spare wheel location

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:59 pm
by monoboard | 357 Posts

later this year i have a trip up the motorway to Scotland & have decided to take the spare wheel out from under the caravan (320GT) & pop it in my vito compact crew cab rather than risk crawling under the back of the caravan on a motorway & the stupid design cradle with the bolt that is welded into the cradle sticking up rather than one that unbolts. I have already modified the cradle to fit better round the motor mover but its to dangerous still on a motorway. does anyone else do the same

Last edited Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:02 pm | Scroll up

RE: spare wheel location

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:40 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.473 Posts

We’ve removed our tyre from under the van and now store it under the bed which is permanently made up. If we used the bed we’d probably store it in the car. It was hard enough removing the spare on our drive in good weather, would hate to do it on a motorway in the dark or rain.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:59 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Yes, we always carry our Eriba spare in the back of the car along with the spare wheel for the VW that we insisted on when we bought the car new (there was no accommodation for a spare in the car).

As we strip out all 5 rear seats before we travel we have plenty of room to accommodate both.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
cruickie and monoboard like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:33 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Monoboard, when you are next near an IKEA store get one of these https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/dimpa-stora...arent-10056770/ We used to carry our car spare in one when we had a Touran. I also stored my winter wheels and tyres in them when I had a Yeti. They are a perfect fi.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:09 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.618 Posts

I have a 320 and modified the cradle due to the motor mover obstructing the tyre removal . If I get a puncture I will be ringing Greenflag Mayday to change it for me, caravans are inherently unbalanced to start messing at a roadside to change a tyre.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:40 pm
by monoboard | 357 Posts

well I'm used to tyres & wheels after a lifetime in the tyre industry & jacking car tractors etc but i still wouldn't want to crawl under the back on a motorway & the carrier is a bad design. at some point in the future i will cut the threaded rod out of the middle of the caravan & make a piece of flat bar with a threaded rod welded into it + a dowl to one side to go through a stud hole & the threaded rod to go down through the centre of the wheel.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:55 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 264 Posts

Monoboard, I’ve done just that - (well, my mate welded it up for me)
It’s still a proper faff, even on the drive, so I think Julie and Randa have the right idea. It’ll help with the nose-weight too!

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.

Last edited Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:56 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:41 pm
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

This has really got me thinking about my spare slung under my triton (with motor mover). I will have a look at it when I get it out of storage next week. Last year I had the misfortune to have a puncture in a school minibus and the spare was fitted in a similar way. What a faff to get it out - When I dropped the cradle it didn't go low enough to get the wheel out (because the wheel on one side was flat!) - I had to drive that side up on to a kerb to get enough drop (I wasn't worried about damaging the flat tyre!!). Also, all the threads, etc. were filthy and needed cleaning before it would undo. And on a vehicle only a year or two old. Still much quicker than waiting for recovery, though - and it was a nice, sunny day!

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:54 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Yeah - just keep it in the back of the car along with the space-saver that I purchased with the new car. Uses up a bit of space, but hey-ho only the two of us travelling, so we just drop the rear seats and we have a handy estate car.

Dave

Dave & Taka
Cupra Formentor PHEV closely linked to Esther, a 1994 Pan Duo T
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 83 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0