RE: Tesla Model 3 Towing a Classic Troll

in We've got it down to a T Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:13 pm
by JonS | 6 Posts

It sounds like the sums don't add up for you - like I said, it's horses for courses.

Last edited Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:14 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:22 pm
by Islay | 220 Posts

My son, who is delighted with hos Kona, says that to go on holiday, he'd rent a petrol car. He lives in Rennes and the car is perfect for driving to work etc. He came to us this weekend which entailed a charge-up at our local supermarket before he could go home. It might have been possible but a bit stressful.

As for towing, it appears to be fine for people who don't want to go anywhere quickly due to the frequent charging stops..... what do people do while they're waiting interminably for the charge? It's a heck of a constraint. So much for the freedom of a camping holiday. People sound as if they're slaves to their batteries. It's not for us.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:16 pm
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

I have friends who have an EV and who booked a charging slot on a UK motorway service area, then got delayed, missing their slot and having to wait hours for another chance. Not somewhere I want to spend my day... I always go back to my lifelong mantra - "never be an early adopter"...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:55 am
by JonS | 6 Posts

In 30 months of driving my Tesla I have once or twice needed to wait five minutes for a charger, which is no worse than my experience in petrol and diesel cars. Normally there are several available. When we stop, it's usually for my benefit as the driver rather than because the car needs charge. While I have a short break to grab a drink and go to the loo, the car charges and is usually ready to go before I am. I hope anyone who is genuinely considering switching to an EV finds this and the Facebook group helpful.

Randa france and dhj_oceandrive like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:51 pm
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

I think Tesla are the only company who really thought through the infrastructure - they laid on chargers all over Europe on the motorway network. If only I could afford one, that's the EV I'd buy!

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
JonS likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:35 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

JonS,
have you towed your Puck L with your Tesla. If so what is realistic and stress free mileage expectation. Also how do you get on when charging at a comercial charging point with it on the back.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:07 pm
by JonS | 6 Posts

@simboc2004 - I was fortunate to be able to afford it, but that's exactly why I chose a Tesla in 2021. The Tesla charging network has been head and shoulders above the rest for long distance trips (speed, number of chargers, number of locations, reliability, ease of use). But the gap is closing - there are new, non-Tesla high speed charging stations opening all the time, and part of the Tesla charging network are now open to non-Tesla cars too. But it does still requires some changes to the way we travel (mainly a bit of forward planning), and that wouldn't suit everyone.

Jon

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:21 pm
by JonS | 6 Posts

@eribaMotters - We have the Tesla, but haven't got the Puck L yet (it's still in the plan though) so I can't speak from personal experience. According to people on the Facebook group, they're seeing 120-160 miles comfortably (maybe 180 theoretically) depending on the rig. Towcars that keep cropping up are Tesla 3 and Y, Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq5, Volvo XC40 and Polestar 2. Lots of Eribas (mainly 5xx) but some big square things too.

With the Model 3 and Puck L I'm hoping I'd do a bit better than that as aerodynamics seems to be the biggest factor affecting range, and the Puck L is no wider than the car (1.8m) and only 2.05m high with the roof down (which is better even than the 'full size' Eriba Tourings)

Charging is still a pain in most places and generally involves unhitching, which would understandably be a showstopper for many. But some tolerate it and are having fun towing in the UK and to Europe. It's not the same as towing with a diesel. Hope that helps. As soon as we take the plunge with the Puck, I'll post an update.

Jon

eribaMotters and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12542 topics and 105789 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3