RE: Isabella AIR X - Tension, hot news !!!

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:12 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Thanks for that Seadog, very helpful indeed. Thanks for the photo’s too. I really looks like a great big of kit. I currently have the Vango Air Hub hex away, but the Air X tension appears to be made of much better material and does not have to be lifted and the dragged along the a rail. I guess it feels spacious inside ?? Thanks again, Robbie

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:26 pm
by Doreen the troll | 39 Posts

Hi, thanks for the photos, it puts the size of the awning into perspective. It seems to tower over your van!
Looks really impressive, tape measure out tomorrow to see how it fits our Troll.
However a purchase for next year for us unfortunately unless you want to swap for a Walker Touring😀
David

GT runner likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:12 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

We had the Walker touring plus for our 310 GT. Really good awning but a lot of work to put up - even when fully qualified. We have come to the conclusion that the air awnings are the way forward and that the Air X tension does look great and appears to fit and suit the Eribas. Also no heavy awning to heave onto the awning rail.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:39 pm

Hi Seadog,
thanks for all the info, one question, does it have a ground sheet, sewn in or removable? I cannot see that on the Isabella site.
Thanks,
David

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:07 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Also I was wondering what you do for a “door”. Must air awnings have a door on the tunnel, but the Air X Tension does not have this feature. I guess you have to open up the large front or side panels ??

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:37 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: GT runner wrote in post #20
Also I was wondering what you do for a “door”.

.scissors-household-7-inch-william-whiteleys.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

GT runner and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:08 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi Seadog, thanks for all your help with this. Just another question if you can bear it. Did you ever consider getting the Dometic Pop Pro for your Triton ? And if so what tipped your thoughts in favour of the Isabell Air X Tension ? I’m guess the Isabella is an easier set up ? But it would be nice to know. Many thanks again, Robbie

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:29 am
by Seadog | 13 Posts

So, I'll try and answer all the above - apologies if I miss anything:

1. There is no door on the tunnel - when pitched it's really only about 30 or 40 cm away from the van. The advantage of this is the overall size on pitch is smaller - the awning depth being 250 cm plus a short tunnel depth. So, yes, entry is though the front or side panel (the right hand side panel when viewed from outside does not remove, just the front, left hand side and back panel (against the caravan)

2. In part, we chose this one over others as we felt it had some "character" to suit the innate character of the Eriba. Mainly though, we saw it at the Camping and Caravanning show and it just felt right.

3. It does NOT have a sewn in ground sheet and you have to buy your own separately

4. It does feel really spacious inside - I am 6 ft 5 (and just brush my head inside the Eriba!) but the awning is lovely and tall, and lots of room.

It feels really good quality, and looks good set up - we are very happy with it. A small point, bad and good - when it arrived it came with out any clip on window ties / tabs (for holding the rolled-up "blinds" in place). However, a quick call to the supplier (norwichcamping.co.uk) who then called Isabella Uk and by the next morning a pack arrived in the post - so good customer service there (it turns out all 4 supplied by Norfolk camping arrived with the ties missing)

Hope that helps - feel free to ask if anything else

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:05 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Thanks Seadog, Thats all very helpful indeed.

- I am guessing but I would imagine its nicer/easier to set up with not having to lift the whole thing up and then try and drag along the awning rail ?

- Can you part open the front panel neatly to make a door - rather than opening up the entire front ? Is there a tie somewhere to roll it back (partly) ?

- Do Isabella sell a separate ground sheet make to measure for the X Tension - something like a Jolax would be perfect

Many thanks again, Robbie

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm
by Seadog | 13 Posts

Hi Robbie

Setting up is easy the the tunnel slides onto the rail, and the awning then zips onto the tunnel. The tunnel bit is very light and little fabric to handle, so sliding it on is a breeze. You can either inflate the awning then bounce it up to the zip and zip it on, or what I did was lift the zipped edge of the awning up and zip it on before inflating, then after inflating, simply zip the separate 2 side zips up as well. I went for the zip one edge on approach simply because it makes it easier to "encourage" the tubes up into the right shape as it inflates. Incidentally, it has 2 inflation points, but its all one big tube, so you can use either, but it all goes up in one go. Importantly, deflating is really easy too- simply let the air out - wait about a minute, then unzip and fold up.

The front panel can be unzipped from the bottom and part across the top to make a door's width. I don't think there's any way really of tying that bit back though, but it simply hangs out of the way if you open it wide enough. It certainly didn't seem to be an issue for us when we used it the first time a week or so ago.

In terms of groundsheet, I couldn't find an Isabella one made to fit - maybe its simply too new. I did however find one that's 330 x 250 (exactly the footprint of the awning) made by Outdoor Revolution "Breathable Treadlite Carpet" which I got from Winfield's Outdoors for £27. Obviously that will leave the tunnel floor area un covered, but I will just use an older bit of groundsheet to peg under for that area and some flush awning pegs to avoid the trip hazard.

Oh, and it comes with a 2 year guarantee, but if you register with Isabella, they extend it to 3 years.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:50 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Thanks Seadog. Really appreciate all your answers and help.

I think the Air X Tension may have the edge on the purpose made Dometic Pop Air Pro 365 awning.

Did you consider the Dometic or just felt the Isabella felt right at the C&C show and went for it.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:01 pm
by Seadog | 13 Posts

Yes, I had looked at it but was very undecided, but I'm not sure why really and was hanging out for something that felt better. On seeing the Isabella though it was a very definite yes - hence going for it

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:14 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Thanks again Seadog. I think thats how I felt, I like the idea of the Pop pro and that its purpose made, but felt there might be something better that would come along. Then on seeing the Air X Tension I though “is this the one”. I actually think that for all the reasons we have discussed its as good as us Eribafolk will get (although Colin really champions the Vango Siesta). But this has so much more IMHO. Thanks so much for all you information and help. So there will be at least 2 Air X Tension in circulation on Eriba’s now. Best wishes, Robbie

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:11 am

Hi, we have a Vango Siesta for our Troll which is great for short stays, the only problem with it is under even slight wind the roof flexes and “crinkles” and it feels as if you are sitting in a giant crisp packet !
By the looks of the Isabella and the heavier material used it would make for a more relaxed atmosphere ?
I also like the fact it has no groundsheet as most sites now do not allow their use or you are asked to lift them during the day.
Expensive but looks a winner.
Great description of the product thank you.
David

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:52 am
by Seadog | 13 Posts

Hi David, yes just to confirm, its proper canvas so doesn't give the crisp packet effect and it was nice, quiet and comfortable even in a fair breeze when we used it (just the once so far, but off again soon hopefully!)

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 9 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105705 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1