RE: The dreaded mould - aaaarrrgggh!

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:03 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I'll try and say it before Pete does, I presume you don't keep servers and comms systems on your drive and that when you dehumidify them you do so in an enclosed room.

You are just wasting electricity believe us.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:16 pm
by Michelewatkins (deleted)

Not on my drive no, but in bespoke communication ISO containers that are stored just as outside as my drive!

They are bespoke and not sealed, there are many cables through bulkheads.

Well the mould hasn't returned since.

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:24 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

I'm glad it works for you.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Excuse me while I go and put 50p in my meter!

Last edited Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:26 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Zitat
You are just wasting electricity believe us.

I think it's all a matter of degree Andy. To take Pete's points:-
Best Case Scenario :- A sealed box.
Worse Case Scenario :- An open field.
A caravan is somewhere in between so in some circumstances a dehumidifier will be better than nothing at all. I've not used them in a caravan but have used them in the building industry for many years with varying degrees of success.

It's like the box of cat litter argument. We were told about it by a static caravan site owner who places the cat litter in each of his caravans every winter and swears by it. We started using it but had no opinion until someone elsewhere so strongly poo pooed the idea that we stopped using it. However, we feel that the humidity in the van seemed to be drier with the cat litter than without and nobody will convince us otherwise.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:38 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #20

I think it's all a matter of degree Andy. To take Pete's points:-
Best Case Scenario :- A sealed box.
Worse Case Scenario :- An open field.
A caravan is somewhere in between so in some circumstances a dehumidifier will be better than nothing at all. I've not used them in a caravan but have used them in the building industry for many years with varying degrees of success.

It's like the box of cat litter argument. We were told about it by a static caravan site owner who places the cat litter in each of his caravans every winter and swears by it. We started using it but had no opinion until someone elsewhere so strongly poo pooed the idea that we stopped using it. However, we feel that the humidity in the van seemed to be drier with the cat litter than without and nobody will convince me otherwise.

Randa

It's not a matter of degree, it's a matter of science.

The use of dehumidifiers in the building industry - and for drying out after flooding - is a different issue altogether. There you are attempting to remove excess damp - humidity, whatever - to get the level down to ambient. Unless the building is sealed, or you are using air conditioners continuously, you cannot get - and keep - the level of humidity below ambient. Nature will always seek to balance everything out, and outside air which is more humid will leak back in. In the case of a caravan it positively floods back in through all the vents and holes, ergo you are wasting electricity by trying - unsuccessfully - to dehumidify the outside air.

On the other hand, if you are happy that a tray of cat litter seems to make the inside of your van less humid than the air outside, who am I to argue?

I'm ducking out of this now.

Last edited Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:42 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:52 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

People swear by a container of salt. Just because it gets damp they think it's removing interior moisture. It's not, it's the ambient moisture level in the air.

Of recent days there's been sun and the sun is getting stronger as it heaves its way northwards from its holiday down south for our winter. Get inside any van when the sun's on it and it'll feel warm and drier than under a cold, wet, soggy sky. The ambient humidity will decrease as the heat dries up moisture in the air and in a van's contents.

People rarely go in vans in winter, they're damp, cold and generally inhospitable. Come the advent of Spring vans come into play and the ravages of damp, mould etc become evident, but by that time it's happened and all you can do is try and clean it, but gently, very gently or you'll make matters worse..

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:55 pm

I use mine all year round.

Last edited Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:55 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:16 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Zitat
On the other hand, if you are happy that a tray of cat litter seems to make the inside of your van less humid than the air outside, who am I to argue?
I'm ducking out of this now.

...and I don't blame you. I wish I'd never got into it as we've all seen the same debates time and again.

Suffice to say however that it equally makes no sense to waste gas or electricity in heating your van when on tour for there comes a point when you are heating the atmosphere. Not as wasteful as a patio heater however.

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:39 pm

image.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Eriba Troll 550 GT pushing Ford Kuga

Last edited Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:33 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

Michele

we bring the seats indoors to (warm) air before using eriba on jollys, otherwise pop the top on nice days.
(seat removal makes repacking easier..)
for winter storage ensure all cupboards are ajar slightly to ensure air flow.
I popped in ours yesterday and was pleased to see the pudding rice was dry in the lock and lock, those containers do work

I also pop in eriba quite a lot over winter season, the eriba has a calming aroma, and just begs for someone to enjoy a cuppa while watching the robin and black birds hoping about .

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Last edited Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:49 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:59 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

We reckon it's worth paying 200E a year to store ours in a garage/box/stall call it what you will, but she has the roof up all winter, with the windows open, so the rubber doesn't stick. We're new to this,, but it's the way she's always been stored and she's lovely and dry. The disadavantage is that she's not at "home" but I love the thought that she's snug and dry all the time. It feels like a cheap price to pay.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 am
by Taffy (deleted)

Gave the Eriba a wash and polish today and opened the windows to get air through and pulled down the flyscreen on windows and there are scatter mould narks on them. As I use the Eriba in the winter and noticed the condensation it has all stemmed from there. Any tips for removal as it is only on the mesh.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:12 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

you could remove the mesh and wash in sink
or shorten the mesh so cant be seen

to remove from wall by slackening the 4 screws
the sides tend to fall off, be aware how the little ramps go on bottom screws
once off and in hand
using flat blades screw driver release pressure cog on mesh roller,
then remove the small screws at opposite end,
the roller should remove, unwind the mesh then slide out of the roller groove
(I forget at this moment, how to do bottom rail but think its a similar arrangement, of nylon cording,
shortened the flyscreen door net after the waist bar shoot through it like Arkwright's till that net )
and take to sink, could use the whiter net by dr someone??
use a nail brush and
mould removers are found here http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

let us know ye method with pictures it all adds to the knowledge base
P

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Last edited Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:20 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:26 am
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

I have used the Dettol Mould remover in a spray bottle (costs about £2.50 in most supermarkets) with great results. I had a white roller blind in the bathroom at our previous house and found mould growing on it. I just unwound it and sprayed the whole blind and left to dry. The mould never came back. As you are doing your fly screens, I would spray some on a cloth and wipe over the mesh. Then rinse cloth and wipe again. Leave open until dry before putting them back up. Just a word of caution, try not to get on the window rubbers as it makes them sticky or just wash off immediately.
Chris

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:27 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0