RE: On board water tank

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #14
We're firmly in Uncle Tony's camp here. Not much fun.
I didn't realise he's got his own campsite. I thought he was quite a jolly chap.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:24 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Our Feeling had a 45 litre on-board tank (well, I assume it still has, but we sold the van).
We were at the CC Hawes site (Yorkshire Dales, lovely spot) and while I was traipsing backwards and forward with a couple of containers to fill the tank a fellow caravanner commented, 'thee must 'ave a leak, or summat', to which I replied, 'no, it's Friday - the wife's bath night'.

Magpie, , and sibillini like this post!
Last edited Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:19 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:17 pm
by inishcara (deleted)

It still has it's on-board tank!

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:21 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #10
Quote: rambling robin wrote in post #9
and you get the added bonus of water dripping out of the pump while you're off filling it.

Do the taps/pumps have seals to prevent this sort of thing from happening? With our previous Triton we had a 30L cold water tank under one of the front seats so we have still to experience the joys of filling up two smaller tanks ( bathroom + kitchen) with the new Troll.
Upon delivery both of these smaller tanks were half filled for testing/demonstration purposed by the dealer which I obviously needed to empty before the van was placed into winter hibernation. I concur with the awkwardness of removing these tanks especially the one under the kitchen sink but opening the tap and allowing residual water to drain out resulted in no drips whatsoever after giving it a minute or two.

The body of the pump - and the pipes to it do have water in them and when removed from the under-sink tank they do drip. Having said that the 410 is just a big Puck with a 12 litre tank under the sink and a whale pump - it may be more hi-tech on the bigger systems. Switching off the power and opening the tap does allow it to drain, but the pump body is still wet and drippy - it's no big deal. The plan is to only take the tank out to clean before a trip - otherwise it's fill with a flexible hose and use on site facilities whenever possible - especially hot water!!!!

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:08 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #11
I never remove the container from under our sink. I simply unscrew the blue filler and pour water in from the flexible extended spout of a watering can without removing the pump and its connections.

I do this too, no need to fill the tank all the way up the pump sits in the bottom so about a 1\3 full will do.

then when you go to the toilet block or site office take one of these with you.

P1030641.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

It holds about 4 litres ..... which is about a quarter of an under sink container and weighs a tad over 4 Kg so not too heavy to carry.

As said if the aim is to keep 1\4 to 1\2 full tanks it works and if you travel with them empty (advisable) then you will not be wanting to fetch 40 litres to the van while setting up putting up an awning \ sunshade etc

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:25 pm
by scouteralf | 114 Posts

my 555 troll has two in board tanks under the short seat in the dinette area. i fill both and can pump from aux tank into main tank if running low during night time, the aux tank has a level sensor visual inside van and a small switch for the pump close by.
Both are easy to fill and empty.

troll 555 GT pushing Kia Ceed Estate
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:44 pm
by pianosteve (deleted)

I must say I do love the ingrained view that owners don't/can't shower inan Eriba...
2016 Troll 540 GT and wife showered in it in France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and Croatia - 30 showers
2017: 14 days in Devon (so far) and 14 more in-Eriba showers.
I guess it's a bit like economy airline seats - Ok-ish for slimsters but not so good for the more amply upholstered!
That said...I never do. Too amply upholstered I guess!

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:22 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Unlike modern caravans with properly built-in shower cubicles, Eriba washrooms are not sealed and I personally wouldn't dream of splashing water about in ours even if I were small and sylph-like.

As we only ever stay at sites with full facilities, not having a useable shower in the caravan is of no consequence. If we wanted to use CLs we'd buy something more suitable equipped with all mod cons.

As ever though, there are no rights and wrongs and everyone is free to suit themselves.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Pepé Le Pew, , Williebraveheart and like this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:25 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:58 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

You are right sir.
However Hymer don't seem to agree as they put shower curtains in all the washrooms.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:25 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:07 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.315 Posts

Mr Frantone
I believe the shower curtain is at present part of the GT pack, along with washroom tap on a hose.
I went "peasant spec in white" adding the bits I wanted. This way I managed to avoid curtain and tap on hose combo.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:24 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Shower Curtain??? eeeeuuuuuwwwwwwww!!!!!!!! - attack of the chilly klingons.

Haven't ANY of you read any of the POW stories from WW2?

The answer is a KLIM tin with a few holes punched in the bottom hanging on a pole (small p) while fellow prisoner tips water into the top - Cold of course. Could just skip the tin I guess.............

I reckon that if you put a few pints of water in a can and leave it in the sun for 10 days it should get warm enough to allow a pleasant outdoor shower with a 12v whale pump up to a small shower head. - job done.

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:15 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Someone suggested that if you want a quick rinse after the beach, then stick the shower head out through the window! You certainly couldn't have a shower in ours, however tiny you were. You'd ruin the wood.
Also, what a hassle transporting all the water for showers to and fro.....

Aaron Calder, and like this post!
Last edited Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:17 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:48 am
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

Myself and Mrs Poptop are not very big so having a shower in an emergency is not an impossibility, however as we have the small 12 litre tank then the showering will not be a relaxing 10 minute affair like at home. It will be more of a wash down, If you are ex military you will be aware of the ship/Combat shower procedure, get wet turn off the water, lather up, rinse off...

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:54 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:11 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #23
Unlike modern caravans with properly built-in shower cubicles, Eriba washrooms are not sealed and I personally wouldn't dream of splashing water about in ours even if I were small and sylph-like.

As ever though, there are no rights and wrongs and everyone is free to suit themselves.

I have to side with you on this one as damp, which often gets hidden, runs the risk of that horrible fungus stuff appearing when least expected. As you say though, everyone is free to suit themselves.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:45 pm
by BerylFfrangcon (deleted)

Where in Wales? Dafydd comes from Porthmadog and I come from Nefyn.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105700 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2