New member with a troll and a lot of questions!

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:45 am
by Mags (deleted)

During our camping holidays in France, we spotted eriba caravans on our campsite. After a couple of years longing to own one, following an unexpected cash gift from my Mother, we recently became the owners of a 1990 's model Troll. The van sits in the back of our garden and is currently under going a face lift. It has the fashion interior, so we have added a darker floor, removed the tartan seat covers back to the original (I think?) greyish blue with flecks of bright colours? As I type, my mother is making new curtains and my partner is building a more useful cupboard space where the washroom area used to be. We are a family of three. Myself, my partner and seven year old son. I do have a lot of questions and hope it will be ok to post on here, but for now, I just wanted to introduce myself.
Thank you for reading
Mags

Scroll up

RE: New member with a troll and a lot of questions!

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:02 am
by hob (deleted)

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:08 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Hello Mags, fire away, we all have to learn and find out and this a great place to try.

A painting wot i done
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:09 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

welcome
sounds very intriguing
ask any eriba questions am sure someone will know the answer

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:33 am
by Mags (deleted)

I will try and keep this brief.
Unfortunately, due to accidental damage we need to replace the rear window on our Troll. We may be able to claim for this on our caravan insurance. We have to supply them with 3 quotes.
I have been asked to supply the 17 digit chassis number for a replacement window to be supplied. I cannot find this anywhere. All I have are two numbers No de serie: 273002 and Aufbau: 595635. Can anyone help with this? Who are good companies to approach in terms of eriba windows? How do I find the year of manufacture for the caravan? I think it is eary 1990s but again i have to supply this information. Also how do I obtain proof of ownership? We purchased our Troll privately through preloved.
Apologies for the bombardment of questions
Thank you in advance

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:44 am
by hob (deleted)

Aufbau: 595635 suggests the year 1989 with the first number 5 meaning 1980's and the second number the year hence 1989 my old puck is the same year.

the 17 digit chassis number should be on a plate on the outside of the van which looks like this and may be on the front or door side

P1290562.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:51 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

most Eriba parts come from either jandi, Automotive leisure, or Airstreamers and co at tebay
the numbers you have provided will identify it for the above, or you could take a picture of eriba and email?
the contacts details are in the links make a cuppa before calls and ensure comfortable

for got to say it may be possible to fit the window yourself all depending on your skills so really the cost may be reduced not to need to claim off insurance.

Last edited Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:00 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:53 am
by crow (deleted)

I have an older Troll ,though a few years younger than yours, I put in external water supply and
a hot water supply. Ask your questions and we will see which ones we can answer.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:58 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

am assuming you paid via a bank or pay pal that's the receipt you will need, cash wise, perhaps the seller will send you a dated letter saying sold to you on certain date and a signature.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:09 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: Mags wrote in post #5
Also how do I obtain proof of ownership?
This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway...

Why do you need to provide proof of ownership, and to who?

Presumably the insurance company (from whom you've established that they need three quotes) already accept that it belongs to you.

Doesn't make sense, but maybe it's just me.

Last edited Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:10 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:16 pm
by hob (deleted)

the 17 digit chassis number may well be located low down on the door side like this (click on image tor larger image)

P1290752.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:18 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:29 pm
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

Hello Mags and welcome to the forum. Really great that you could join us.

Zitat
I think it is early 1990s but again i have to supply this information.

Right, dating a Troll. It will be a little easier with a photo because like cars, Eribas underwent certain design changes and colour schemes throughout the decades. It's not an exact science because the changes were gradually streamed through the production plant so some vans of identical age to one another might have some difference in appearance.

If you go to our Troll Picture Gallery and look at Picture 4 you'll see a Troll with an off white top and a silver bottom with a distinctive red stripe and a series of white stripes. It also has a single curved front window and a projecting front gas locker. This style normally indicates that it's early '90's in date up to about 1994.
Next go to Picture 11 and you'll see a typical mid '90's Troll with the same shape front window and projecting gas locker but the colour has changed and is a slightly creamier white with a distinctive set of green stripes over a silver bottom. These are roughly dated as around 1994-1996.
Now go to Picture 16 (SAM_4483). This is our member KeithF's 1997 Troll. Note the same projecting gas locker box and single front window but the colours are now white again with a distinct purple stripe over silver bottom.
Finally Pictures 6 and 14 show late '90's-early 2000's Trolls. Mine is a 1999 purple stripe alongside a 1998 Dutch yellow stripe. Picture 14 shows a 2000 yellow stripe and these have been know to be as recent as 2002. Also notice that since 1997 the gas bottle has become integral and the front window is split into two.
So, do any of these look like yours?

As Hob has said, the most exact way to date it is by the VIN plate which should be low down on the outside, in front of the door. Below is a photo of ours.
The "Serien Nr. starts with 6 and the next number (smeared out) is a 9. The 6 means it's '90's and the 9 means it's 9, therefore 99.
Most parts suppliers like Jandi ask for either a photo of the plate or the Serial No and the VIN number.

I daresay however that if you can match your van up to one of the photos mentioned above you could try them out with that for I would imagine that as long as you've got the correct model sorted then the size and style of the window won't change.

Regards Randa

plate.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:14 am | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:36 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
The 6 means it's '90's and the 9 means it's 9, therefore 99.

this confirms my 1989 date for the troll

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:41 pm
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

Quote: hob wrote in post #13

Zitat
The 6 means it's '90's and the 9 means it's 9, therefore 99.

this confirms my 1989 date for the troll

Of course it does Nev. Sorry, I wasn't concentrating. Therefore, Mags, presumably the colour of your Troll is as Picture 4 or in fact, the same colour as the Eriba Puck Hob has posted above? Also it's a 1989 Model.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:15 am | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:03 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

[quote="Mags"|p4806 my partner is building a more useful cupboard space where the washroom area used to be.[/quote]

Mags! Whenever you ask questions on here you can expect to receive lots of replies from some very knowledgeable people but, not being one of them, I'm more interested in why your van doesn't have a washroom?

I know they are hardly the height of luxury when compared with the facilities in modern vans but most of us seem to find an inside toilet very handy, especially on cold or wet evenings when the prospect of a walk to the sanitary block can be a bit daunting.

Do tell.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 73 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3