RE: Dash camera

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:33 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #15
Yes Pete, I've been following Techmoan for quite a while. It's a good site and has excellent info.
I've been dithering about getting a dash camera for ages, but if I do I think I'd probably get one of the ones he recommends.

Thing is it's difficult to justify at the moment because I don't do the miles I used to, and I won't do it at all if it means having wires and fag-lighter power supplies dangling all over everywhere. It'd need to be a semi-permanent hard wiring job all tucked away ship shape and stuff.

If I lived in Russia I'd have one in a flash...

Last edited Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:54 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I think I read that he is going to stop reviewing dash cams, maybe he's done enough!
This was one of his recommendations that has been upgraded......ebay #301505937913
It comes with a free hard wire kit.
TP

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:01 pm
by yorkinmadoc (deleted)

Just a quick addition with regards France and dash cameras, our privacy laws allow a person possession of their photographic image, and a photo taken by a camera which includes a person leaves you open to a claim for damages. They may be sold here but that does not mean they meet France's strict privacy laws.

Nothing spoils a holiday like falling foul of the police, and the French police have a zero tolerance policy.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:52 pm
by Clive (deleted)

Hi all
I have had one for few years now and you forget it's running you do not need a monitor.
If you have an accident just pull the card out and play on the laptop or pc.
It's very good when the other person is not admiting responsibility.
regards
Clive

2013 Eriba Triton 430 pushing a Bmw x3 auto
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:25 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I read an article this weekend possibly in the Sunday Times 'Driving' supplement (?) about a lorry driver/cyclist who uses a dash/helmet cam all the time that he is on the road so he can pass examples of dangerous driving to the police as evidence for enforcement action to be taken against the offending drivers.

I can't remember how many cases that it quoted as having resulted in successful prosecution as a result of his filmed evidence but it was a fair number.

While these cameras are most often seen on cyclists' and motor cyclists' helmets for use against motorists, I feel that there is an equally valid argument for car and commercial vehicle drivers to use them for their own protection against malicious and/or fraudulent claims by two-wheeled road users, so many of whom seem to think that The Highway Code and Road Traffic Acts don't apply to them.

In the case of injuries to cyclists, I think that there is a presumption that the motorist is guilty due to their having compulsory third-party insurance while the majority of cyclists are uninsured. Dash cam footage could prove useful protection in such cases.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:52 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

You make a fair point there Aaron but I am a cyclist every day to work, weekend motor cyclist and car driver fully insured fully comp.

But there is one advantage car drivers have over cyclists and that is metal against skin and bone no competition Metal wins every time you do not get a second chance and once you have been hit with a car it is something you don't forget.

I think if all parties where more thought full and considerate to all the road users it would be a far safer place. There would be no need for camera's. But having been on the road with either cycle or vehicle for over fifty years I can certainly say that this has not been my experience.

Morphy

Eriba Puck name P4 year 2000 pushing a Honda Crv 2.2 diesel residing in sunny Lancashire.

and like this post!
Last edited Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:48 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:24 am
by Wordspace (deleted)

Like Morphy, I am - or have been - a cyclist, motor cyclist and car driver. I've also driven urban double-deck buses, National Express coaches, and fire appliances. And in common with a lot of Eribafolk, I'm now of pensionable age and have been driving for almost fifty years, so I also qualify for being a grumpy old man. However, over those years we've watched the development of what I think of as a "me first" society, to the extent that it has become a "me first, and stuff you" attitude. It's everywhere, but it's most apparent on our roads, the place where we interact with the greatest number of strangers in a short space of time.

We all have a right to use the road, never mind whether or not we pay road tax. But along with that right there comes an obligation to cooperate with the others who use the road at the same time as we do. In a "me first" society, though, there's no room for cooperation. So stuff you.

Martyn

Oliver\\\\\\\'s Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/

Pepé Le Pew, Ribski, , and Morphy like this post!
Last edited Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:27 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:38 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Quote: Morphy wrote in post #21

But there is one advantage car drivers have over cyclists and that is metal against skin and bone no competition Metal wins every time you do not get a second chance and once you have been hit with a car it is something you don't forget.Morphy
I agree but if cyclists are aware of the danger, why do so many do stupid things like ignoring traffic signals, riding on busy pavements in pedestrianised areas, riding the wrong way down one-way streets or refusing to pull over on narrow roads to allow motor vehicles to overtake? Another thing I've noticed recently is cyclists causing traffic holdups by riding well out into the carriageway (to avoid drain covers, I know) when there is a designated cycle path provided for their exclusive use alongside the road. Why do so many motorcyclists routinely disregard speed limits and ride as though oblivious to the presence of other road users?

