Isabella shadow canopy adjustment.

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 26, 2022 7:44 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 264 Posts

Hi,
We’ve been using the shadow 300 for a year now, and it seems to have gone a little baggy in the middle.
I usually adjust it with an extra pole in the middle and tie that down with a guy line, but it’s flapping about a bit in the wind.

Obviously I can’t pull the edges down too far as it’s dragging on the door seal already.

We messed up the other night and ended up with a couple of pools in the roof.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to shrink the material or has anyone got a successful fix for this?

TIA, Steve.

Scroll up

RE: Isabella shadow canopy adjustment.

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 30, 2022 9:46 pm
by Richard | 15 Posts

I think the the trick here is to shorten the middle pole so it’s lower than the end poles. The orange tag in the middle is used for a third guy rope. Tighten this guy a little extra and you create a runnel or valley in the roof so that water runs straight down and off - no bagging, no flapping and no puddles! This arrangement seems to be a secret as it’s not shown in any of the advertising photos.
Richard

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 30, 2022 10:18 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

I've had more success with this V method than using an extra pole to raise the middle.

P1030431-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1040080-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Randa france, Inspecta_Gadget and cruickie like this post!
Last edited Mon May 30, 2022 10:18 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 31, 2022 9:00 am
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

That is the method we've used over the years too.
We remove the middle pole and let the guy rope do the work.
However,on our 360 Shadow which has a third pole as standard we still create a valley but leave the third pole in place.

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Inspecta_Gadget likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 31, 2022 9:03 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 31, 2022 9:44 am
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

Steve, a couple of other things we've found with the Isabella Shadow.
At each end of the awning piping there is a brass ring. We fix a guy rope to each of these and pull them sideways to front and rear of van. That keeps the Isabella from moving laterally.
Also , on both end poles we have added a further guy rope so that each pole is tensioned against the van but they are also sideways tensioned against each other.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Inspecta_Gadget likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 31, 2022 9:45 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 31, 2022 10:23 pm

Thanks for the assists everyone,
We found that by the time we have the middle low enough to prevent bagging, we can hardly open the door, and it’s rubbed the outer seal already.

We popped over to Yorkshire caravans on Sunday and spoke to the awning guys there. They made up a new pole which extends to about 2.5 metres, so we should be able to get the tension by raising the middle, whilst keeping the door clear of the canvas. They only charged £20, which apparently goes into their coffee fund!

Out on Thursday again, so I’ll report back on the results.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:30 am
by Doreen the troll | 39 Posts

Hi, I have found the V method the best option for rain, but, and it’s a big but, if sun is forecast a centre pole is popped in to give more headroom. The change time between the two options is seconds.
I use the shadow on the back of our Troll as a bbq area in case of rain, and a Vango Siesta on the front.
David

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:04 pm

It seems to be solved thanks for all your suggestions.

Stood up well to the breezy conditions of the last couple of days and the rain was running off just great.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 36C4C49E-9EC2-46AD-9C7A-D52809A78D4B.jpeg 
 A5E21044-B042-4746-914D-38FF533C5C6F.jpeg 

SOULBLUESMAN68 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:06 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:51 pm

That's got more ropes on it than a Round Britain Yacht.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Inspecta_Gadget and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:18 pm
by Captain Calamity | 356 Posts

Colin
I have been on a round Britain yacht and you are not wrong!
Would an awning not be the solution here? Our Pop-air pro does give most people the aesthetic heeby-jeebies but it does work a treat and it it is easy to put up. Function over form!
Capn C

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:44 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.156 Posts

Hi Inspector

I like the side bits that you have attached to give a bit of side shelter. I was toying with doing something similar a few years ago but as usual didn't get around to doing it, despite Randa's wife's designs for a side piece.

Does it get hot though with the clear side when the sun bursts through?

MikeT

Last edited Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:45 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:50 pm

Capn

We are going to Wales on a long trip and are taking both the Pop Air and the Shadow.

Shadow for a couple of night stays & Pop Air for longer.

The Pop Air does its job well but the pegging out takes ages with my dodgy hips, despite now having two great copper headed mallets. Never had it hot enough to unzip and take out the front panel of the Pop Air - perhaps this time in South Wales

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:49 am

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #11
Hi Inspector

I like the side bits that you have attached to give a bit of side shelter. I was toying with doing something similar a few years ago but as usual didn't get around to doing it, despite Randa's wife's designs for a side piece.

Does it get hot though with the clear side when the sun bursts through?

MikeT

It would be so nice to find out Mike!

We’ve just tried the clear tarp. this week and can tell you that it stops the rain and wind!

We have Jormax windbreaks for both ends, but I took one down last night just to make the photos clearer.

TBH, there’s plenty of f ventilation with the open front so it should be ok most of the time in Blighty. Mrs Inspecta made a shade from a bed sheet last summer for that rare occasion where the sun so that could be draped over the top.

We’re going to try a tarp at each side next week and not bother with the windbreaks, just to see how that works. 🙂

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:22 pm

Cheers Inspector

It would be good if you can give us some feedback on that.

I hope to be able to get some nice weather to take the zip front out of the PopAir, to see how that feels......will give some feedback on that

The other awning we use a bit is the SunCamp Vario and we got some hot weather at Southport C & M C site (one day only!) and the zip up front that turns into a sun canopy with some extra poles was brilliant. Shame the original Pop Air had no front canopy attachment.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:10 pm

[[File:Pictures .zip]]
Not sure if these will show as I'm on a tablet and getting confused.
We recently bought this secondhand Wigo off the forum. Imagine a 2.5m deep Isabella Shadow with an end. You can have the end to the right or the left. I made up the bracing roof pole arrangement. When, not if, it rains I'll try and pull the front i to a run off V.

Colin

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
Pictures .zip Pictures .zip

Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 77 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6