RE: I've a Feeling

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:36 am
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

We bought 18 bottles of champagne in Épernay last year and brought them back in innocence, thinking they came under the wine allowance (in reality only 12 bottles of fizz are now allowed duty free). Luckily no checks at Calais.

They only just lasted us until Christmas...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:37 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:43 am
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

My recent experience suggests that Customs examinations do seem to be cursory, if they take place at all. A little 'ingenuity' can perhaps ease the rather restricted permitted quantity nowadays. However, don't blame me if it goes horribly wrong!

And of course, the limits are per person, so if there are 2 of you (not unlikely) 48 bottle of wine and 24 fizz (or variation as is permitted on the fizz allowance) does ease the pain a little...

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:45 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:01 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

Aha! Didn't think of that! We could have brought more back... Ah well, next time!

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:42 pm
by Islay | 215 Posts

My Mum always said to go through the red gate if you've got too much and claim ignorance. I've done it in the past and been waved through. Perhaps they're less strict if you don't try to fiddle LOL

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:44 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

More tweeks.
I did not like the sink cover they gave me as it was poorly fitting, so made a new one in birch plywood.
40 - original sink cover.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)41 - plywood sink cover.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
The space behind the gas heater can be put to good use for storing spare bed linen, so I repeated the job I'd previously done on our Triton.I've left an 80mm gap between the boxing and fire back, similar to the space above and to the sides of it with the factory cabinetwork.
42 - original wardrobe base.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)43 - frame for new wardrobe base storage.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)44 - new wardrobe base storage, loose.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)45 - new wardrobe base storage, fitted.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)46 - - new wardrobe base top.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Last socket now fitted. That's 3 doubles and three singles in the van and a double in each of the under bed lockers.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004, smitton, Islay and Old Rocker like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:21 pm

Last bits done, I think. Two photos showing roof detail [for Roger] with the roof nice and clean. It took nearly three hours with bleached water and a toothbrush to clean all the algae ad crap out of the grooves etc that Wandahome should have done.
47 - roof up detail a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)48 - roof up detail b.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
I also had to re-attach the mains in connector. When they took it out to check the wiring they obviously stripped the plastic so the retaining screws lost grip and it came away from the van with my hook-up lead. It only took 10 minutes to fix but wyt are these little things so bloody annoying. Just like the lack of cable ties on the mover wiring under the van, or the rough approach to putting holes through the floor and not sealing them.
49 - finished.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 and dinky like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:23 am

One more,
I use a wi-fi booster when free wi-fi is available. The unit will work at up to 200-300m, suckers to the side of the van or window and a cable runs to a small router. On my Triton I brought this up through a hole in the floor where the rear locker is, so I've repeated the job.
50 - i boost.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Plumbing fittings with rubber washers from Toolstation are mounted in Iroko [poor mans teak] with stainless steel screws and lots of Geocyl roofers mastic. Black fitting under the van, white fitting inside the locker and a short length of white waste pipe to sleeve the hole through the floor.
I was expecting the floor to be faced with the same plywood but found the inside was 9mm and the outside was 6mm.
51 - access hole a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)52 - access hole b.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)53 - access hole c.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)54 - access hole d.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Colin

Simboc2004 and dinky like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:26 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #22
I use a wi-fi booster when free wi-fi is available.
I've jotted down your booster password.

You never know, it might come in useful sometime.

eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:59 pm
by zippy | 70 Posts

Is your mover at an angle? in the photos it looks like it tilting downwards

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:42 pm

You are correct. The mover does sit at an angle pointing downwards. The caravan has two deep folded chassis members running lehgthwats. These taper towards the front of the van and the back. The mover mounts are fitted to these members, a cross rail is fitted to the mounts and then the mover to the cross rail. My concern was the ground clearance I was going to get, but this is actually fine.
It does not look the most attractive of installations, but the only other way would be to fit the movers designed for specifically bolting to the chassis rails.
Truma were the factory ft option and used to be just under £3,000. The current factory option is the Alko Mammut at £2200. Nobody I spoke to in the UK was prepared to aftermarket fit the Alko due to issues with aftersales, customer service etc.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:58 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #25
lehgthwats
You might get away with that kind of potty-mouthed stuff on Facebook, but not on here.

Aaron Calder and Islay like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:18 pm
by Randa france | 12.874 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #26
Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #25
lehgthwats
You might get away with that kind of potty-mouthed stuff on Facebook, but not on here.

Facebook. He's not on facebook. we wouldn't allow him to join us even if he was.

R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Islay likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:29 pm

Bliidy typos.
And that Faceslap thing. They told me to join when I teaching as it was a good way to share good practice. I never did.

Colin

Last edited Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:30 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

Well done Colin the Feeling looks really nice, looking at the new Eriba prices I couldn't afford a new one again, although they don't make a Familia 320 anymore. The small swift Compact is about the same width and length as a troll, it is about £15k cheaper with a lot more equipment. I think "Steamdriven Andy" had one but I have noticed that he now has a Bailey Phoenix 420?
I don't foresee myself ever changing my Familia 320 so I just hope the famous longevity lasts another 20 years.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:03 am
by smitton | 21 Posts

Interesting original post Colin, and timely for me. I recently visited Red Lion in Lancashire as I was passing (I was in the area, not looking for a van).

First impression was the large number of Eriba on display, both traditional and Feeling, new and used etc. We were taken aback at the prices of Troll models and it may be that Eriba are going to have a struggle to move “Touring” at these prices. Our van (542) is fairly well spec’ed and in this market would be north of £36k to replace. That is a serious investment in a small caravan.

Personally, the high prices of the new Touring range is compounded by the change in options, the prominence of chrome, the slimmed hitch area, the décor finish in the saloon etc. Not all to my taste but we are all different.

Then you turn around and see the alternatives, the Feeling etc. Well spec’ed, high-quality finish etc and at a lower price, just as Colin states, you could easily be tempted. That’s before you walk over the yard to Adria etc (as probably many people would do). The overall impression, to a non-Eriba enthusiast, would be just how much more you appear to be getting for significantly less money. This disparity appears greater with the recent price rises.

We all know the reasons we chose Eriba and they remain intact. But, this is becoming a very competitive market post-covid with seemingly a glut of new and used caravans for buyers to choose from. You do have to be fairly single minded now to go for a new Eriba. I know it was probably ever thus and I am not saying anything that we probably don’t already know. It just feels a bit starker to me now. Interesting times.

2019 Touring 542 Adventure gently pulled by Mercedes B180 Petrol Auto
Aaron Calder and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105660 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4