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Bryn likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:49 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

The 20cm rule is to prevent hitting a pedestrian with your mirrors when driving the car or the trailer close to the kerb. The law is clear. If extending mirrors break the law, fit smaller mirrors if necassary.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:53 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:52 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: JefL wrote in post #27
Yes, it’s an interesting point isn’t it. I have yet to find a link to what the law actually says. I suspect it will specify viewing criteria rather than the general “if your trailer is wider…”

Without wishing to make heavy weather of this, what it says on the government website seems to me to be pretty unambiguous.

No, it doesn't specify viewing criteria, but couldn't you make a case for saying that the more straightforward the guidance the easier it is to understand and to implement?

What isn't simple about measuring across the rear of your car, comparing that to the width of the caravan and acting accordingly?

Surely that's better than hitching up the van, taking the entire rig - and a reluctant assistant - to a place where the reluctant assistant is ordered to wander off down the road behind until they disappear from view while trying to understand increasingly impatient shouting and not end up as a radiator ornament on a Scania.

You can't help but get the impression that people will ignore simple guidance and spend an inordinate amount of time trying to dissect the complicated version to see if it they can find a legitimate way of not having to use extension mirrors at all.

Of course there will be grey areas where the difference between the two measurements is marginal. There are bound to be, but in those cases wouldn't it make more sense to use them than not use them?

Sure, they're a palaver to fit, but then caravanning generally is a palaver. How could attempting to tow a smaller version of your house behind a car be anything else?

What there is no doubt about is that they do make towing safer. And if they do, why do we (and I include myself in that) seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find a way of wheedling out of putting them on?

I'm not being self-righteous about this. Not at all. I don't use my extra mirrors anywhere near as often as I should, so I'm in no position to preach.

Pip1136, Randa france and Bryn like this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:53 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2