RE: Tesla Model 3 Towing a Classic Troll

in We've got it down to a T Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:59 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

Not sure even Father Christmas's pockets are deep enough for that !

The Tesla model 3 is from £42,500 and the model X from £82,000. The Hyundai is a little cheaper at £37,000 for the base model. I would imagine that it will be some time yet before decent used models of these cars are available on the market.

So the practical towing electric dream will remain unaffordable for many for some time to come.

Julie Grafo and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:18 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

The latest episode of "Fifth Gear Recharged" on channel 5 shows the Skoda Enyaq electric SUV towing a caravan from £33,000

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:11 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:20 am
by Randa france | 12.891 Posts

Tesla Model Y

Earlier today on Eribafolk Facebook, member Steve Sangster from New Zealand reported:-

Steve Sangster
Excellent! We have an Eriba 310 down here in New Zealand. Started our towing adventures in February this year and got to stay at the northernmost point of the north island. In October we head off for 3 weeks, going from home (Kaikohe, 3 hours north of Auckland) to Nelson (north of the South Island) and return. We tow with a Tesla model Y and get 200-250km range depending on terrain. Which we have plenty of! Spend a week tootling our way there, a week there then a week to return. Involves ferry too.
So yes, EVs can tow. And will charge at most campgrounds #neverunhook
Edit - it's over 1000km each way

Steve Sangster 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Steve Sangster.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

https://www.carwow.co.uk/tesla/model-y#gref

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:35 pm
by Randa france | 12.891 Posts

Oh Dear. Someone spotted this picture on the Caravanistas de Portugal Facebook Page.

Entitled Caravan 1 Tesla nil.

Seen on a Portugese Caravan Group site..jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:35 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:41 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

where is the rest of tow bar?
normally they have plates that go down either side of chassis legs and bolt through, this looks like only bolted to back panel!!
hope no one hurt

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:59 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Oh dear me. It looks like the caravan Handbrake was on, but even so.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:24 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

Quote: dinky wrote in post #50
where is the rest of tow bar?
normally they have plates that go down either side of chassis legs and bolt through, this looks like only bolted to back panel!!
hope no one hurt

Not technically true as it depends on the design of the car.
Our BMW towbar is only bolted on by 8 bolts that originally held on the bumper beam. It's not pulled the back end off yet and we've towed many thousands of miles.
If that image is genuine then it shows poor body engineering / construction by Tesla. Admittedly Tesla quote quite a low towing limit of 1000kg and 55kg hitch load.

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet
Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:33 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

well id class a bmw as well engineered quality car thats probably made stronger, compared to a made as light as possible electric car, that's just my opinion

my own car and one before has chassis leg plates holes factory made for the bolts. its a heavy piece of kit the tow bar.

chezmart and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:36 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Dinky, I do not believe it is as straight forward as that regarding weights and strength. Electric vehicles are generally heavier than ice vehicles and as such you would expect a stronger build.
I'm guessing here and I'm not one who bets, but, I'd expect that van exceeded the 1000kg limit of the Tesla.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
dinky and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:51 am
by JonS | 6 Posts

If you're interested to hear a range of real experiences from people who are actually already towing caravans with EVs, I'd recommend the Caravanning With Electric Vehicles UK Facebook group (I can't post a link yet as I'm still a newbie here)

The overall conclusion seems to be that for some people it works really well and has some advantages over petrol and diesel alternatives. People are making some adjustments to the way they travel, but it's working for them. For others (e.g. if you haul big daily distances with a large van), it's probably not the right choice. It's horses for courses, but there are definitely real people enjoying towing with an EV out there.

Eribas seem pretty popular!

Last edited Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:50 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:08 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Caravanning With Electric Vehicles UK Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/756828822465212

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:53 pm
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

I can see the attraction of an electric car - max torque at zero revs being the highest on the list - but it depends on your individual circumstances. For us it's 140 miles to Dover - this appears to be just over the distance most electric cars will manage on a charge, so, you need to either charge en route, or do a stop over and charge. No Motorway services seem to be prepared for charging whilst being hitched up, so you need to unhitch (I have watched the video of Andrew Ditton travelling from London to Scotland and his needing to unhitch before charging), which is hardly ideal. We often travel at night/early hours for quieter roads and I don't fancy doing that in the dark.

And then there's the cost of an electric car. As an about to be fully retired couple I do not see how we will be able to ever afford an electric car. I have just picked up a Volvo V40 190bhp Euro 6 diesel done only 50,000 miles which may well become our tow car when my Euro 5 V70 dies, however it is interesting to note that Euro 5 and Euro 6 diesels are in the same Crit'Air class in France (Class 2), unlike the UK where you can take a Euro 6 into London with no ULEZ charge. And ours doesn't use AdBlue, which makes ownership easier.

France is the more critical decision for us frequent continental travellers, as several French autoroutes run through Crit'Air zones (e.g. Rouen) and you will be fined for not displaying a Crit'Air sticker when you pass through the zone (€135 currently) and, potentially, banned from travelling through those areas on high pollution days.

I'm afraid that, having to charge every 100 towing miles or so just isn't going to cut it for us. Andrew Ditton says most fast chargers only take you to 80% capacity before fears of overheating the battery cut the charge rate right down and it is viewed as unreasonable to charge beyond 80% on a public charger...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:31 am
by dinky | 211 Posts

the costs

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:47 am
by Islay | 220 Posts

A friend of mine here was persuaded to buy an EV for his company use. He usually charges it at Lidl for not a lot. One of his technicians took it to see a client and charged it on a motorway and got charged 99Euros. Not happy! It seems that having an electric tow car is fine if you really don't go far. In our local supermarket, you see old peeps parking in the charging bays because they don't want to walk any further than they have to to get to the shop. My son bought a Kona that he's coming to see us with today. I'll ask him how he's getting on with charging.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Simboc2004 and dinky like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:11 pm
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

A friend of mine bought a brand new electric Mercedes SUV earlier this year. When I saw him the day after buying it, just north of Ipswich, he told me he needed to charge it (no home charging point yet installed), but he was going to have to drive 2 hours to Norwich and back to do so, because all the public chargers in Suffolk were out of service... As EVs get more common, charging them will get harder, not easier, because the charging infrastructure is just not there.

The ultimate irony is that they are best suited to city use, but you can't charge them outside the vast majority of houses or flats, whereas, in the countryside, where it's far more likely you'll be able to charge your car at home, the range of electric cars becomes a big issue.

And, due to the high weight, they eat tyres.

Another colleague of mine bought a Nissan Leaf. Great for the 8 mile commute. However, they lived in rural Suffolk and, every week, she needed to take her daughter to play hockey at Bury St Edmunds. 38 miles each way. She soon found out that, if it was sunny, she could make it there and back, but, if she needed to use the lights, or even the wipers, then it was unlikely she'd make it home...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
dinky likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12542 topics and 105789 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3