Page 7 of 8 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next Page »

RE: Awning gutter strip

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:20 pm
by Keef (deleted)

Oh here we go again.Ribski I didn't want to mention it before but your right the tubes do exert to much pressure on the van/ awning rail. Didn't want to mention it as this thread was getting long and complicated. Have a word with your supplier. With the awning uninflated it is possible to open the tube sleeve and get to the actual tube. The tube is folded back on its self and you can just fold it back a little earlier i.e. Make the folded back bit a bit longer.
It's an old tube trick. I needed a replacement a few years ago for my tent, the guy only had a longer one so he folded back on itself, perfect
Regardless of warranty invalidation I've done this on my pop awning.
Awning MUST be deflated

Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:24 pm
by Keef (deleted)

You must speak with supplier ref tube shortening.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:23 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

Just a thought. On this awning - see photos - there is a ring attached at each end of the bit that goes through the awning rail (Kadar strip?) I can't remember if it's a D ring or a round one but any way quite strong. At one end a guy line is attached to the ring by means of a carabiner. The guy line then goes right round the back of the van through the awning rail. It is attached to the ring at the other side again using a carabiner but this time using a loop with a guy line runner (preferably plastic so as not to scratch the van) to allow you to tension the guy line well thus holding the awning tight and presumably stopping the ends of the Kadar strip coming out. Sorry the photos are not very clear but I had to crop radically to zoom in on the detail. Perhaps the idea could be adapted for the Kampa. Means adding something on rather that cutting bits off!!

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_4653.JPG 
 IMG_4654.JPG 

Last edited Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:36 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:08 pm
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #84

Kampa come on here. This entire thread is feedback.

Pete is correct. The Kampa technical guys look in on this forum and our Facebook page and I have linked this thread to them.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:23 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:56 pm
by pianosteve (deleted)

Have had my (Isabella) gutter strip since May 2016 and have made a couple of,admittedly, half-hearted attempts to install it with absolutely no success whatsover.
However, emboldened by this thread and hugely assisted by the superb photos posted by "Deeps" I had another go and with the assistance of an aerosol of silicone lubricant the strip went on fairly easily.
If there is a more useful club/forum than the Eriba Folk for anything anywhere I have yet to find it. What a truly magnificent resource. Thank you.

Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:35 am
by Geoff (deleted)

Have recently purchased my third Eriba Troll after a gap of 10 years together with a Kampa Air awning. The Troll is every bit as good as I remember however the Kampa Air awning has been a nightmare. Not only is it heavy and difficult to thread into the awning rail but it pulls out at both ends even after the suggested modification. The awning itself fits badly despite repeated attempts to peg it out and looks just "wrong". It leaks like a sieve at the awning rail and have had to install the suggested plastic strip at an additional cost of £25. Surely this should come with the awning if it is an absolute requirement? At a cost of £707 (now £849) this is not a cheap bit of kit and I would expect something that works. I have caravanned for well over 25 years and this is the first time I have had a problem with any awning of which I have had quite a few.
Kampa really must do better!!

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:34 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Certainly agree with you about the weight issue. The 365 is the biggest of Kampa's inflatable dolls and you've got to support all that while trying to thread it through the rail. All the publicity videos shoe how quick it is to inflate - but only once it has been threaded. Removing the front panel before fitting is recommended and it does make a little difference.

Sadly that won't make any difference to the fact it looks like Norah Batty's stockings once fitted. The reason it looks 'bad' is because it was not designed to fit the post 2010 higher awning rail - this affects all models, not just Trolls

As the rail is higher than the one for which it was designed, the front arch is forced to tilt forwards.

This exerts extra tension on the rear arch forcing it to bend which puts more pressure on the keder strip - even with the mod.

Many people have fitted awning clips to stop that pull out - even on older vans that do not have the height issue.

The resulting tilt means that you cannot get the sides to sit properly. No matter how much you mess with the pegging it will always look like a sorry sack. I found that I needed to raise the feet of the front arch 4 - 6 inches to get the sides to sit properly. Demonstrated to dealer - instant refund.

Many people are happy with their Kampa awnings - many are not.

Yours clearly doesn't fit. Return the item as not fit for purpose - there's enough people already done that - and don't take no for an answer from the dealer.

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:22 am
by Magpie | 672 Posts

'Sadly that won't make any difference to the fact it looks like Norah Batty's stockings once fitted. The reason it looks 'bad' is because it was not designed to fit the post 2010 higher awning rail - this affects all models, not just Trolls'

How bad is bad? Please, has anyone taken any pictures of the Kampa pop awning on a post 2010 Eriba? The Kampa website, of course, only shows them looking perfect.

Last edited Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:22 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:28 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

The 3 photos below show the issue. The small stool is the one used to raise the front arch to correct height.

