Government Mirror Warning

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:17 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Just seen this warning from the government stating,

Caravan owners set for £1,000 fine and penalty points for not using special towing mirrors.

I use the extended caravan mirrors when towing but I have seen some that do not have extended mirrors fit. Morphy

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Government Mirror Warning

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:29 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

As someone on CT said 'they wanted to know what was so special about these towing mirrors as they had standard towing mirrors'.

As it was an article on the Daily Express website I suggested they were fitted with blinkers.

Bad wording by the Express, it should've read 'special mirrors for towing'.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:57 pm
by AlanC | 94 Posts

So is the government changing the law regarding extension towing mirrors?

According to the C&MC towing course I went on last year, there is no legal requirement to have towing mirrors, only a legal requirement to be able to see a certain area behind you.

Having said that, saloon and estate cars and small SUVs will be narrower than the average caravan and so will not meet the requirement of the law. Mid-sized vans and larger do.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:41 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Alan,
this is something that has been covered many times. For the uninitiated, at the end of the day towing mirrors offer a greater rear view whether a legal requirement or not. Those that use them will know this. As such they make for a safer tow and reduce the very very small chance of being pulled over by plod and entering a difficult conversation as to why you do not have mirrors.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
marmite, eribanaut, Sportique, , campnsnooze and scouteralf like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:24 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

I am strongly of the view that they do help you even when towing something as narrow as an Eriba.

It was proved to me one day when I set off to return to Clitheroe from Knaresborough C & M C site, and in my increasing forgetfulness (and obviously Kath's as well) I pulled out right onto the Knaresborough to Ripley and instinctively checked in both mirror extensions, neither of which were there...............I could see a tiny bit of road in the drivers mirror and grass verge in the other.

Fortunately as many of you will know there is a caravan size layby just down the road towards Ripley & rear vision was restored within a few minutes.I certainly wouldn't try to tow without them.

aging is a lovely process........

MikeT

Bryn likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:33 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #5
aging is a lovely process...
And still far better than the alternative, Mike

Williebraveheart and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:43 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

If the towing vehicle is fractionally wider than the caravan are mirrors still required?

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing a 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:11 pm

Robin,
I typed "towing mirrors law" into my Bing search bar and the first thing that came up was:-
"Contrary to popular belief, towing mirrors are a legal requirement for the majority of cars including 4x4’s that are towing a caravan or trailer. The Law. The law is very clear on the subject of mirrors and towing – If your trailer or caravan is wider than the rear of the towing car, you must fit additional towing mirrors; Aside from breaking the law, if you choose not to fit them you run the risk of – A 3 point penalty on your licence; Being prosecuted by the police"

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
SOULBLUESMAN68 and PooleDweller like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:29 pm
by Border Reiver (deleted)

This picture shows the required field of vision. If you cannot see this with your ordinary mirrors, towing mirrors required.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 towing-mirrors-1024x589.png 

iain . Ford Kuga soon to be towing Troll 542
SOULBLUESMAN68, , Doonhamer, AlanC and monoboard like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:35 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #8
”The law is very clear on the subject of mirrors and towing – If your trailer or caravan is wider than the rear of the towing car, you must fit additional towing mirrors”
The beauty of this is in its simplicity. It's difficult to misinterpret.

Bryn and PooleDweller like this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:17 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:26 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Just to add, you can be breaking the law if you fit extending mirrors when you don't need them.

quote from

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...-motor-vehicles

"where the bottom edge of an exterior mirror is less than 2 metres above the road surface when the vehicle is laden, that mirror shall not project more than 20cm beyond the overall width of the vehicle or, if the vehicle is drawing a trailer which is wider than the drawing vehicle, more than 20cm beyond the overall width of the trailer"

I would be breaking the law if I attach my towing mirrors to tow my Puck.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:55 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

Oooh, I’m going to have to get the tape measure out. Bill the Freelander is only 89 mm narrower* than Ben the 410. With a pair of Aero 2s on we might exceed that 20 cm. it’s going to be close.
I usually use just one towing mirror on the driver’s side, just to keep an eye on the idiots that tuck in behind. I can see the Eriba’s wheel arch flare on both sides in the normal mirrors.

•excluding mirrors

Jef

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:46 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

I'm going to do some checks but i Have a 2017 merc vito compact crew cab (great for bikes & leisure stuff) & tow a 2015 320 and as far as I'm concerned i don't think i need them but i will have to measure.
On line it says my vehicle including mirrors 2,249 wide but im still going to try & park up on the carpark & do measurements, so if i park up & measure 20 meters back from the drivers head and as long as i can see a width of 10 metres (eriba @ 2 meters wide + 4 meters at each side of the eriba) wide at that distance

Last edited Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:14 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:53 pm

See point 10 above. The rear of your Merc will be about 1800mm, so it is narrower than the van.

Colin

Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:06 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: monoboard wrote in post #13
I'm going to do some checks but i Have a 2017 merc vito compact crew cab (great for bikes & leisure stuff) & tow a 2015 320 and as far as I'm concerned i don't think i need them but i will have to measure.
On line it says my vehicle including mirrors 2,249 wide but im still going to try & park up on the carpark & do measurements, so if i park up & measure 20 meters back from the drivers head and as long as i can see a width of 10 metres (eriba @ 2 meters wide + 4 meters at each side of the eriba) wide at that distance
I don't really understand why people are making such heavy weather of this.

As per what Colin said several posts ago, it couldn't be clearer on the gummint website. This is verbatim:

"Towing mirrors

You must have an adequate view of the road behind you.

Fit suitable towing mirrors if your trailer or caravan is wider than the rear of your car.

You can be fined up to £1,000 and get 3 penalty points for towing without proper towing mirrors."

Measure across the back of the towing vehicle - the width across the mirrors isn't relevant - and compare it to the width of the van. If the van is wider, you should fit them.

There's no high-horsery going on here because I'm guilty of not using them myself when clearly I should be.

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:57 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 9 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1