Internal Foil insulation to stop damp / cold ingress

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:31 pm
by Craig89 (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I made a post about the cold / damp transferring to the bed cushions where they are pressed against the caravan walls

I thought about adding a 30cm wide strip of foil insulation on the wall to break the contact between the cushions and the wall

Do you think this would work? During the day it will be covered by the back rest so not visible

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394472486111?...emis&media=COPY

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Eevee likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Internal Foil insulation to stop damp / cold ingress

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:39 pm
by AHoy | 7 Posts

Creating an airgap between soft furnishings and the exterior wall is a good method. Some manufacturers build a plywood false wall around the bed and seat cushion area spaced off the exterior wall by around a cm. but no free space for that in an Eriba. An alternative is to try closed cell foam sheeting or the thin corrugated plastic board which is available in varying thicknesses and place that against the wall in affected areas. As you say it is hidden when the cushions are in seating use.

You want to avoid damaging the wall finish by using self adhesive material, the panels and firm rubber sheeting can be fixed using something like the 3M removable pads

Last edited Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:43 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:52 am
by Craig89 (deleted)

You might be right about not going for a fully permanent solution, I will have a look at something more removable

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:29 am
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Around the internal waist trim some vans have a velcro pad to keep seat back cushions in place. Could you do something similar with your insulated foil, wrapping it around a thin piece of ply with matching velcro locations on the back?

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:22 pm
by Craig89 (deleted)

I think I'm probably going to use corex and a few ares of double sided tape, if it works I might look for a more permanent solution

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:13 pm
by monoboard | 357 Posts

I have used a product ( if its still available ) called 2L2 which is two 3mm layers of what looks like silver bubblewrap bonded together and is supposed to be the equivalent of 4.5 inches of cosy wrap. being only 6mm thick it wouldn't tale up much room!

Rickys Rav likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:18 pm
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

That's like the stuff they put in roofs on the continent - reflective bubble foil - never seen any real proof that it's actually any good as an insulator, though. A bit like magnetic scale reducers...

In fact, if it's in physical contact with other material it would act as a faster transferrer of heat. I would have thought that it needs an air gap to work. In that case ordinary bubble wrap might be just as effective - and much cheaper.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:25 pm
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

"I think I'm probably going to use corex and a few ares of double sided tape, if it works I might look for a more permanent solution"

I have a case for transporting medicines at fridge temperature and that uses sheets of Correx as a way of slowing down the cold transference from the freezer packs in the bag.So the reverse should work too. Seems to make sense as something to try - and it's sturdy and available in translucent colour, so not too visible...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:25 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:19 pm
by Craig89 (deleted)

The corex seems to have done the trick

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 87 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5