Have a scoot through the Eriba Facebook group - you'll see more from other victims.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/eriba/

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 side_panel_ from_inside_arch foot_pulled_fwd_to max.jpg 
 side_panel_ from_outside_arch foot_pulled_fwd_to max-1.jpg 
 side_panel_ from_outside_arch foot_pulled_fwd_to max_on_stool.jpg 

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:26 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

Thank you for those. Have looked at Facebook as you suggest. Not very inspiring, is it? I understand it is worse on the newer vans. We have a very good, but very heavy awning and were thinking of a lightweight, easy alternative for our 2015 Troll. Will think again!

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:23 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Magpie wrote in post #100
We have a very good, but very heavy awning and were thinking of a lightweight, easy alternative for our 2015 Troll. Will think again!

So too us - a Walker awning and we are giving serious consideration towads having a Thule 6200 plus adapter as supplied by Hymer along with a Thule Residence G3 front and sides. Have seen this setup at the current campsite that we are staying at and it looks a smart and sturdy setup with near enough as anything the same volume of usable space as the Walker on our Troll 540.

Last edited Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:24 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:30 pm
by blue maden (deleted)

Hi Colin. I am going to order one of these Kampa awning gutter strips. We had quite a bit of rain water ingress during our dampish stay in france this September. Have you moved up this way yet?

Mercedes C250 coupe followed by Troll GT542
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:19 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

Chris,
you will have noticed some debate over the gutter strip, some say it works whilst others have used physics to show it does not.
I believe a strip does have some use. It definitely keeps some of the build up of leaves against the fabric at bay, so still worth buying.
I would contact Lowdhams or Jandi for the proper genuine Eriba strip though. Please do not be tempted to buy the very inferior Kampa version. I damaged my gutter when attempting to fit mine and have Sikaflexed it into place permanently.
I used one of the genuine Eriba strips with my Fortex and I could easily fix it in a couple of minutes each time I needed to put the awning. You will still get some wicking though with drips running down the side of the van. I have had this with all of my awnings in varying degrees.

We are still awaiting a date for the move up your way. The chain has broken twice at the bottom and we thought we may have lost the Formby bungalow. This bottom of chain first property has now been ditched, a new first buyer found, with searches set for next week. Hopefully all should be fine and I'll let you know when you can bring the wine around.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.

Last edited Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:31 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:37 pm
by Valjoneribafan | 43 Posts

Hi Roger, I have fitted the eriba strip to our 420, was a bit tight to fit but managed
to click it into place and have left it on, have used the van quite a lot this year and
it is still firmly in place. John

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:47 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #103

you will have noticed some debate over the gutter strip, some say it works whilst others have used physics to show it does not.

Ah, that could possibly be me, Colin, and the attached image of the so-called 'white strip' fitted to an Eriba in combination with a Walker awning should help explain my argument.

The 'white strip' is clipped on to the top of the vans rain gutter and effectively raises the depth of the gutter at the point of it's attachment. However, as water physically cannot rise above the lowest point i.e. the top of the rain gutter, then by simple logic the 'white strip' cannot function as a dam wall so to speak. Were a situation to arise that the rain gutter becomes overwhelmed by the quantity of water i.e. very heavy rain it will then overflow even if one were to attach a plastic strip of 1 metre in height.

Accepting that the 'white strip' serves no purpose whatsoever in holding back the rain, the water overflowing from the rain gutter will find it's way into the awning channel below (C). As the awning beading is NOT a watertight fit, some of the water now in the awning rail will flow along the rail itself the direction of which being dependent upon any slope of the van. It should be remembered that this is happening at both ends of the caravan although the image is obviously only showing one end.

Additionally some rain water will flow into the channel created by the awning flap and sit nicely at the point where the flap is stitched to the main awning (A). My own experience has shown that a good spraying of this stitching using a product such as Aquatex at the beginning of the season helps considerably.

When the main body of the awning is pushed upwards e.g. the ridge is being constructed (the blue section in the image) then yet another deep channel is created at point (D). As there is also stitching at this point it also pays to apply sealant here too.

So what purpose does this 'white strip' serve? In my view nothing other than to provide something for the flap to slip over. In my view the deep channels created at points (A) and (D) create a nice gully for water to sit and collect. The awning material is not soft and anyone who has looked along the length of the gully at point (D) after the awning has been erected will surely not have failed to notice that there are many little indentations where water simply sits. If this wasn't an area of stitching the situation probably wouldn't be worth noting but in this situation it is.

As to point (B) the gully created here is a magnet for all manner of tree fall when the awning is erected for any length of time and if not periodically checked and cleared if necessary, the collection of leaves etc effectively restricts the clearance of rain water in the channel. The only means of access to this gully once the awning has been erected is by opening the triangular net piece in the pop-up skirt and with the use of an extendable broom.

All in all, with the design of the awning rain I don't believe it will ever be possible to create an entirely 100% watertight awning bead seal although keeping all the created gullies/channels clear in addition to spraying the stitching with Aquatex certainly helps considerably.

2017-10-26_092249.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Williebraveheart likes this post!
Scroll up

Page 7 of 8 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next Page »

Visitors
3 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105588 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3