And before anyone says that I'm 'anti-cyclist' or 'anti motorcyclist' I've been a road user (cycle, motorcycle and cars) for getting on for 60 years and always show consideration to other road users. If only it were reciprocated.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Ribski and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:41 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Cyclists are now 'taught' to take up half of the carriageway on roads to prevent motorists etc from overtaking too close to them ! ! ! Absolute "B" stupidity !!!!!
I've cycled many many more miles than most, and was taught to pull right over to allow cars to pass, to go at once into single file when two or more of 'us' hear or see an oncoming vehicle, to STOP at red lights, halt signs etc, never on the pavement and to consider motor vehicles/pedestrians etc. As cyclists we must appreciate our own vulnerability and act appropriately, it is the cyclists responsibility to act in a way to help protect themselves as much as it is the motorists responsibility give due consideration to cyclists. Off my soap - box now, sorry !!! Back to "Eribaing" !

Morphy likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:56 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

And here is my last word on the matter as said already my bikes are in fantastic condition I wear all the safety gear and working lights in the dark. At the moment 4 on the back 3 on the front. I ride correctly according to the highway code and speed limits.

So why have three lunatic car drivers hit me one hit and run, one decided to turn left into a car park directly in front of me. And one a taxi turning right onto a side street said he did not see me. One car was driving so close to me in very windy conditions pondering when to over take he
un-nerved me that much I was wondering what the hell he was doing I almost hit a parked car causing me to fall off.

Another time a pedestrian decided to volt a roundabout barrier straight on top of me.

Cyclist when riding can see a lot more dangers than other road users example small pot holes so have to some times pull further out to avoid them. Most of the crap on the roads ends up to the side of the road and in the cyclists paths again cyclist have to pull out. Other road users do not see these items all of the time. It can be a dangerous place to be.

And car manufacturers could also do there bit and put all exhaust pipes on the off side of there vehicles.

I have never been hit by either another cyclist or motor bike say's it all enough said end of soap box rant!

Morphy

Eriba Puck name P4 year 2000 pushing a Honda Crv 2.2 diesel residing in sunny Lancashire.

Keith and Sue, and like this post!
Last edited Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:25 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:15 pm
by Keith and Sue | 79 Posts

Some interesting observations here!!

Many cyclists have learned the hard way that today's traffic conditions are not condusive to their chosen means of transport, hobby or sport.

We do not teach new cyclists to ride down the middle of the road, but merely to ride in a defensive position away from the kerb. It means that a driver need to "deal" with us as another road user rather than squeeze us into the ditch. If we could be sure that all drivers would allow us the 1 metre of space suggested by the Highway Code, then the defensive riding position would not be necessary.

I am more than willing to move to the left to allow a car to pass where it is safe to do so. Just don't expect me to get off my bike as soon as you approach from behind. This applies especially where you are only using the narrow country lane to save a few seconds on your journey.

Please also be aware that many one-way streets are open to bicycles in the opposite direction. Have a look at the signage before you assume that all systems are the same.

Keith

2012 Troll 540 - Yeti 2.0 tdi
http://trollingwithaudrey.com
Pepé Le Pew, , Morphy and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:28 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I'm surprised by those older one's among us defending the driver! If you really are that old and have been driving for as long as you have, then you should remember "that when passing a cyclist you should allow room for them to fall off" from the highway code some years ago, I'm 61 and I remember it but then I'm not senile!!!

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
Ribski, and Morphy like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:47 pm
by Agger (deleted)

ITV Thursday 21.00 hrs that'll be 9 pm to the uniniciated

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:33 pm
by Goldpanner (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I use one of these. Full HD too. I cut a hole in a TicTac box for the lens to see through, pulled the top off and it slides inside nice. Bit of velcro underneath, bit of velcro on the dash, power via the cigarette lighter. Voila, pretty much secret video camera and the quality is stunning.
Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/808-16V3-LensB...=item27f65880b5

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Last edited Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:41 pm | Scroll up

RE:Dash Camera

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:14 pm
by logburner (deleted)

Does anyone on here own up to using a Dash Cam ?
Been really impressed with the youtube review by Techmoan, on the E Prance 0803 model, and seriously thinking of getting one... ....reviews are a bit hit and miss on most Dash Cams......anyone getting a good use from them.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105761 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0