in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:33 pm
by Bryn | 992 Posts

Personally I have never been that close to a lions backside

Scroll up

RE: Gone to the dogs

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:15 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #75

The flag has the thick white stripe closest to the lion's backside, and since the lion is always on the left it'll always be like that no matter which end is fastened. I'd imagine that it's always a two-sided affair as well so that there isn't a back view as such, and that it never reads tiord nom te ueid.

Nope. Can't agree. A flag is always presented left to right and if, as you say, the lion is always to the left then the central roundal of the flag should be printed with the thick white diagonal to the top of the pole and the lion to the left. The flag on the car is the wrong way around and, assuming it's printed through, on both sides, the lion will be on the right in one view yet the Union Flag will be upside down from both views.
The only way around this is to print the flag and roundal in the correct manor and restitch a seperate roundal on the reverse side.
The flag in question is on the kerb side of the vehicle so is always viewed with the Union Flag upside down.

Diplo flag.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) diplom flag.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Untitled-3.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Last edited Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:29 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:37 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #77

Nope. Can't agree.
We seem to have reached something of an impasse.

I would be astonished, given the importance of the Union Flag and its royal arms in the diplomatic context, if it had been done incorrectly.

I just don't buy it.

At all.

It's all very well saying that a flag is always presented left to right - and sure, that's why in 99.9% of photographs of the Union Flag the pole is shown on the left - but on this car the flag is attached at the right when viewed from the nearside (kerb side) and at the left when viewed from the offside (i.e. from across the bonnet).

There's no way it would be printed through. You can't have the lion on the wrong side and the words back to front on the reverse.

It's either two correct flags (with the lion on the left in each, and the bars correctly depicted) sewn together, back to back, or printed correctly (lion on the left and what have you) on each side. That way the flag (and the words thereupon) reads correctly whichever side it's viewed from when the car is in motion.

If the flag was presented left to right, the only way it would work in this particular context (i.e. viewed from the kerb) was if the car was reversing at some speed.

When you're driving a car, a flag attached to it always streams out backwards from its fixing. You have to bend the presentational rules to allow for that.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:53 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Presented left to right only applies if there is no flag pole. Please ignore the coat of arms badge attached and look at the flag. When attached to a pole (as on the car) the wider diagonal white stripe must be above the red diagonal stripe nearest the pole as shown in your link page 3. This is not the case on the ambassadors car, hence it is upside down. This can be corrected by attaching the flag using the opposite edge.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Yes. This flag when streaming out backwards and viewed from the kerb, has the wider white diagonal stripe below the red diagonal stripe so the Union Flag element is upside down.

"There's no way it would be printed through. You can't have the lion on the wrong side and the words back to front on the reverse.."

As you say, if that flag were printed through then the Union Jack portion of it would be incorrect from both sides and the central roundal would only be correct from one side. So only 25% correct. If then the flag is probably not printed through then it's still only 50% correct so there should be no reason at all why they cannot present the Union Flag the CORRECT way around AND have the lion's arse pointing in the right direction like so:-

dipo flag rh.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Executive.psd.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:52 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:56 am

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #80
Yes. This flag when streaming out backwards and viewed from the kerb, has the wider white diagonal stripe below the red diagonal stripe so the Union Flag element is upside down.
Nope. Look at the photo you attached of the moving Jag.

That shows the flag, the right way up, streaming out backwards and viewed from the kerb (the kerb is on the same side as the flag, because they drive on the right in Russia).

The way you've shown it on the photograph that you altered is not how it appears on the original.

Yes, the flag is attached at the 'wrong' end when viewed from that side, but the mast has to be at the leading edge for obvious reasons. Take the car and the mast away and the flag as shown on the original photograph is neither upside down nor the wrong way round:

flag.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

mr_underhill likes this post!
Last edited Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:15 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:13 am

No, you can't have it both ways. The flag when at rest, is the wrong way up :- diplom flag 01.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) so when in flight it cannot turn itself to present correctly.

You're using a blurred image on the Jag to try and argue your point.

Here's a Union Flag viewed with the pole on the right. The thick white diagonal is still above the red diagonal. Union Flag.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

Last edited Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:19 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:17 am

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #82
No, you can't have it both ways.

You're using a blurred image on the Jag to try and argue your point.

Whatever makes you happy, mate.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:47 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

I have to confess that my interest in this topic is flagging.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
addisb likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:24 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

That reminds me of this guy https://www.tuckerlandscapes.co.uk/ . We used Phil and his daughter Wendy for a number of garden projects when we lived in North Yorkshire. Excellent standard of work. On every project, without fail, he'd look up from laying paving, sigh, and say to Wendy 'Wendy love, I'm flagging'.

'I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon
but to settle down and write you a line.'

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini being dragged by nothing at all
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:48 pm
by Bryn | 992 Posts

and if things dont change they stop as they are

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:30 pm
by granddadgrape | 1.558 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #84
I have to confess that my interest in this topic is flagging.

Have to agree, it's driving me up the pole as my mother would say.

Alan

Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 26, 2018 9:38 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Richard Branson.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Sat May 26, 2018 10:06 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 26, 2018 10:37 am
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #88
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind
Armstrong later clarified that he had actually said, 'That's one small step for 'a' man , one giant leap for mankind' - which makes more sense, contextually.

Although, I think Branson would probably say something along the lines of, 'That's one small step for me, and one giant leap for me'.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 26, 2018 11:08 am

Quote: JohnE wrote in post #89
Armstrong later clarified that he had actually said, 'That's one small step for 'a' man , one giant leap for mankind' - which makes more sense, contextually.

I like Louis Armstrong. I like this particularly.

Rather poignantly, he didn't have all the time in the world because he wasn't very well when he recorded that, and he knew it.

And say what you like about Mr Branson, he does make a good pickle.

Steve and Debbie and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

Page 6 of 8 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next Page »

Visitors
4 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105666 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4