Plastic corner thingy by the front light!

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:24 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

The other half was washing the caravan (gotta have it all smart looking for Derek's mini meet!) and on one side at the front, the plastic corner thingy that houses the light has all crazed/cracked under the light/reflector, and there's a small hole (that's going to get bigger). It's not accident damage, its degredation of the plastic. The thickness of the plastic directly under the light is like wafer thin, and I mean wafer thin. Its the same on the other side, which is uncracked but if I pushed with a thumb/finger, it would press straight through I think. We have never noticed this before. We rang AL and they are going to look at it Monday whilst we are down that way but at best its going to be weeks to wait for the parts, which is going to necessitate yet another trip down there to fix it. I love my eriba but the endless faults are getting rather annoying now

I attach a picture12021974_10153189705258697_1587279147_n.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Anyone have this?

2010 VW T5 & 2014 Triton, both in silver.

Last edited Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:27 pm | Scroll up

RE: Plastic corner thingy by the front light!

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:58 pm
by Agger (deleted)

The part is I believe polycarbonate? on our earlier model troll we had sun deg and had them resprayed, Yours is a different moulding and someone else has reported this as a problem? It might be on here or somewhere else

As for parts try a price quote from Jandi I just know it will be cheaper than AL and it's an easy part to replace, albeit you should'nt have to, letter of the concern to Eriba (Hymer) Germany?

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎

I am above no one and no one is below me
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:39 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Just checked mine and to my surprise, I find I do not have this problem! Considering the list of other faults this is a relief.
We can compare notes at the meet.
TonyP

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Last edited Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:33 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:46 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I've just had another thought.

It could be modified? (Again it should'nt have to be but you could end up with something different) it would still need to be taken off, but you could cut out the affected area, both sides would need to be done to look right. You could call them air vents? Again a respray would be necessary, I had all our removable plastics resprayed for under £300. Just thoughts really

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎

I am above no one and no one is below me
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:08 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Could this be damage caused or exacerbated by heat? I mean do you drive with the side lights on a lot?
TonyP

]

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Last edited Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:33 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

I don't doubt that heat is a factor - we hardly ever drive at night, so the lights are rarely on but a plastic thingy housing a lighting unit should be suitable for the purpose, i.e. with lights on some of the time!! Like I say, the plastic is literally wafer thin and no way is it suitable. Simon phoned AL and they agreed to see it Monday and talked about ordering in replacements etc. which I am sure they will, but its the faff of having to return to have them fitted and the worry that they will be exactly the same! 50 year old Eribas are still in use but I cant see the modern ones going the distance in quite the same way.

We'll show you at the weekend Tony and you can see what you think.

2010 VW T5 & 2014 Triton, both in silver.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:16 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Hello Blueyonder (or anyone else),

What was the outcome here? My 2014 310 has exactly the same issue at the moment. A hole has appeared on the right hand side one and, like yours, the plastic is paper thin. Interestingly, the left one seems slightly thicker.

Thanks.

Eriba Familia 310 owner.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:29 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I think you should all get together in Germany and get out some large placards and shame the company. That should be next summer's meet!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 am
by eribaMotters | 5.310 Posts

Th reason why the plastic is so thin is because it has been vacuum formed. This is basically sucking a sheet of plastic over a former. In doing so the plastic is stretched and obviously becomes thinner in some areas.
I suppose this is another area I will now need to keep an eye on. I might try and pre-empt any problem by laminating a thin piece of aluminium onto the underside.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:47 am
by Clippie (deleted)

Hi Phillip

Quote: PhilipM wrote in post #7

What was the outcome here? My 2014 310 has exactly the same issue at the moment. A hole has appeared on the right hand side one and, like yours, the plastic is paper thin. Interestingly, the left one seems slightly thicker.

I complained at the time to AL who supplied our van and they gave us a replacement set of units. I have replaced the left hand one which had the damage and have the right hand one 'in store' in case that one suffers the same problem.

Of course now our van is out of warranty (and I expect yours is to) so it would mean incuring coasts to replace. Needles to say that while taking the unit of is not hard, it does not mean the new ones fit exacly the pre-drilled holes!

Clippie

Gofer for 2014 Triton 420 GT & Landrover Discovery Sport.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:48 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Thanks. I'm getting it serviced at Adventure LV on Monday. I'll see what they have to say and report back.

Eriba Familia 310 owner.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:50 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

Just checked on my 2017 Triton and it is quite solid - so it may just have been a bad batch??

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:27 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.310 Posts

The plastic is thin around the lights on both sides of my 2017 Triton.
My hair is also getting thin but I cannot hold hymer/Eriba responsible for this.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 23, 2022 2:41 pm
by zceadog (deleted)

The thin plastic light moulds on both sides of my 2015 Triton 420 have cracked through being so thin. I have bought two replacements at eye-watering cost. Had to ask for the 'Top hats' but Cameron of Leisure Direct sent them pretty pronto when I asked.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 24, 2022 10:18 am
by Morphy | 966 Posts

I am thinking taking mine of at the end of the season October/November and fibber glassing giving it extra strength before any damage. But of course if I do this that would mean warranty on the item would become void. You just don't know what to do?

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105666 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4