RE: Oopsy daisy!

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:12 pm
by RicknEll (deleted)

Great thread thanks everyone for sharing all the cock ups that I have no doubt we will probably repeat when we get our Triton, at least now when I make a mistake I will know I am in good company and this should go some way to lessening the embarrassment of making a prat of myself. So for me this thread was a very positive read and has made me feel better about our future as caravaners, however.......

Ellens response was " oh my God so many things to go wrong" followed by "we must download the monocled man's check list" .

So now while I am much happier about my future caravaning experience Ellen is wondering what the hell has she got herself into.

By the way I love the way during a thread about mistakes made while caravaning, somehow the subject of cats and the correct pronunciation/spelling of words got introduced, along with the word etymology (I had to look it up). This is truly a quality forum.

Aaron Calder and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:36 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Quote: RicknEll wrote in post #31
This is truly a quality forum.
Why thank you, kind sir! We do our best to maintain a high standard but have on occasion been known to disgrace ourselves - sometimes unintentionally.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

likes this post!
Last edited Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:18 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:05 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Quote: A guest wrote in post #21
My Gran used to say these sort of things, I think it is a legacy from our days of Empire,
they tend to be phoenetic versions of French, Spanish, or other foreigner words brought
back by the troops and mis pronounced by the British and then local dialects.
I'm sure you are right, Rod. My Gran used to tell me how, as a child in the days of horse-drawn travelling fairs, she'd had a "brandy snap and toffee apple booth." Not a stall, a booth. When we visited Reykjavik some years ago, I noticed that the Icelandic word for shop was "buðe" pronounced "booth-e" hence Fiskebuðe = fish shop. She also called the runt of the litter the "reckling". All these dialect expressions are disappearing, inevitable I suppose with radio and television broadcasting received pronunciation.

My best guess for "fonbrasant" (or fonbrazzant) is a mixture of 'fond' which I think is an old Yorkshire dialect word for cheeky and brazen meaning 'brass-necked' which together probably meant insolent or excessively cheeky. To date I've been unable to find any reference to the expression though.

One of my favourite imported expressions is 'Napoo' meaning there isn't any more. It came back with the troops from the trenches of the Great War as when they asked in the French estaminets for a drink and it had all gone, the proprietor would say, "Il n'y a plus" or napoo.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:53 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

thought the thread related to a character from' In the night Garden'
for those folk who haven't been blessed with watching, its a young childrens program.

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Last edited Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:21 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:39 am
by Taffy (deleted)

ok, this weekend was my first use of the loo! and working out how to use it, empty fill with some pinks stuff . Luckily was near a caravan supplies and after trying to pour the pink stuff in the little glass vial with it running down the tube into the kitchen roll decided to take pictures of my loo on n iPad and take it to the shop to ask what I put where and how. Very helpful sales took me to a used caravan and showed me what to do, and said it was the first he had heard of someone pouring the pink in the 10mm glass pipe for viewing!

Randa france, shrublands and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:39 pm
by hob (deleted)

That nice Mr Calder's check list stops me from making too many c*ck ups and lives on the back seat of the car on my clip board

That nice Mr Calders check list

Without it there would probably be too many to list here

Recommended................stop in the nearest layby to departure venue (site or home) just to walk round the car and van.................have a good look at the hitch area ..............window catches...............steadies..............try the door ......look up at the poptop and chimney if you have one........look at van and towing vehicle tyres..... 5 min walk round to see all is well.

I heard of a van being towed for a considerable distance with the handbrake on ................needed a whole new wheel assembly at the end of the trip
There is a layby about a mile from home that I stop in every trip and "walk round" the van and car to satisfy myself all is ok ...............after that I feel much better about towing the van and merrily go on my way more confident that all is well.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Ribski and like this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:56 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:07 am
by Skoderiba | 209 Posts

'after trying to pour the pink stuff in the little glass vial with it running down the tube'

I add the 'pink stuff' into a 20ltr container that lives in the gas locker in the front of the van. Easy to fill the flush tank and drain the excess flush water back into when leaving a site.
Also an easy way of adjusting the nose weight if nescessary.

Unhitched at Polstead CCC site, jockey wheel down. check. Breakaway cable undone. check. Hitch undone. check. Drove away from van with electrics still attached. Luckily no damage.

Last edited Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:12 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:01 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Ain't old age a bitch

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:32 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I managed to make the Familia do a wheely when using the motor mover going over the kerb....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:38 pm
by victoriana (deleted)

Oh hopes it's bottom was ok

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:56 am
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

image.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Well I got home from hospital yesterday following my sixth operation afet the accident in 2013. The photo is of my new external fixator, which I have to wear for about 6-8 months! No driving, no eriba, lots of sitting down.

Last edited Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:58 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:24 am
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

OUCH!!!

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:23 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: victoriana wrote in post #40
Oh hopes it's bottom was ok

It's bottom was fine I just caught the front in time, it looked like a baby elephant on its back legs....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:02 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Ohh dear Markereriba, hope you have a speedy recovery, but what a horrid thing to have for so long.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:15 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Hi Mark. That looks bad but hopefully it feels better than it looks and lots of digits crossed for you to make a proper recovery.
Good luck.
TandF

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Visitors
2 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2