On board water tank

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:58 pm
by Freedom (deleted)

We have an on board water tank in our 530, in the past we have had some water in the tank just in case when we stopped we wanted to wash our hands and also to add weight to the front of our Troll. Recently when we had our Troll serviced AL suggested best not to have any water in the tank as the movement when on the road could move the whole tank out of position (only plastic buckets that hold the water tank in position). Just wondered if anyone else always makes sure the on board water tank is empty before leaving a campsite?

Harvey

Scroll up

RE: On board water tank

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:29 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.300 Posts

I have always emptied the tank, as you have found out from AL it can slosh around. On my last van I did however leave the hot water heater full/primed as the contents could not move and the unit was very well held in position.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:38 pm
by Freedom (deleted)

Thanks Colin, best to keep it empty then when towing. It was useful when checking the nose weight if light I added water into the tank!

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:25 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I keep some bottles of water for hand washing and loo flushing on the road. One's pink and one's clear!

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:41 am
by Agger (deleted)

I think the best onboard water containers are those that can be taken out and wheeled to get water, continental vans have had them as an option for many years. A bit like a flat aqua roll but mounted inboard, usually on a tray (for spillages) and a heavy duty retaining strap

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎

I am above no one and no one is below me
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:53 am
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I question the point of an inboard water tank. I removed mine and extended the pump hose to fit through the floor into a standard aquaroll. Far easier to keep topped up and gives some valuable extra storage space. When not on site the hole is plugged. When I say I did this I should own up and say I got Sandy at Jandi to do this. When I did have the inboard tank it was irritating to empty it for travelling. Keeping seperate containers of water does not solve the sloshing about unless they are kept in the car.

Pepé Le Pew, Magpie and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:37 pm

One of the things I like about a forum is how we have different views.
I would not be without my onboard tank. Water is cool in summer and if you are brave enough to camp in cold weather you have no chance of a freeze. It is also easy to fill. When I empty my waste bucket I put a watering can of water into the tank.
I don't miss the loss of storage space as I have more than I can realistically use, and I don't need to worry about storing a big dirty aquaroll in my nice clean van.

Each to there own - Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430
, Eribanut and atkinbrown like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:20 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

I have my water container under the sink, it is only cold but here is Wales we are made of strong stuff. It gives sufficient for a few a couple of days and I just carry it to refill or use a watering can to top up if needed.

and Aaron Calder like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:34 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

To me the worst bit is trying to get the tank out as the contortions to the pump and pipes/wiring just cannot be doing it any good - and you get the added bonus of water dripping out of the pump while you're off filling it.
It seems to me they missed a trick with the design as a screw top filler nozzle on the front top corner would have solved that. OTOH by taking it out regularly you do get to give it a good sloshing out to help keep it clean and fresh....

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:10 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: rambling robin wrote in post #9
and you get the added bonus of water dripping out of the pump while you're off filling it.

Do the taps/pumps have seals to prevent this sort of thing from happening? With our previous Triton we had a 30L cold water tank under one of the front seats so we have still to experience the joys of filling up two smaller tanks ( bathroom + kitchen) with the new Troll.
Upon delivery both of these smaller tanks were half filled for testing/demonstration purposed by the dealer which I obviously needed to empty before the van was placed into winter hibernation. I concur with the awkwardness of removing these tanks especially the one under the kitchen sink but opening the tap and allowing residual water to drain out resulted in no drips whatsoever after giving it a minute or two.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

I never remove the container from under our sink. I simply unscrew the blue filler and pour water in from the flexible extended spout of a watering can without removing the pump and its connections.

I still don't understand why people without a proper shower on board require so much water when on sites with all amenities.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

and cruickie like this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:24 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:07 am
by Frantone (deleted)

We get through a 40 litre aquaroll of water over our usual long weekends. It provides enough for hot water for personal washing and dish washing, food prep and drinking water for hot drinks. It sits outside so we have more cupboard space without the water bottles.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Pepé Le Pew likes this post!

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:39 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

I can understand the need on a CL, Tony, but when you are paying for showers, wash basins and washing-up areas all with hot water why not use them?

Our 16 litre onboard tank usually suffices for three day's worth of food preparation, hot drinks and tooth brushing.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

likes this post!

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:46 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #13
...but when you are paying for showers, wash basins and washing-up areas all with hot water why not use them?
We're firmly in Uncle Tony's camp here.

We're also paying for the electricity to heat up our water, and we'd rather wash dishes in the van than cart a bowlful of dirty crockey across a site, especially if it's chucking it down.

Not much fun.

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:52 am

I must also confess to washing up in the van, making the most of on-board 30/40L tank and water heater.
We do however use camp facilities if things have got really messy, eg the Cadac.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12516 topics and 105599 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3