Insurance cover

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:21 pm
by Bryn | 992 Posts

We have moved to the UK and brought our Eriba with us, it is French registered but will soon be exported so no longer with it's own Carte Gris or Registration Number
Based on owners experience, any insurer recommendations would be welcome, thanks

Scroll up

RE: Insurance cover

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:10 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.301 Posts

Caravan & Motorhome Club probably the best that you can get, but you need a mortgage to pay for it.
We’ve settled for second best with Lifesure.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Bryn likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:14 pm
by Bryn | 992 Posts

What's a mortgage ?????????

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:57 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Bryn wrote in post #1
We have moved to the UK and brought our Eriba with us, it is French registered but will soon be exported so no longer with it's own Carte Gris or Registration Number
Based on owners experience, any insurer recommendations would be welcome, thanks

Take a look at Adrian Flux we just gone with them as they insure our Morris Minor. Were £40 cheaper than Towergate who we were with and better cover.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Bryn likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:44 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #4
Take a look at Adrian Flux we just gone with them as they insure our Morris Minor. Were £40 cheaper than Towergate who we were with and better cover.

2018 Troll GT540: just had my Towergate renewal quote this morning, up from £349 to £403 with an extra years no claims bonus. So, tried C&CC £556!!!

These numpties are 'aving a larf… eventually settled with Adrian Flux at £340

Markeriba likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:18 pm
by Threeberries3 (deleted)

Hi, Ive posted this before but I'm amazed at the cost I'm seeing reported for insurance. I have a 2016 542GT and my cover has remained the same for 2 years for new for old cover and the premium is £187 per annum which I think is great. Ok I haven't had to claim yet so only time will tell how good the cover is but the cost is very reasonable. I use a broker, Peacock Insurance Ltd (www.peacockinsurance.co.uk, tel 02476 427 600

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:29 am
by Randa france | 12.866 Posts

A few months ago we switched ours to Cover4Caravans thanks to the tip given by Mr Calder.

a) The big problem is that more and more insurance companies are expecting you to have the Eriba serviced by professionals every year and will expect proof of that in the event of a claim.

b) Require the van to be CRiS registered.

Therefore you must check with your insurer before you make a deal.

I know because I fell foul of both the above with Saga and also had a near miss with Cover4Caravans who had to alter my insurance to a different underwriter.

A point about CRiS. Although I've Emailed them twice and spoken to them twice, they appear to be unconcerned with giving me a written reply to my question of the £65 charge for foreign made vans. You would think that with the prospect of hundreds of Eriba owners enlisting with them they would take the trouble to give us an explanation.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:33 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:20 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

The £65 breaks down to £19.99 to carry pre-checks such as confirming the identity, ensuring that is hasn't been stolen etc. which is probably a bit more of an effort with an imported caravan, then £45 for the registration which includes the paperwork and the RFID chip and security labels. They don't charge the £45 if the first checks fail. A pre-1992 UK van would cost £15 to register plus the option of the RFID chip /security labels etc. for an additional £35, so it is only actually £15 more for an imported van for the same security package.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

Randa france and Poptop320 like this post!
Last edited Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:15 pm

I've recieved a reply from the CRiS Business Support Manager. He did reply a couple of weeks ago but the Email didn't get through for some reason.

This is what he says:-

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, the Eriba caravans will currently remain classed as an import caravan.

The reason for this is because many of the manufactures around Europe do not register their caravans with the NCC or with CRiS, this means they are not manufactured with a VIN that follows the UK format and do not include a number of security features that we supply NCC Registered manufacturers.

Because of this, the import and Pre 92 process does incur a seemingly larger cost which is split into two amounts the first is £19.99 this is to perform a provenance check with a number of European law enforcement agencies such as Interpol and Europol, this is to make sure the caravans are not flagged as stolen or involved in any crimes or accidents in and around Europe.

The second part of the £64.99 charge is for the VIN to be created on the database and for a registration document to be provided, it also includes the Vin Chip Upgrade kit which marks the VIN on all of the windows which is a requirement for all caravans that are registered in the UK.

To put the cost into perspective if you were to perform these checks on a UK manufactured caravan you would have to pay £14.95 for a CRiS check, £15.00 for the registration, and £34.99 for the Vin Chip Upgrade kit totalling £64.95 providing a saving of only 4p.

Hopefully this answers your question sufficiently, if you have any other questions or queries please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Kind Regards"

I've thanked him for his reply but have pointed out to him that newer Eribas at least, now seem to conform to the 17 digit UK VIN formate, as per the post #21 JefL prepared Beware Insurance Cover4Caravans (2) .

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:05 pm
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

I’ve just had a quote from Adrian Flux for £550, so I’m somewhat confused now!
Our vans are both 2018 Troll 540’s. We are probably 30 mins apart from each other geographically. The only discernable difference is that yours is in a CASSOA Gold storage facility.
Surely the CASSOA rating can’t make that much difference?

Any thoughts on any other insurers would be much appreciated.

Cheers Mark

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:09 pm

Try Lifesure.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:10 pm
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

Just tried them, but they cannot do an on-line quote for Eribas at the moment. The chap I spoke to didn’t understand why not as ‘Eriba’ is in their drop down list of approved makes, and he was aware of the make and that they normally insure them.
Computer says NO!

Edit,
They have just phoned me, to advise that the reason the quote couldn’t be processed on-line was because I had ticked boxes indicating the van doesn’t have a tracker system or factory fitted alarm. I’ll keep looking.

Cheers Mark

Last edited Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:19 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Zitat
Quote MarkEriba:- They have just phoned me to advise that the reason the quote couldn’t be processed on-line was because I had ticked boxes indicating the van doesn’t have a tracker system or factory fitted alarm. I’ll keep looking.

Insurance in the UK is getting ridiculous now. It's supposed to be a risk business. With a factory fitted alarm, a tracking device, CRiS Registration, annual servicing for roadworthiness, third party insurance when towed behind the car, a sturdy wheel lock, an even sturdier tow hitch lock, a ground anchor, a triple locked garage attached to the house, a 10 foot walled garden with electric gates, a Police Station next door, perhaps you might get a decent quote.

Randa

Last edited Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:42 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:58 pm

I can't recall if it was an Eriba owner refused insurance a while back, but the circumstances were even more ridiculous.
The owner was a member of one of the Forces. The van was kept at his workplace, manned high security entrance gate, barbed wire surround, floodlit, 24hr armed guards etc.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:09 pm
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

All sorted now!
C&CC quoted £374
Saga quoted £243

I won’t go into the specific details of the cover, but basically new for old on a 2018 van. Blood pressure was probably higher than it should have been this afternoon!

Cheers Mark

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 45 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105610 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6