Will I damage by battery charger?

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:40 pm
by Mike J | 23 Posts

I keep my 2010 Puck L next to my house under a carport and have electric hook up permanently attached, both to keep the battery charged and as I use the caravan as an overflow office. However, I have heard that it’s not a good idea to have the battery permanently on charge from the on-board charger, and that it would be better to use a smart charger to keep the battery in good condition. I’m thinking of disconnecting the battery terminals and using a smart charger to charge the battery whilst still keeping the caravan on hook-up so I can use the power points.
However, I have two concerns about this: 1) Am I likely to damage my on-board battery charger if there is no ‘load’ I.e. battery present? 2) is it ok to leave the disconnected battery terminals lying loose if they are receiving power from the on-board charger?
I’d be grateful for any advice from anyone who knows about electrics/charging circuits. Many thanks.

Scroll up

RE: Will I damage by battery charger?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:27 am
by Inspecta_Gadget | 264 Posts

Hi Mike,
There’s no problem disconnecting the battery terminals so long as you keep them from shorting. For safety, covering the terminals with insulation tape will be a good start.

Ray Lawrence likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:30 am
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

My 2017 Triton has been left on 24hr hook up [except when on the road obviously] from the day I collected it.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:38 pm
by Mike J | 23 Posts

Thanks - I think I’ll leave well alone and leave it on hook up.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:51 am
by Inspecta_Gadget | 264 Posts

I too leave mine on constant, but I’m not so sure about older charger units, which is why I answered your question without comment.
I have a schaudt power unit (blue case) but I’m pretty sure our 2005 troll had a much simpler power supply and someone had fitted a booster to it.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 8 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1