RE: Tesla Model 3 Towing a Classic Troll

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:19 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

because there are no hydrogen filling points. with EV folk can charge their cars at home but you cant do that with hydrogen

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:31 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #30
My cynical mind says that th[quote=""|p91109]My cynical mind says that the lack of mass charging capability is why cycling is being pushed so hard, but the UK weather and the long distances people commute or indeed travel around to do their jobs can't really be met by bikes.

A conspiracy theorist may say Covid was released to force people to work at home.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Steamdrivenandy likes this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:59 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:43 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Quote: Just_Chilin wrote in post #31
because there are no hydrogen filling points. with EV folk can charge their cars at home but you cant do that with hydrogen

True, the early adopters, with their houses right next to their drives and/or sufficient funds to install a bollard somewhere accessible can charge at home and such properties maybe make up a fifth of UK stock. But the rest in parked car choked terraced streets, pre car era housing with no drive, flats, etc with no sensible availability of fast charging capacity, what do they do. Maybe flatten a whole block of houses for a charging car park, maybe asphalt the local park for the same. Maybe be faced with a half mile walk to find your car of a morning. These things need thinking through.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:50 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

i read recently there is no legality preventing folk running electricity cables from their homes to their cars on the street across public footpaths. There'd only be a problem of liability if somone was injured or damage was somehow caused.

You could imagine cables all over the place then:(

I'm afraid the issue about thinking things through isnt the forte of politicians: they only do things for the here-and-now.

The situatiion that you allude to when all the joe bloggs in their terraced houses have a need for charging points is a longer term problem and is not likely to be on their radar.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:07 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Quote: Just_Chilin wrote in post #34
i read recently there is no legality preventing folk running electricity cables from their homes to their cars on the street across public footpaths. There'd only be a problem of liability if somone was injured or damage was somehow caused.

You could imagine cables all over the place then:(

I'm afraid the issue about thinking things through isnt the forte of politicians: they only do things for the here-and-now.

The situatiion that you allude to when all the joe bloggs in their terraced houses have a need for charging points is a longer term problem and is not likely to be on their radar.

You can see all sorts of jury rigged cabling running across pavements, fine if you get to park outside your terraced house but supposing your car is 100yds away on the opposite side of the road? How about weather proofing all that 240V spider webbing about the place and then there's whether there's enough current capacity at each house and each local area.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:16 pm

Eribaists should be able to rig something up to run a cable across a road using their spare awning poles.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:27 am
by Randa france | 12.891 Posts

Hyundai IONIC 5

One of our Facebook members has just gone all electric with this car.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/cars/hyunda...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jim Leach says:- Finally we make the leap, now 100% electric! First test tow was a 40 mile round trip. It tows totally effortlessly, super stable, and best of all entirely silent.. Love it.
Full ev. It's a awd model so not the most economical but it's looking like we can get about 280 miles if driven very steady. 160 mile if towing the troll. It has a new 800v platform which can charge at upto 220 kw / hour so it can charge from 10% to 80% in around 18 mins.

Jim Leach.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:27 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:41 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

That's good to hear and a lot more info than I got out of Hyundai. I phoned and e-mailed to enquire if a vehicle is to be made available to the press for towing and heard nothing. I the Ionic is the closest thing yet to a possible tow car that works. Double the range and it would meet most towers needs.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:21 pm

Just following this thread, Hyundai are producing a hydrogen-fuelled car (FCV fuel cell vehicle)

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/nexo

Steve

Randa france and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:46 pm
by Bryn | 994 Posts

Do you get a starting handle with it?

Last edited Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:47 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:05 pm

Quote: Bryn wrote in post #40
Do you get a starting handle with it?

Well, sort of

Key.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:49 pm

Hyundai IONIC 5

Jim Leach, yesterday.
·
So today was the day, our first trip. 130 miles to Coniston, the car pulled the Eriba effortlessly. All the automated driving assistance worked just as well as it does without the caravan, and also just as silent. Such a relaxing drive.
So this was a relatively safe test as I was confident we would make it without needing to charge, 80% motorway at 60mph the rest on small often hilly country roads. The car performed better than expected and we arrived with 25% battery left which means we should get an absolute max range of around 170 mile. Comfortable route plan range of 150 -160 miles.
We are now trickle charging from the caravan, should be full again in 30 hrs but there is a 7kw public charger just over the road. If we need a quick over empty to full while we are here.
Just wish the weather was as good as the car

Jim Leech.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:50 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:21 am

Back in 2018 we discussed the merits of Electric Tow Vehicles and Nils-Henrik Henningstad from Norway said this about towing with his Tesla X:-

Electric Tow Cars

Nils 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Quote:- I dont even notice its there 😁(except range of course). With the big battery you can go 300kms per charge with the Eriba. We are going to travel across Europe in August, putting it to the test 😎

I think it would be possible to charge at the campsites, but it is not necessary. There are superchargers everywhere, and you can charge for free at Tesla's own chargers.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/supercharger
·
Today, in response to a question about Electric Tow Cars on Facebook, Nils-Henrix said this:-

I have been towing our Eriba with a Tesla X since 2018, done probably 20-30.000km with the camper hooked on. You lose about 25-50% of range depending on weather, speed, etc. With a Tesla X LR/100D you can manage 300-340km with an Eriba on a single charge. Any questions I'll happily answer them, we have been around all of europe (almost)

Nils.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:21 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:58 am

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:10 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.465 Posts

Maybe Father Christmas can send me one, otherwise I fear excellent as it is, I will never be able to afford a Tesla 😁

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
SOULBLUESMAN68 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12542 topics and 105789 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2