The dreaded mould - aaaarrrgggh!

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:25 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

I popped the roof up after my previous post and was dismayed to find spots of black mould along the edges of the ceiling, in the pop-top fly screen and in the Velcro strip that attaches it to the roof.

I've cleaned the mould off the roof with Dettol Mould Remover but there are still some light brown stains where it was. We're currently washing the fly screen with a fabric whitener but the Velcro itself is proving difficult to clean. I've tried the Dettol product worked in well with a toothbrush but the mould here is hard to shift.

The van has been stored outside since October under a Protec breathable cover with the windows just open on the catches and the roof down. There was no background heating in the van.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what's the best way to prevent it happening in the future? Also, if you haven't checked your van recently, it might be a good idea to pop your roof and check for mould at the earliest opportunity.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

likes this post!
Last edited Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:55 am | Scroll up

RE: The dreaded mould - aaaarrrgggh!

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:31 pm
by crow (deleted)

I would dry mould up and brush it out dry with a soft brush then kill it with Milton,
it reduces the staining. my Troll has so much fresh air whistling through it I have
to microwave the cat to keep it from getting mouldy.

shrublands likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:21 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I think it's virtually impossible to guarantee no mould. Winter 2011/12 we had some appear and it sounds identical to yours. I've not heard of anyone leaving the top up all winter but that would keep surfaces away from each other and disperse damp.

We had a very bad mould problem in our ensuite. Cleaning with Dettol Mould Remover did little good and even a complete ceiling repaint with anti-mould paint only lasted a few months before it recurred.

Somebody recommended the Lakeland mould remover and I gave it a try before Christmas. It's v powerful stuff, containg bleach but in two applications the mould disappeared and so far hasn't recurred. It's quite an expensive product but you don't use much. I reckon there's enough left for a dozen applications.

However using something so powerful on an Eriba needs thinking about.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:27 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Michele (Michelewatkins) mentioned to us that her Eriba had suffered from mould too and she was using her van as recently as Christmas.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:40 pm
by crow (deleted)

This year the humidity has been so high, even on days it hasn't rained,
that all the air is too damp unless you supply the heat with an electric
radiator or similar dry heat.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:54 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

we removed the canvas and put in washing machine, with 303 cleaner then 303 reproofed last year.
usually vacuum when pop top airing,but accidently left power on while doing something else other day, the heater was switched on, that helped dry the air up top

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:39 pm
by crow (deleted)

As I am close to Glastonbury, I may get a joss stick or two and see what
opening and closing various orifices does to the air circulation by observing
the smoke movement.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:09 pm
by Eribanut | 2.026 Posts

Quote: crow wrote in post #2
I would dry mould up and brush it out dry with a soft brush then kill it with Milton,
it reduces the staining. my Troll has so much fresh air whistling through it I have
to microwave the cat to keep it from getting mouldy.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:47 pm
by Michelewatkins (deleted)

I've borrowed an electric dehumidifier from work and this seems to be helping. Its plugged into a gadget that measures the % in the air and kicks the dehumidifier on if too high.

I was gutted when I found the mould, thought I had a bad buy, so don't take this the wrong way when I say I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I removed it with mould cleaner, but it has stained the roof and crept onto the canvas, waiting for some dry days to scrub and maybe steam clean .

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:04 pm

I doubt a dehumidifier or any other so called means of removing damp will do any good. Caravans leak like sieves and the air inside never remains for long, so you're basically trying to dehumidify the world's atmosphere and that's doomed to failure I suspect.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Well it's working for me! And would rather dehumidifier the world than have mould! Roll on summer!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:18 pm

I doubt that the humidity inside the van is any different to the humidity outside the van.

What you have is a patch of mould because the top has been pulled down onto the canvas and/or net and it's all been in very close proximity in a relatively sealed environment whilst temperatures and humidity fluctuated outside and in, leading to some condensation, which has allowed mould to grow. It's a rare Eriba that doesn't suffer and those are usually the ones kept indoors over the winter.

Attempting to reduce the humidity is futile as the incident has already happened and the damage (which is just visual) is done and may well have been done early on after it was laid up for the winter.

Even applying constant low level heat throughout the colder weather might not guarantee no mould because the area in question can be a cold pocket, sealed from the warmer interior of the van and fed by could drafts coming under the roof edge.

If you want to reduce the possibility of a recurrence next winter I'd suggest keeping the top up so the materials aren't in contact with each other and the roof. However that may raise other issues.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:19 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Quote: Michelewatkins wrote in post #9
I've borrowed an electric dehumidifier from work and this seems to be helping. Its plugged into a gadget that measures the % in the air and kicks the dehumidifier on if too high.
I removed it with mould cleaner, but it has stained the roof and crept onto the canvas, waiting for some dry days to scrub and maybe steam clean .

Because the dehumidifier is working with a moisture detector in a small confined space, I imagine that it will help Michele, as you say.

When you come to scrub and steam clean the fabric be careful about the waterproofing. We don't know much about it (but I daresay we'll have to learn quickly once we remove the Protec cover and lift the roof ) but there is a wealth of knowledge on here as to how to go about it and to reproof the fabric.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:32 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #13
Because the dehumidifier is working with a moisture detector in a small confined space, I imagine that it will help Michele, as you say.
It'll only help if the humidity inside the van is higher than the ambient level.

Once the two are the same - and because the van isn't a sealed box - the dehumidifier will have no effect other than lowering the humidity a tiny weeny bit in New Orleans. Or Calcutta. Or Brazzaville. Or Bogota.

There'll still be water in the dehumidifier's container to empty out, but to all intents and purposes the water is being squeezed from the air outside.

So really, unless you know that it's wetter inside than out, you're wasting electricity. The moisture detector is neither here nor there; it would be if the van was sealed, but because the van is full of holes it's responding to the level of humidity in the surrounding air. Like the whole outside world kind of thing.

Last edited Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:46 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:19 pm

I can even feel the before and after difference in the van. It is an industrial dehumidifier that we use when our communication equipment/system are put in storage. There is no container to empty, the water goes straight down the plug hole. Good enough for servers etc, good enough for my little Eriba!

Thanks Roger, I've been reading all about removing the canvas, cleaning and waterproofing. Just waiting for the weather to change for the better.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 88 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0