RE: So many blue dots

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:07 pm
by Jez (deleted)

We are just getting ready for our first outing in our new to us 2009 Triton. It only has cold water and we will be using it off of EHU quite often.
We know through previous experience that we can still be self sufficient, we can boil a kettle for washing up and we put up a toilet tent and have showers using warm water from solar shower bags which can again be added to with kettle water if needed. We use a rechargeable shower with submersible pump, available on Amazon or eBay and just transfer the heated water into a bucket and dunk the pump into it. It works a treat.

2009 Triton 430 GT pushing a Honda CRV 2.2 ictdi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:23 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

As said we're all different in the way we use vans.

The only one that's just wrong is Roger, he should really be towing a greenhouse on wheels.

The only time we've used pitches without EHU was when we had a campervan and pitched on site at dog shows. Even then we started looking for nearby proper sites after 6 months of muddy fields and insanitary facilities.

Since then it's been sites of all sorts and sizes but always with hook up and if you have a hook up, why not use it to heat water? We had an 18 month spell of only ever pitching at Old Oaks, Glastonbury and still miss it. And for the past two years the van has been stored at Wheathill Touring Park, on the side of Titterstone Clee, above Ludlow. All pitches full service. Plumbed in fresh and grey water, no Aquaroll or Wastemaster trundling and empty your toilet cassette into your pitch drain. £25 a night and £5 each time they towed the van from the compound.

It's going to be hard going back to touring.

'I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon
but to settle down and write you a line.'

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini being dragged by nothing at all
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

We use a super kettle, it keeps 3 litres of water at a constant boil and it's enough for brews and a wash....

We have had it now for 3 years using it in the house as well as in the Eriba.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:38 am
by granddadgrape | 1.556 Posts

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #18
We use a super kettle, it keeps 3 litres of water at a constant boil and it's enough for brews and a wash....

What is a super kettle? I've never heard of them.

Alan

Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:44 am
by swa49 (deleted)

Back to the scoring table idea on page one of this thread. For me, the smaller the Eriba, the higher/better the score, so a Puck (rather than a Troll) would be the ultimate Eriba, given the ethos of an Eriba vs a generic caravan. Of course, there are reasons why a Puck or Familia may not suit many people. Sky TV would definitely lower the score IMO, but dual fuel hot water, leisure battery, solar panel, basic washroom etc. are features/accessories which would allow you to be self-sufficient in the most basic campsites, which are often the most interesting, beautiful and remote. They would therefore increase the score for me.

I understand that Eribas are referred to as 'tin tents' in some parts of Europe, because they are considered the next step up from being in a tent, and this exactly why we bought ours (fixed double bed and duvet vs blow-up bed and sleeping bags was an easy decision to make). Having said that, I still feel that our Triton is a tad too big, given what I had envisaged, but we couldn't get a Familia with a fixed bed and a washroom. For me, an Eriba is a good alternative to a campervan (VW Cali size), where a full blown motorhome is an alternative to a big white caravan. This is my opinion and I know it will differ from others.

Triton 430GT + Golf mk7 2.0TDi DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:07 am

You can, of course, argue a scoring system either way. I opted for increasing the score for additional utility, so extra space and extra facilities means higher points. If you're a real hair shirt enthusiast then a Puck on 1 would suit, whereas if you wanted more space and more facilities you'd be up in the 9/10 bracket. Whilst on your own personal score a basic Puck might score 11, if the system was adopted people would know just how basic, or otherwise, their Eriba was likely to be.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:32 am
by Randa france | 12.866 Posts

Zitat
Quote SDA:- The only one that's just wrong is Roger, he should really be towing a greenhouse on wheels

Done that and on one occassion towed it on the 1st floor of Earls Court Exhibition Centre.

Can't find a photo of it being towed but this is one of it being built (my old Ex-Army Landrover is just behind it. Gosh, I was just a boy then )

1986 118.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:33 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:05 am

Ahh! The ideal Home Exhibition, I manned a stand there regularly throughout the '80's. Doughnuts and mariachi bands. Some odd chap even gave me an origami elephant.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:27 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.455 Posts

Why am I not surprised that Roger actually DID tow a greenhouse on wheels?

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:57 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #21
if the system was adopted people would know just how basic, or otherwise, their Eriba was likely to be.
Or, if they really wanted a shower with hot and cold water, a washroom they could actually get into, an oven, a large fridge, permanently made up beds, lots of storage space, microwave, television and a comfortable lounge area, they could always buy a great big wobbly white box.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
granddadgrape likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:15 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.455 Posts

If they bought a big white wobbly box they wouldn't be the discerning sort of people you find in Eribas and on this Forum, they'd be caravanners

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:02 pm

OK, you can't do an oven or large fridge in a Touring but you can do hot water and a shower (of sorts), and if you stop eating pies you can get in the washroom. Fixed beds are available and there's plenty of storage as standard plus the lounge areas are just as big on an Eriba, sometimes bigger and certainly as comfortable as most WWB's. Microwave, if you feel the need can be freestanding. TV, we've never bothered with one in the van and doubt we ever will but there's no difference in using one in an Eriba.

So the 'benefits' a WWB provides are an oven, a fitted microwave, a larger washroom and possibly a seperate shower, plus a larger capacity fridge, but it won't look as good, it'll leak and bits will fall off, crack, split and break. All this comes in something that averages a foot wider and 4ft longer, whilst weighing about a third more.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:03 pm
by swa49 (deleted)

They would be vilified by Jeremy Clarkson and by every motorist that found themselves stuck behind their 8m long twin axle, swaying from side to side on the A303. Jokes aside, most people have a pet name for their Eriba, so they must be special. A Swift Conqueror would be known simply as 'the caravan'.

Back to the point of this thread, we're very happy to have the red and blue taps and the dual fuel boiler under the front seat. However, we could easily manage without hot water to the taps, even on a basic campsite. Our shower curtain is coming out before the Easter trip, because having a shower in an Eriba washroom is one of the most ludicrous things I can imagine!!

Triton 430GT + Golf mk7 2.0TDi DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:21 pm

Never having had the pleasure of attempting to shower in a post 2013 washroom I'm wondering if it has improved matters compared to earlier models.

The current washroom got rid of the basin cupboard where your right (or on some models left) knee would prefer to go when sat down, so it's an improvement in that respect. Removing that intrusion should have meant more showering room but I wonder if it actually improved matters?

My memory's hazy about whether the extra 4ins of width on all Troll's post '09 actually gave them more washroom depth or whether it just resulted in the kitchen aisle being wider and the washroom was the same size. Of course that change wouldn't have made any difference to non-Trolls.

One improvement on post '09 vans was the raising of the fixed roof height which meant the roof edge no longer rests on one's shoulder when standing at the toilet. Again, that should increase the overall volume of the washroom, giving a feeling of marginally more space, though, again, it would be interesting to know whether it makes a practical difference.

Last edited Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:36 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

Quote: granddadgrape wrote in post #19
Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #18

What is a super kettle? I've never heard of them.Alan

Hi Alan it's an instant hot water dispenser, it gets the water tank up to boiling point then just ticks away at a low ampage keeping it up to temperature. The one below in the thread is not the same as mine but its the same principle..
You can get 5L versions, however you have to be careful with the distance between the kitchen workshop and the overhead cabinet can be limiting.
A top tip if you get one, when making tea, throw away an egg cup of water as this will be tepid in the external pipe, the rest will be hot enough for a good cup of tea..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017WIFFQ6/r...ding=UTF8&psc=1

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:48 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105610 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5