RE: Dash camera

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:17 am
by Taffy (deleted)

I have one fitted and used the Nexbase 420. However I saw an Eriba that someone had fitted one on the inside rear window of their Eriba and one on windscreen of the tow car, which I think is genius as there are a lot of rear end shunts and that way you can catch the culprits using their phones and not looking ahead.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:25 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Genius? Common sense if you're into these gadgets.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:39 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

I wonder, do you folks leave your dashcams in place all the time?
Much as I'd like to it seems an invitation for some scumbag to break in and nick it.
Fitting and removing suction cup thing every time is just too much hassle, so it only gets used on towing runs. Transcend Drivepro 200.
What I'd like to find is simply claw fitting as per smartphone mounts. I guess it may be possible to use one with the Transcend mounted on a bit of something phone shaped poking out one side....

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:57 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: rambling robin wrote in post #48
I wonder, do you folks leave your dashcams in place all the time?
Much as I'd like to it seems an invitation for some scumbag to break in and nick it.
Fitting and removing suction cup thing every time is just too much hassle, so it only gets used on towing runs. Transcend Drivepro 200.
What I'd like to find is simply claw fitting as per smartphone mounts. I guess it may be possible to use one with the Transcend mounted on a bit of something phone shaped poking out one side....

We leave ours installed all the time, but as far as I'm aware the DrivePro 200 unclips from the suction arm so you can leave the mount stuck on the screen. The 100 certainly does, and the mounts are the same.

Last edited Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:04 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:25 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

October Which magazine just tested. First four were all Nextbase models. Other makes seem to be also rans including some expensive ones.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Superb MK111 Saloon
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:21 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

I've spent hours looking at photos and reviews for dash cams and am now totally confused and exhausted. The choices are endless.
Anyway, done the deed and ordered a cheap one that seems as good as any. I based it on the characteristics of Pete's cameras as he seems to know about these things. I'll let you know how I get on. No, I'm not giving you the make until I've tried it out. I'm feeling too fragile to take criticism

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:27 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

A quick point on Dashcams. We all like to fit a bigger SD card to get bigger and longer videos but do be careful in choosing an SD card.
Dashcams write and overwrite pretty much continuously and this is very onerous for the cheaper SD cards which are not designed to have so many rewrites.
A failing SD card manifests itself in strange ways sometimes causing the owner to think that the Dashcam itself has gone faulty.

I use a Transcend DrivePro 200 which came with a 16Gb Sd card as standard. I "upgraded" to a 32Gb Sandisk and it was OK for about 3 months then I started to get some peculiar faults. To cut a long story short, the Sandisk was worn out and eventually replaced with a more expensive Transcend card. Been OK since.

We all like to save a bit of money but this is one area where you have to have the best.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Williebraveheart and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #51
I've spent hours looking at photos and reviews for dash cams and am now totally confused and exhausted. The choices are endless.
Anyway, done the deed and ordered a cheap one that seems as good as any. I based it on the characteristics of Pete's cameras as he seems to know about these things. I'll let you know how I get on. No, I'm not giving you the make until I've tried it out. I'm feeling too fragile to take criticism

Randa

So, this is what we've bought. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075G9P275/r...9395841_TE_dp_1

Does not come with a micro SD card so an extra 12 quid or so for one of those but still within our budget.

So far, so good. A strong alloy casing and a good window fixing, the lever operated sucker even sticks to the slightly pattered section of the window surrounding the mirror. I've tied the camera fixing to the mirror fixing however, just in case it fails. Don't want the camera falling to the floor, taking out the radio/sat nav screen out on its way.

Seems to have a lot of what the more expensive ones have including a wide screen and picture definition. We've looked at our recordings so far and videos appear fairly clear on the computer screen and number plates are easily read using the pause button.

At the moment I've got it set to one minute increments. What recording times do others use?

What is funny is to listen to the petty bickering and swearing that is being recorded as we travel We've learnt to behave ourselves when the grandkids are in the car so we'll need to get used to the camera recording everything we say now. That's going to be difficult Now where is that silent mode button?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:05 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:25 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

As you tour a lot, Roger, I would recommend reading up on local traffic laws of countries intending to visit. For one, prohibited in Germany due to privacy laws. Oh and by the way, those French stickers are now a requirement in Elsass - certainly Strasbourg.

Last edited Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #53
At the moment I've got it set to one minute increments. What recording times do others use?
Five minutes.

I can't really see any advantage in having the clips so short. If you need to send the footage to anyone you're almost certainly going to need to edit out all the irrelevant stuff anyway.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that if you record in HD (which is the best thing to do in any case because you'll probably need all the definition you can get, especially if it's at night), any file (or part thereof) that you save to send will be waaaay too big to e-mail to an insurance company or the feds. If you upload it to Google Drive or some other cloud-based storage, you can e-mail them a download link instead.

The edited clip I needed to send to Mrs Pete's insurers was something like 120MB, and they were perfectly happy with having a download link to accompany the photographs of the roadside carnage.

And if you don't want to hear yourselves cussing each other out on the recordings, disable the microphone. If it recorded an accident all you'd hear would be terrified screams followed by the screech of tortured rubber and a loud bang.

Doesn't add much to the evidence

Last edited Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:17 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Isn't it time that pesky little insect died ?

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:29 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #53
I've tied the camera fixing to the mirror fixing however, just in case it fails. Don't want the camera falling to the floor, taking out the radio/sat nav screen out on its way.
I forgot to say if you hardwire the camera (i.e. connect it to an ignition-switched live in the fusebox) you won't need to have bits of string stopping it from dropping on the floor.

Hardwiring it involves feeding the power cable up under the edge of the roof lining, along to the A pillar and down to the fusebox. Then if it does come unstuck, the cable will stop it falling. It's not difficult. Basically all you'll need is a longer power cable with the correct plug at the camera end and no fag lighter plug at the other, a fuse tap and half an hour of your time.

It's much neater. And arguably safer.

The mere thought of a wire plugged into the lighter socket and dangling across the dash gives me the heebie-jeebies, never mind a bit of grotty old baler twine holding it all up

Williebraveheart likes this post!
Last edited Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:41 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks for that . Although I'm currently using the cigarette lighter plug-in, I have hidden the cable behind the window trim and have run it down the forward roof pillar before hiding it behind the dash board. Therefore the only wiring totally exposed is the last 200mm or so near the ciggy socket.

I might wire it in at a later date as we normally have a two outlet USB adaptor plugged in. There is a ciggy socket just behind us on the rear of the front armrests however.

I was a bit worried that the plug-in to the camera is at the top although it's a good fit, hence the bit of string.

Randa

Last edited Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:02 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:01 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Many dash cams have dedicated wiring kits available. The NextBase series kits come with all the necessary blade fuse sizes and wiring to connect from fuse box to camera. I found the hardest part was identifying which fuse was only live when the ignition was on. In our galaxy it was the diesel fuel pump circuit.
TonyP

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:10 am

So, a few months on and the dash cam seems to be working well. It hasn't budged and is still sticking to the window like a limpet .

One question. Do other dash cam users look at the recorded footage on their computers regularly, sometimes or not at all?

Randa

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1