RE: Tesla Model 3 Towing a Classic Troll

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:45 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Making an extension from your home circuit to the remote location to power lights etc shouldnt be too difficult a job for someone: the expense would come if you need EV capability since that means high power and bigger cables/protection and maybe even a supply upgrade all of which is expensive

Of course, if you justified the investment for the EV capability at that location then extended the system to power lights etc that would be a relatively small additional cost

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:52 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #15
I would not worry about having to run any electrics at cost to yourself Andy. The utilities companies are going to have to dig up most of the UK in the near future to every property as we will all need to treble the capacity of our electrical requirements. It is not just cars needing power but hot water and heating with the forthcoming demise of gas boilers for heating and water, along with I'm guessing the loss of gas for cooking.
And if we are all dead by then how will they power the crems' or will we all be composted when we pop our clogs?

Colin

You may well be right, but guess who's going to pay for all this? It wont be the utility companies I can assure you:)

It'd be my prediction that hydrogen will replace natural gas and that wind, solar and nuclear will be used to produce that hydrogen. Battery vehicles needing EV charging will be most likely used for low mileage journeys / town commuting whereas hydrogen cells will be used for heavy transport and long distance journeys (inc caravanning)

So, for the time being, I'm going to give EV's a miss (in the same way one did with Betamax vs VHS )

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:01 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:22 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #11
just ignore the 2030 deadline and in 2028 pick up the best diesel or petrol tower still available
MikeT

You may have to plan further ahead. I notice diesels already pulled from fiesta sized cars. Volvo has now stopped selling diesels in the UK.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:16 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

I guess the annoying thing in all this is that the government haven't really published a plan for how individuals get to what they're insisting will be the future. They may be sorting out generatio/supply issues and bunging money at commercial operators but I've not heard anything about how such things can be dealt with at the masses of non standard homes across the country and the masses of terraced properties. The house we moved from last August could easily handle electrical upgrades and car charging points etc but our current place will be awkward and costly to sort out.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:36 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.465 Posts

I don’t think they have a plan. They’re tinkering at the edges, they try to look green by insisting that vehicle manufacturers, utility companies and large manufacturers update their systems but as you so rightly say there is no talk at all about how the average UK home is going to be upgraded. The masses of terraced streets and there are many will be a logistical nightmare if not an outright impossibility. So will hundreds of thousands of people be relegated to public transport?

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Steve and Debbie and eribaMotters like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:12 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Gazing into my crystal ball I see:

* an increase in small EVs that require only standard domestic supplies to keep them topped up, including:
- e-bikes
- e-scooters
- small EVs (like Sinclair C5s, only a bit bigger, maybe like the old Messerschmidt and other bubble cars :) )
* small cars run solely on battery for short journeys into town/local commuting
* medium cars with hybrid battery / hydrogen cell for longer journeys - hydrogen will be the new petrol since its chemical conversion ratio is massive compared to that of a battery, it can be pumped into vehicles like petrol and it can be purchased at multiple sites, just like petrol
* larger cars and lorries for intercity journeys run only on a hydrogen cell
* the reintroduction of trolley trams in city centres
* electricity consumption being charged on a combination of vehicle type, rate of power consumption and time of day - thats what your smart meters are for folks
* vehicles that have been charged but are still connected to the system being used as battery backups for peak demand users
* disconnection of various EVs depending on system load status (again via your smart meter)

So, boilers will be converted to hydrogen from natural gas for hot water heating and town houses will use either e-bikes/scooters, electric trams or the small domestically charged EVs or hydrgen cell/battery hybrids. I do not see high power infrstructure being installed for high power battery vehicles and if anyone wants one it'll cost them a fortune

Last edited Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:13 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:18 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

They can dry freeze you now Colin and then shake you to bits when we curl our toes up..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:13 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #18
Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #11
just ignore the 2030 deadline and in 2028 pick up the best diesel or petrol tower still availa

You may have to plan further ahead. I notice diesels already pulled from fiesta sized cars. Volvo has now stopped selling diesels in the UK.
Steve

I predict that diesels will become very sought after in the next few years as demand outstrips supply.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:42 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

yep, I agree with that

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:11 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

You won’t get (or need) a 3 phase domestic supply. A 3 pin plug wil allow charging at about 3 Kw, but a new spur from your regular fusebox to a type 2 dedicated charge point would allow overnight charging of most EVs. The charge point is usually covered by a £500 government grant, but would pick up the cost of that extra cable, digging a trench etc. A trench would depend on any agreements you have with your property. You may find that you would club together to create the conduit, and run your own cables from each property’s fuse box.
However you go, it may just be cheaper to charge up at a nearby (hopefully) public charger. .

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:20 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

I suspect hydrogen will be a bit like Betamax _ better but VHS stole a march on it. The services at Rugby off the m6 j1 has the first 350 kw chargers for general use (not Tesla) _ these will be rolling out across the country fairly quickly now.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:29 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

I'm rather sceptical about massive power infrastructure being built to accommodate domestic EV charging.

Most homes are built with 100A supplies, with them being one of the three phases coming off the main supply running down the middle of the road.

A 22kW fast charger nominally draws 88A so you can forget these ever being fitted en masse to the public - the domestic electricity cables couldnt take the load and the generation system wouldnt handle the load imbalances on each phase to say nothing about the electrical distribution system which has been pared back to the bone since it was privatised in order to keep costs down.

Joe public will get, if they're lucky, 3kW chargers which will mean you need to charge your batteries all night long. If you commute to work you may be able to connect your vehicle to the public car park charging system or your employers charging system, but guess what - it wont be cheap. Even if you do get a charger fitted it will be controlled by the electricity company who will charge varying tarriff based on the amount of power needed and time of day (indeed they may disconnect it if the system becomes unstable or overloaded)

A 350kW motorway charger will allow charging on the go for longer journeys, but the long journey will become even longer and guess what, they'll charge motorway service charges - it wont be cheap.

My inclinination is still hydrogen .... Betamax had first mover advantage too but it still lost out to VHS :)

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:21 pm

I just can't see how there would ever be enough public charging points for the sort of size car fleet that the UK currently runs. There's the issue of supply of electricity at appropriate rates, but just getting places that are easily accessible, secure and with enough acreage for sufficient charging bollards just hasn't been thought through.

Last edited Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:22 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:30 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

I agree, thats why I'm inclined towards hydrogen.

The energy is pumped into cars as a liquid just like petrol and LPG is today and that infrastructure is already in place

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:44 am

My cynical mind says that the lack of mass charging capability is why cycling is being pushed so hard, but the UK weather and the long distances people commute or indeed travel around to do their jobs can't really be met by bikes. Sure, if you work in the next street that'll be fine but a 50 mile trip with no relevant rail option, which is fairly common, has no alternative but a car.

It seems so obvious, so why isn't hydrogen streaking off into the distance on this and why are car makers seemingly fixated on electric? If hydrogen leaves it much longer the infrastructure will have been pulled up and gone.

Last edited Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:45 am | Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12542 topics and 105789 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5